Turn Off Ads?
Page 66 of 68 FirstFirst ... 165662636465666768 LastLast
Results 976 to 990 of 1012

Thread: Indiana Basketball

  1. #976
    All Fired Up Revering4Blue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    NE Indiana
    Posts
    1,504

    Re: Indiana Basketball

    Speaking of past recruiting classes, here they are. Read 'em and weep.

    http://mypage.iu.edu/~dyeskie/iurecruitsbyyear.html
    "I have just been more than a little suspect of all the trades since the Willy (Scott Williamson) cash grab. That one left such a bad taste in my mouth that even a 1985 Dom Pťrignon couldn't cleanse it." -- Creek14

  2. Likes:

    Assembly Hall (02-24-2014)

  3. Turn Off Ads?
  4. #977
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,176

    Re: Indiana Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Michael Lewis was a scorer in high school. I do believe he led the state his senior year at over 30 ppg. He gets to IU and he forgets to shoot? Guyton was something else, he was a player.
    Yeah I remember early on in their freshman years, it felt like they were in the opposite roles they ended up in.
    Guyton seemed like the point guard who could see guys making cuts before they did. Lewis was the scorer. But for whatever reason Lewis never was able to score at a high level, and Guyton became the absolute focal point of the offense.

    Of all the guys in the mid to late 90's though, he's probably not in the top 10 of guys I would be frustrated with how his career turned out. The 92-95 classes of guys were the bottom of the barrel. A who's who of talent unrealized(Charlie Miller), statistically good but still disappointing(Patterson) big tall stiffs(Mandeville, Eggars, Mujezinovich) and assorted transfers before during and after they stepped on campus.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  5. #978
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,608

    Re: Indiana Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    I disagree. Let me see.............Quinn Buckner, Scott May, Butch Carter, Isiah Thomas, Jim Thomas, Tony Brown, Dean Garrett, Keith Smart?????????

    RMK's downfall was when guys from out of state weren't as good as the hype.....Andrae Patterson, Charlie Miller, Richard Mandeville, Jason Collier...etc.

    But I will agree that IU doesn't need to go outside the state to find competitive talent.
    Actually I should have said outside of the region, RMK recruited Ohio,Indiana and Illionis mostly occasionally going into Wisconsin.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

  6. #979
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,608

    Re: Indiana Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Michael Lewis was a scorer in high school. I do believe he led the state his senior year at over 30 ppg. He gets to IU and he forgets to shoot? Guyton was something else, he was a player.
    Different roles, Lewis wasn't asked to be a big time scorer at IU.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

  7. #980
    We are back! Assembly Hall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Warsaw, IN
    Posts
    742

    Re: Indiana Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    Speaking of past recruiting classes, here they are. Read 'em and weep.

    http://mypage.iu.edu/~dyeskie/iurecruitsbyyear.html
    Great link!!!!!!!!!
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

  8. #981
    We are back! Assembly Hall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Warsaw, IN
    Posts
    742

    Re: Indiana Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Different roles, Lewis wasn't asked to be a big time scorer at IU.
    Well, he sure as heck wasn't recruited to pass the ball. Knight lands a kid that scored over 2,000 points in high school then calls him into his office and says "Mike, we don't want you to shoot the ball"? LOL

    I know he fell into a role, but I felt he didn't shoot the ball enough. I do believe he shot the ball at a 50% clip for the Hoosiers in his career.
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

  9. #982
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,608

    Re: Indiana Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Well, he sure as heck wasn't recruited to pass the ball. Knight lands a kid that scored over 2,000 points in high school then calls him into his office and says "Mike, we don't want you to shoot the ball"? LOL

    I know he fell into a role, but I felt he didn't shoot the ball enough. I do believe he shot the ball at a 50% clip for the Hoosiers in his career.
    Most kids who play at big time colleges are scorers in high school, not everyone's skill set translates into being a huge scorer in college. Lewis had a good career at IU.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

  10. Likes:

    Revering4Blue (02-24-2014)

  11. #983
    We are back! Assembly Hall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Warsaw, IN
    Posts
    742

    Re: Indiana Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Most kids who play at big time colleges are scorers in high school, not everyone's skill set translates into being a huge scorer in college. Lewis had a good career at IU.

    Really? Never made the connection!!!!! LOL 2,000 points in Indiana High School Basketball is a rare commodity. He could flat out shoot it, and did for his entire high school career. Think about it, 20 games a year is the norm. What does the math come up to?

    I get the translation part all too well. I am just saying that I scratched my head about Lewis not scoring. I didn't knock his career at IU and never intended to.
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

  12. #984
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,608

    Re: Indiana Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    Really? Never made the connection!!!!! LOL 2,000 points in Indiana High School Basketball is a rare commodity. He could flat out shoot it, and did for his entire high school career. Think about it, 20 games a year is the norm. What does the math come up to?

    I get the translation part all too well. I am just saying that I scratched my head about Lewis not scoring. I didn't knock his career at IU and never intended to.
    He was like 6'1" and wasn't the quickest guy in the world. Jeff Olliphant scored a ton in high school too, Delray Brooks was unstoppable in high school but could not score at IU, it happens. One thing I liked about Lewis was he would go back at RMK, didn't see that often.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

  13. Likes:

    Hoosier Red (02-24-2014)

  14. #985
    We are back! Assembly Hall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Warsaw, IN
    Posts
    742

    Re: Indiana Basketball

    What an entertaining game to watch last night! Am I wrong in thinking that sealed an NIT bid?
    ...and this one belongs to the Reds.

  15. Likes:

    dubc47834 (02-28-2014)

  16. #986
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    343

    Re: Indiana Basketball

    Of course last night's game is the one I decide to skip and watch at home... Most fun game of the year. IU morphed from a team that plays great defense and can't score to a team that can't miss or play defense. Obviously it would be nice to see them combine offense and defense, but I'd much rather watch a game in the 80s than a game in the 50s.

    Very happy for Sheehey. This has been a rough season as a team, but especially for him. A lot was expected of him and he hasn't really delivered. But last night he was a star. It was also good to see Hollowell contribute some real minutes. His stat line wasn't great, but just being consistently aggressive is good to see.

  17. Likes:

    dubc47834 (02-28-2014), Hoosier Red (02-28-2014), Razor Shines (02-28-2014), Revering4Blue (02-28-2014)

  18. #987
    First Time Caller SunDeck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    5,392

    Re: Indiana Basketball

    I am now convinced that the point of Tom Crean and Co. is to drive the IU fanbase nuts.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

  19. Likes:

    Hillsdale87 (02-28-2014)

  20. #988
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    7,176

    Re: Indiana Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by SunDeck View Post
    I am now convinced that the point of Tom Crean and Co. is to drive the IU fanbase nuts.
    It's not a drive. It's a short putt.

    I keep thinking of the Godfather.
    "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in."
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

  21. #989
    Bread Gloves Razor Shines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Austin, Texas
    Posts
    6,308

    Re: Indiana Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    It's not a drive. It's a short putt.

    I keep thinking of the Godfather.
    "Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in."
    All we gotta do is win the B1G Tourney and we're in...then anything can happen.

  22. #990
    Stat geek...and proud
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    New Paris, OH
    Posts
    2,575

    Re: Indiana Basketball

    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    All we gotta do is win the B1G Tourney and we're in...then anything can happen.
    I think they can get in without winning the tourney.... they just have to beat both Michigan and Ohio State. Not likely, but not impossible.
    numbersinthereds.blogspot.com I actually made a post on 7/24/14. I promise.

  23. Likes:

    dubc47834 (02-28-2014)


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25