Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Bats introduce Bell

-The Insider-

Bats introduce Bell

The Louisville Bats had a press conference Thursday to introduce its new manager, David Bell:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Pt8jNxTV260
    Last edited by cinreds21; 01-20-2012 at 10:32 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    -The Insider-

Re: Bats introduce Bell

New Louisville Bats manager David Bell spoke briefly after his introductory press conference at Louisville Slugger Field about his new position.
    On his ties to Louisville...

"[My grandfather] grew up here, my grandmother spent time here as a kid and they all have family in the area, so I feel a pretty strong connection from that here. He went to Flaget and I know that the building is still there, I'd like to drive by and check it out. But, as a kid we came down here when he was down here, so I feel like it's kind of a second home away from Cincinnati. I had the opportunity to play here, and my brothers played here. So, it's just kind of overall just kind of a special place here, it's always been that way."

On Louisville Slugger Field...

"It's way better [than the fairgrounds], it's just a beautiful ballpark. It's just laid out so well. It seems like a very fan-friendly ballpark. I love the mix between the new and the old."

On growing up in Cincinnati...

"Actually I was little more of a fan of whoever [my dad] was with. So, when he went back to Cincinnati it was perfect. Cincinnati was also home in a way so they were always like the second team that we would follow. Obviously those were great teams, that's something that I know as an organization we want to get back to and it could happen soon."

On growing up in a baseball family...

"Well, there was a lot of baseball and fortunately we liked it, so it was a great way to grow up. We got to spend a lot of time around the ballparks. My dad would have us around as much as possible. It was a great way to learn and just have fun. It was a great childhood."

On being a part of his hometown Reds...

"It means a lot, I think it adds a whole additional element to [managing] because it's home, because my dad, my grandfather and my brother all played in Cincinnati. So, there's a lot of reason to feel that way and I'm really grateful to be in this position with the Reds."

On what he accomplished managing in Double-A...

"I think a big part of the way I judge myself is how the players do when they go up. In that sense, I feel pretty good about it. It would've been fun to win more games."

On his managerial influences...

"Well, I would have to say all those guys (Dusty Baker, Lou Piniella, Mike Hargrove) [were influences]. Looking back, what a great experience [it was] being able to play for all of them. They're all so different. So, [I'm] able to take a little bit from each one. I never played for my dad, but obviously he's a big influence in my life. To be able to pull from all of those people has been very helpful. Dusty, of course, is here with the Reds and I got to play for him in 2002 and it was a great experience."

On being with successful teams as a player...

"Anytime I think of my career playing, I think of playing in the playoffs and playing in the World Series. First, I'll think of San Francisco, and then I think also about the teams we had in Seattle that went to the playoffs. The teams in Seattle... not only were they talented and we had good teams, but everyone got along really well and it was just a lot of fun. [Those were] guys that you stay friends with for the rest of your life. Those were the kind of guys on that team."

On what Bats fans can expect in 2012...

"[We'll have] a good mix of guys coming up and guys that don't make the Major League team. We'll have the talent, that won't be the question.... This team will play hard, this team will play to win."

Turn Off Ads?