Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Jonathan Mayo's Top 10 Catching Prospects - Mesoraco #2

Jonathan Mayo's Top 10 Catching Prospects - Mesoraco #2

2. Devin Mesoraco, Reds:
    Ramon Hernandez is gone. The prospect who might have pushed him, Yasmani Grandal, was dealt to San Diego. It's clear the Reds believe Mesoraco is the future behind the plate in Cincinnati. His game has come together over the past two years and he made his big league debut last September. Mesoraco has good power at the plate and a good approach that should allow him to hit for average as well. A plus arm has led to some high caught-stealing rates in the Minors, and he's a natural leader behind the plate. Even if Mesoraco shares time with Ryan Hanigan at first, the job should be his for a long time.

Also, Grandal listed at #6
    6. Yasmani Grandal, Padres:
    The possible competition for a big league job between Grandal and Mesoraco was averted when Cincinnati sent Grandal to San Diego in the Mat Latos deal. The 2010 first-rounder is now the Padres' top catching prospect, and after finishing 2011 in Triple-A, he should be knocking on the door soon. Grandal showed an ability to hit from both sides of the plate, with some power and an advanced approach at the plate. He should be a capable catcher defensively, though he could use some move development time, and his strong arm enabled him to throw out basestealers during his climb. Only Nick Hundley really stands in his way, and when Grandal is ready, he should be given an opportunity.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jonathan Mayo's Top 10 Catching Prospects - Mesoraco #2

Still not sure I rank Montero above Mesoraco, especially in a catchers list.

Wonder how far down the list Tucker Barnhart would be. Arguably the best defensive catcher in the minor leagues and some on base skills. Like Ryan Hanigan before him, I'd bet he ends up with a better career than many of the more highly touted guys in front of him.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Still not sure I rank Montero above Mesoraco, especially in a catchers list.
    Let's assume we're just talking about short term value. If over the next few years, the M's use Montero behind the plate 60-80 times (DH the rest of the time) and he hits an adjusted .300/.400/.500, is that more or less valuable than 100 games and .270/.350/.450 from Mes?

Montero's upside is what, Mike Piazza? Mes's upside is what, Brian McCann? I know which of those two I'd prefer.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Let's assume we're just talking about short term value. If over the next few years, the M's use Montero behind the plate 60-80 times (DH the rest of the time) and he hits an adjusted .300/.400/.500, is that more or less valuable than 100 games and .270/.350/.450 from Mes?

Montero's upside is what, Mike Piazza? Mes's upside is what, Brian McCann? I know which of those two I'd prefer.
    Sure.... except the amount of people who even think Montero can be Piazza bad behind the plate can probably be counted on one hand.

Also, I don't think Montero is going to walk enough to carry a 100 IsoD.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post

Then Montero would be more valuable (to an AL team). But those numbers are pure speculation. You are assuming that Montero will greatly exceed his AAA numbers while Mes will fall far short of his AAA numbers.

In 2 full season at AAA, Montero has not OPS'ed .900 (it was .814 last season), so why would he put up a .900 in MLB, especially at Safeco? The .400 OBP seems especially unlikely for Montero.

Quote Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
    In 2 full season at AAA, Montero has not OPS'ed .900 (it was .814 last season), so why would he put up a .900 in MLB, especially at Safeco? The .400 OBP seems especially unlikely for Montero.
    1. He was using round numbers as examples.
    2. Montero was "bored" with the minors and frustrated he wasn't up sooner; therefore, he didn't try as hard as he could have.
    3. It he concentrates only on hitting, Montero should improve a great deal. Mesoraco, OTOH, has to concentrate not just on hitting, but on learning his pitchers, his game calling, and his defensive craft.
    4. DHs don't tire out. Catchers do.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

If Mes is the next Brian McCann or Mike Piazza, or Pudge i'd be cool with that and I think that it's hard to compare Montero being a DH to Mes catching, it's two different ballgames, but personaly i would rate the catcher hitting .270 over a DH hitting .300 due to the ablity to play the field as well

I'm guessing Montero is Piazza (as an AL player, he's a part-time DH), while Mesoraco is Pudge as an offensive player. (Perhaps a bit more if his power continues to play.)

That may be All Star level for Mes. It will be All Star level for Montero.

Again, IMO.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Turn Off Ads?