Turn Off Ads?

Thread: ATM issues

Threaded View

ATM issues

I currently live in Guatemala while serving as a Peace Corps volunteer.

This morning I went into a nearby city to withdraw some money using my Wachovia/Wells Fargo debit card. I attempted to withdraw 1000 Quetzales (or about $133) from an ATM that I have used countless times over the past year and a half. Everything seemed fine until it became apparent that no money was going to be dispensed. Stupidly, I repeated this process only to again not receive any cash.

I then called to check on my balance and soon found out that the funds had been withdrawn from my account. This was not a good feeling. I went to the local Guatemalan bank whose name is on the ATM and they simply told me this was an issue I needed to take up with my American bank.

I called Wells Fargo and was told that the only thing I could do at this time was to file a complaint and wait 10 business days to see if the funds can be reimbursed. The representative said that Wells Fargo will investigate the problem. I am obviously quite worried about this. $266 is a considerable sum to me at this moment.

I would like to think that in this day in age Wells Fargo will know exactly where this ATM is located and can get in touch with its operator who will realize he is holding an extra Q2000($266). I have my doubts however.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone at RZ has had a similar problem and what if any results they had with their bank. Also, would be interested to hear what you think my chances are of recovering anything from this ordeal.

Thanks.
    Last edited by zacharync; 01-20-2012 at 03:11 PM.
    "Baseball is 90% mental -- the other half is physical."
    - Yogi Berra

Turn Off Ads?