Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Apple TV vs. Google TV

Apple TV vs. Google TV

I'm thinking about buying apple TV, but am considering google TV as well. The main reason I want apple TV is to watch mlb.tv on it, which I don't believe you can do from google TV, at least not very effectively. My dad has google TV, and he doesn't care for it that much.

That being said I'm not really an "apple guy", and don't have an iphone or ipad or anything (although I'm considering the switch to iPhone). I'd love to be able to play music through it, stream netflix, rent movies and tv shows through it, etc. Just wanted some opinions if anyone out there has experienced either of these items.

Thanks.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: Apple TV vs. Google TV

I have two apple TV's in the house which we use to stream netflix and mlb.tv and now WSJ.
    The kids watch Youtube stuff on the big screen.

I like it, but it does lose the connection frequently (I have Uverse internet 12 mbps). It doesn't carry hulu. I'd like to see an easier interface for typing stuff for searches.
    I once rented a movie from iTunes, but its always cheaper at a Blockbuster kiosk.
    My daughter has an iPhone and can control the apple tv with it.

There are rumors of a new upgrade or new device coming out sometimes, so you may want to hold off a bit.

There is also the Roku and Boxee as options. I think the Roku is cheaper and carries hulu.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    I have two apple TV's in the house which we use to stream netflix and mlb.tv and now WSJ.
    The kids watch Youtube stuff on the big screen.

I like it, but it does lose the connection frequently (I have Uverse internet 12 mbps). It doesn't carry hulu. I'd like to see an easier interface for typing stuff for searches.
    I once rented a movie from iTunes, but its always cheaper at a Blockbuster kiosk.
    My daughter has an iPhone and can control the apple tv with it.

There are rumors of a new upgrade or new device coming out sometimes, so you may want to hold off a bit.

There is also the Roku and Boxee as options. I think the Roku is cheaper and carries hulu.
    How well does mlb.tv work on it?

I am able to access MLB.tv on my Samsung Blu-Ray player in my living room. Also, it is on my LG LED TV in my master bedroom. I can get it on my roku in my spare room. Check around, if you have a blu-ray player you might already have access to MLB.tv as long as it is connected to the internet.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    How well does mlb.tv work on it?
    It's not bad. Sometimes it will freeze, but not really often. I don't know if its better or worse than on the other platforms.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Nerdvana Annihilation

I just got the Logitech Revue Google TV. It's amazing! Plus they came down in price from $300.00 to $80.00 on amazon.com

The Google Tv & Movies app is what makes the product a huge success. Being able to scroll your LIVE TV and see the choices by box title is pretty cool. Plus it hooks up to my PC, TV, Theater System, and Cable box. It even has the Android market where you can download just about any app.

Netflix and Amazon Prime works perfect on it for streaming as well. I haven't checked about MLB network app yet. (Will do this today)

Turn Off Ads?