Turn Off Ads?

Thread: SB Nation: What about Bob?

SB Nation: What about Bob?

The name "Bob" is almost extinct in modern day sports.

http://www.sbnation.com/2012/1/18/27...-sporting-bobs
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Re: SB Nation: What about Bob?

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    The name "Bob" is almost extinct in modern day sports.

http://www.sbnation.com/2012/1/18/27...-sporting-bobs
    I blame Bob Boone.

GL

/Bob Purkey, Bob Bescher, Bob Borkowski, Bob Tolan, Bob Quinn, Bob Howsam and Bob Castellini weep silently.
    // Need to convince Robert Stephenson to go by Bob, he could corner the Bob market.
    Last edited by gonelong; 01-19-2012 at 04:35 PM.

You win.

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    I blame Bob Boone.

GL

/Bob Purkey, Bob Bescher, Bob Borkowski, Bob Tolan, Bob Quinn, Bob Howsam and Bob Castellini weep silently.
    // Need to convince Robert Stephenson to go by Bob, he could corner the Bob market.

I'm sure it's not a sports thing, but more a society thing. I think of the first names of many of my older relatives (some of whom are deceased) and most of those names are rarely given to newborn babies these days. I have an uncle Bob who's in his 70's, but I can't think of anyone I know (relative, friend or co-worker) with that name who's under the age of 30 or so. I'm sure we could come up with a list of quite a few names besides Bob that are also becoming "extinct".

From 1924 to 1939, Robert was the #1 baby name. From 1940 to 1952, it was #2 and then had a brief re-appearance at #1 in 1953. That's a lot of Bob's. Both my dad and older brother are named Robert.

And then it steadily dropped all through the years till 2009 when it was #55. It was #54 in 2010.

Everything you ever wanted to know about given names here... http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/babynames/
    Last edited by Roy Tucker; 01-20-2012 at 08:14 AM.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Seems like most Roberts start out as Robbies and grow up to be Robs now, and then, even when you do get the occasionally Bobby, he stays a Bobby. And you have to think a lot of the Roberts are Robbies-Robs because their Dads or Granddads are already the Bob in the family.
    Last edited by blumj; 01-20-2012 at 08:52 AM.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Turn Off Ads?