Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Crowded Rotations

Resident PED Expert

Crowded Rotations

Just was looking over the Winter Signings and what was left in the system after the trades and MiLB FA.

There seems to be a lot of scrap at the top and a log jam at the bottom...

AAA

Chapman
    Reineke
    Atilano
    Klinker
    Carroll

Outside shots:
    Gallager - probably ends up in the bullpen
    Gustafason - probably released
    Tanner - Probably ends up in AA

AA

Villarreal
    Tanner
    Ravin
    Crabbe
    SUlbaran

Others:

Partch -never has put up good numbers. Maybe bullpen?
    Fairel - Had TJ surgury and did not fair well in his return.
    Hotchkiss - Could end up back in the pen but always performs better as a starter.

High A

Smith
    Corcino
    Reneken
    Pearl
    Lotzkar

The rotation here looks pretty set barring injury.

Low A

Cigrani, Clarke and Quezada probably are locks then there is a motley crew of guys fighting it out.

Robles - Control issues
    Johnson - Had surgury... 100% yet?
    Mungarian - Struggled in Billings
    Guillen - Control Issues
    Stevenson - #1 pick ready for Dayton?
    Green - Bullpen or Rotation?
    McMyne- Didn't seem to have any out pitches.
    Gerson - Fodder or prospect?
    Cisco - Is he recovered from surgery?
    Beard - Not ready yet
    French - Looked good in the AZL
    Bender - Ditto
    Tuttle - How many games left on his suspension?
    Garrett - Will probably start in AZL this summer.
    Ramano - Ditto
    Dennhardt - Ditto
    Amezuca -Hasn't pitched much in 2 years...

Anybody have any insight?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Crowded Rotations

That AA rotation looks really nice. Crabbe, Ravin, Villarreal, and Sulbaran are all coming off pretty good seasons in Bakersfield, and I wager that at least one of them will emerge as a consensus top 10 prospect in the system by the end of the year. I don't know too much about Tanner, other than that he was a third round pick who put up some pretty consistent seasons in the lower minors and still wasn't too bad last year.

As for overcrowding in the lower minors, it's likely that the ones who get to Dayton will have had experience in Billings, where they'll fight to survive when everyone else gets out of training camp or forces their way through. I don't think Stephenson will get a test run above the rookie leagues until at least halfway through the season.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    I don't think Stephenson will get a test run above the rookie leagues until at least halfway through the season.
    Really? I just assumed that Stephenson would start in Dayton. I expect the Reds to have strict pitch counts with Robert, but I would expect him to start in Dayton either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    Really? I just assumed that Stephenson would start in Dayton. I expect the Reds to have strict pitch counts with Robert, but I would expect him to start in Dayton either way.
    I don't mean that I expect him to spend any time in Billings, but I would imagine he'll see time in extended training camp, as Torreyes did last season. My impression is that he needs to work on his secondary offerings, particularly his changeup, before he starts getting in the reps in the Midwest league. I may be easily mistaken, but I'd take expectations with him for next season with a grain of salt.

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I would be surprised. The Reds seem to be over cautious when it comes to young arms. Every high-end young arm they have had has started low and moved their way up... Maybe Stevenson is different, IDK, but I would bet money on the side of him starting in Billings.

Coming off the injury, I would expect to see Pearl back in Dayton to start the year

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    I would be surprised. The Reds seem to be over cautious when it comes to young arms. Every high-end young arm they have had has started low and moved their way up... Maybe Stevenson is different, IDK, but I would bet money on the side of him starting in Billings.
    Sulbaran started in Dayton. Jacob Johnson started in Dayton. Wood and Bailey both spent the year after the draft in Dayton. Kyle Lotzkar started his first year after being drafted in Dayton.

So really, every high school arm taken in the first three rounds going back to 2004 has started in Dayton the year after they were drafted.

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    Mike Leake???
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?