Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yu Darvish

Yu Darvish

From Espn....
    "We haven't heard much, if anything at all, on whether or not the Detroit Tigers or the Chicago Cubs have interest in Darvish, but they spend money and have a need in the rotation. The Reds don't figure to jump into such a bidding war, but the Washington Nationals scouted Darvish several times this season, tweets Amanda Comak."

I think its interesting that we would even be mentioned at all, even if it is saying that we probably wouldn't go after him. Walt came out of nowhere to grab Chapman, you have to wonder if he could do it again with Darvish. Obviously it would take a lot of money and it may very well be unrealistic to think the reds could even come close to that kind of money but if we let cordero go and found someone to take arroyos contract off our hands could it be possible?

Darvish has the potential to be that #1-2 that we need and he doesn't cost any prospects.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    -The Insider-

Re: Yu Darvish

I'd rather spend that money elsewhere.

I think the Chapman signing put Cincy on the map, so to speak. That said, I want no part of Darvish at what he's going to cost. Remember, Daisuke was the best pitcher in Japan when he came over as well. The amount of power in MLB compared to Japan makes it a very different game. In Japan, Matt Murton is a legitimate MVP candidate and Hideki Matsui is Hank Aaron.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

The thing about Chapman is he was open to negotiate. I want nothing to do with top notch Japanese players due to that insane bidding war just for the right to negotiate.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

I'd love it if Castellini bought the rights.

I also don't have Castellini's money.

"Me Reds, Yu Darvish"
    That bad joke 75 million posting fee and 50 million over 5 years to Mr. Darvish may get it done. Posting fee could actually be over 100 million.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I think the Chapman signing put Cincy on the map, so to speak. That said, I want no part of Darvish at what he's going to cost. Remember, Daisuke was the best pitcher in Japan when he came over as well. The amount of power in MLB compared to Japan makes it a very different game. In Japan, Matt Murton is a legitimate MVP candidate and Hideki Matsui is Hank Aaron.
    This.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    The thing about Chapman is he was open to negotiate. I want nothing to do with top notch Japanese players due to that insane bidding war just for the right to negotiate.
    That and the fact that most Japanese League stars fall far short of expectations when they make the jump to MLB. For every Ichiro and Matsui, there are several Dice-K's, Fukudome's, Irabu's, etc.

Also, with the Reds already rolling the dice on Chapman, they won't be able to afford to be in the running for Darvish. If Walt is going to sign a big-money free agent this offseason (which I doubt he does) it will be a proven MLB player IMO.

The posting fee is going to be bigger than the Reds' entire payroll.

There is also Hideo Nomo.

he did not suck.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Maybe.

Probably not, IMO.

Both the Yanks and Red Sox have been burned by high profile Asian SP struggles. They may choose to sit this one out.

The Mets and Dodgers have questionable finances, the Phillies don't need him, and neither do the Braves or the Rangers.

Who does that leave among the large markets?

Perhaps the Cubs or White Sox. Maybe the Orioles. The Nats could be a darkhorse, but they've got a sneaky good pitching staff right now. (That's a team with high upside, IMO.)

I could see Miami going big, but there's not a large Asian market in South Florida. They're looking for Cubans and Latinos to sell tickets.

I'm guessing a much lower posting fee and perhaps no deal this season.

I don't know how true this still holds since the book was written many years ago but in the book, "You Gotta Have Wa" they said that the Japanese teams work the hell out of their pitchers. They make Dusty look like Sparky. Perhaps they are all right for a short term investment but the workload in Japan could leave them a greater candidate for injury sooner rather than later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

This should be a medical decision as much as a baseball decision. If this guy stays healthy, he is a likely perennial all-star. Filthy. He's a much bigger guy than Daisuke or any Japanese player to come to the U.S. His dad is not Japanese FWIW. Little known fact - his parents met while studying abroad in the U.S.
    Last edited by cincinnati chili; 10-30-2011 at 10:41 PM.
    Stick to your guns.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    The posting fee is going to be bigger than the Reds' entire payroll.
    And that's ridiculous.

The draft needs to include international players. And it needs to be pre-slotted for pay like the NBA and now the NFL.

We can't have major league teams taking a chance on a wasted investment on players who are unproven as American major leaguers. Lock a bunch of money in a bust. There needs to be some sanity in these dealings.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    And that's ridiculous.

The draft needs to include international players. And it needs to be pre-slotted for pay like the NBA and now the NFL.

We can't have major league teams taking a chance on a wasted investment on players who are unproven as American major leaguers. Lock a bunch of money in a bust. There needs to be some sanity in these dealings.
    You bring up an interesting point. I always assumed that the proposed international draft rule would exempt players over a certain age and/or players who had already played professionally somewhere in the world. Maybe I assumed wrong.
    Stick to your guns.

Turn Off Ads?