Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays: 1/23

Birthdays: 1/23

Reds:

Wily Mo Pena (30) -I think of him a lot more fondly as an ex-Red than I did as a Red. The "Mo" is short for "Modesto" BTW...

Marty Brown (49) -3B who had three stints with the Reds in the late '80s without ever being able to get above the Mendoza line. Later played and managed in Japan; currently the manager of the Las Vegas 51s.

Don Nottebart - A Red in 66-67. Known for pitching the first no-hitter in Houston history, and for surrendering Willie Mays's 500th homer.

Others:

Charlie Spikes (61) - His real first name was Leslie; he went by Charlie or his ultracool nickname: "The Bogalusa Bomber".

Kurt Bevacqua (65) -Originally a Reds draft pick. Starred in a losing effort in the 1984 World Series for San Diego. Also the 1975 Topps bubble-blowing champion.

Joey Amalfitano (78) -Some names are just fun to say out loud and "Joey Amalfitano" is one of them. A Reds coach in '78, but best known for spending 16 years coaching third for the Dodgers.

Chico Carrasquel -A highly regarded shortstop back when they weren't expected to hit. Nellie Fox's double-play partner before Luis Aparicio, who was very similar to Carrasquel but better. The first Latin-American to start an All-Star game.

Sam Jethroe -"The Jet" played Negro League ball in Cincinnati before breaking into the majors in 1950 with the Braves. Led the league in steals his first two seasons, but faded quickly after that, possibly because he was four years older than his listed age- he was 32 as a rookie instead of 28.
    Last edited by chicoruiz; 01-23-2012 at 10:04 AM.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field

Re: Birthdays: 1/23

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Kurt Bevacqua (65) -Originally a Reds draft pick. Starred in a losing effort in the 1984 World Series for San Diego. Also the 1975 Topps bubble-blowing champion.
    I have never forgotten Kurt and his bubble-blowing champion thing. I guess things like this leave an impression on you when you are a kid. I vividly remember the Topps card that showed him with his winning bubble being measured by the baseball-bats measuring-stick. Johnny Bench represented the REDS that year in the big contest and was a one-n-done. lol

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    I have never forgotten Kurt and his bubble-blowing champion thing. I guess things like this leave an impression on you when you are a kid. I vividly remember the Topps card that showed him with his winning bubble being measured by the baseball-bats measuring-stick. Johnny Bench represented the REDS that year in the big contest and was a one-n-done. lol
    I remember all of that too. I think they had a playoff of bubble gum blowing on the pre-game for Monday night baseball on NBC. Joe Garagiola hosted it. I'll always associate Bevaqua with winning that.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

King Lear- Yes, the Reds actually had a pitcher called "King Lear" on their roster in 1914-15. I don't know if he had three daughters named Regan, Goneril and Cordelia...
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Worth The Wait

WMP is only 30? Good grief I feel like I heard his name for the first time about 20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Edskin View Post
    WMP is only 30? Good grief I feel like I heard his name for the first time about 20 years ago.
    31 now, if that helps.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Turn Off Ads?