Aroldis Chapman $2 million
    Bill Bray $1.417 million
    Ryan Hanigan $1.2 million
    Miguel Cairo $1 million
    Jose Arredendo $875,000
    Paul Janish $850,000
    Andrew Brackman $500,000
    Total $72.69 million

The (8) "zero service time to three years service time guys" will make a total of about $4 million.

$76.7M payroll in 2012.

Not what I had figured.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds 2012 payroll according to John Fay

He is privy to the deferments. If you go off Cot's you only get the contract total for each player, not deferments.

With all of these deferments, sometimes I wonder if there isn't a tear down option in the plans after 2012, or 2013, or whenever.

Lot's of baseball yet to play so by no means is it early enough to fully know the financial status of the Reds, but there is some hefty money due. Not sure how that effects anything year to year.
    Unofficial Johnny Cueto Cy Young Campaign President For Reds Fans by a Reds Fan
    Johnny Cueto's Next Start:
    JUNE 27, 10:15 PM ET @ AT&T Park
    Crushing their heads!

I thought Ryan Madson only gets 2mil during the season?

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    I thought Ryan Madson only gets 2mil during the season?
    $2M during the season, $2M in November, $2M in November of 2013, and a $2.5M buyout.

Did Massett already win his arbitration case?-he'd only get 2.9 million if he won the case.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mdccclxix View Post
    He is privy to the deferments. If you go off Cot's you only get the contract total for each player, not deferments.

With all of these deferments, sometimes I wonder if there isn't a tear down option in the plans after 2012, or 2013, or whenever.

Lot's of baseball yet to play so by no means is it early enough to fully know the financial status of the Reds, but there is some hefty money due. Not sure how that effects anything year to year.
    My guess is they're expecting the guys from Dayton and double AA to start arriving in 2014, and the major league club can cut some payroll, and catch up on these deferments.

Just my guess, as you intimated.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Here’s the payroll:

Brandon Phillips $12 million
    Joey Votto $9.5 million
    Ryan Madson $8.5 million
    Bronson Arroyo $7 million
    Scott Rolen $6.5 million
    Johnny Cueto $5.4 million
    Jay Bruce $5 million
    Sean Marshall $3.1 million
    Nick Massett $2.9 million
    Ryan Ludwick $2.5 million
    Homer Bailey $2.45 million
    Aroldis Chapman $2 million
    Bill Bray $1.417 million
    Ryan Hanigan $1.2 million
    Miguel Cairo $1 million
    Jose Arredendo $875,000
    Paul Janish $850,000
    Andrew Brackman $500,000
    Total $72.69 million

The (8) "zero service time to three years service time guys" will make a total of about $4 million.

$76.7M payroll in 2012.

Not what I had figured.
    This list is not counting:

Deferred Signing Bonus to Votto Payable this year $1.5 Million
    Deffered Signing Bonus to Rolen Payable this year $1.3 Million
    Deferred Signing Bonus to Chapman Payable in November $1.25 Million
    Option Buy-out to Cordero $1 Million

That's $5 Million more that will come from this season's budget.

Also guessing that an Annuity Funding for Arroyo - Not sure how much, but I'd guess around $3 Million.

Finally, the $4 Million may account for this, but I'd say Minor leaguers earning big league pay while the major leaguer is on the DL probably adds another Million or more.

That pretty much uses up the entire $85 Million.
    Last edited by mth123; 01-23-2012 at 07:38 PM.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

What about the money due to Jr?

Quote Originally Posted by SirFelixCat View Post
    What about the money due to Jr?
    Already funded and coming from an annuity.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Start the Reactor! *BaseClogger*'s Avatar

It really bothers me that they have to get so creative with all these deferments to simply have a payroll of $80... :/
    "On-base percentage is great if you can score runs and do something with that on-base percentage," Baker said. "Clogging up the bases isn't that great to me."

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    It really bothers me that they have to get so creative with all these deferments to simply have a payroll of $80... :/
    Yeah, bothers me too.

1. Makes me think a Votto LTC is completely out of the question.
    2. Has me scratching my head about 2013, 2014, and beyond, as some of these contracts increase, and other guys need signed.

Daggone. Frickin' raise ticket prices a little. I think they will see better attendance this year with all the moves they made. I only went to a few games last year. I bet I pay to go to 15 to 20 this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    My guess is they're expecting the guys from Dayton and double AA to start arriving in 2014, and the major league club can cut some payroll, and catch up on these deferments.

Just my guess, as you intimated.
    I think this is correct. The offseason after the 2013 season is likely to be a purging.

I expect 2014 to be "The Great Rebuilding Year" Maybe 2015 as well.

Guys like Votto, Phillips, Stubbs, Arroyo and Bailey will likely be allowed to walk via FA.

Guys like Latos, Cueto, and Leake could all be considered for trades to restock the system with younger, cheaper talent.

I'm sure the Reds will hang onto a couple of "big names" like Bruce and Chapman for continuity and attendance purposes.

But hopefully prospects like Hamilton, Soto, Sulbaran and Corcino will continue to develop and the cavalry will arrive, soften the blow, and provide hope for the future.

The circle of life continues.
    Go BLUE!!!

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Didn't Navarro sign for $800K as well?

I think if Latos performs like an ace in 2012 he becomes the centerpiece of the team and Votto is gone after 2013. I can see Latos and Phillips extensions after next year.

If you look at 2014, the Reds will still have Aroldis, Latos, Leake, Bailey, Cueto under control. Also, Bruce, Heisey, Stubbs, Mesoraco will be under control. It's not impossible to imagine that veteran team being a contender as well. 2015 holds a lot of promise as well, if players that are on the team now establish themselves as 1st or 2nd division players.
    Unofficial Johnny Cueto Cy Young Campaign President For Reds Fans by a Reds Fan
    Johnny Cueto's Next Start:
    JUNE 27, 10:15 PM ET @ AT&T Park
    Crushing their heads!

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Adding Cordero's buyout ($1M) and Votto's 2012 bonus ($1.5M) and the lower end of the 2012 payroll (using the rest of Fay's numbers) would be $79.2M.

Adding Navarro (800K) and the deferments and the number could be as high as $88M.

So $79M on the low end and $88M on the high end.

Turn Off Ads?