Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Organizational Depth Chart

Re: 2012 Organizational Depth Chart

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The Reds aren't the team that skips guys over levels like that. At least not guys like this. College guys going from rookie to High A, sure. But Stephenson isn't going to go from Billings at 19 to High A at 20. He isn't going to go from High A at 21 to AAA at 22. He is a guy who is going to hit every level on the way up from wherever he makes his first start at. If they start him in Billings, he will be in Dayton next year because there won't be enough time for him to do enough of both Billings and Dayton in 2012 for him to start in High A in 2013.

As far as what happened with Sulbaran.... I think his situation is different from the others. He was clearly not mature enough his first time through Dayton. As you noted, he didn't take his work seriously. There were reasons for that, which I won't go into and he has gotten beyond that. The other guys all didn't seem to have that problem. If the Reds were going to change their philosophy because of Sulbaran, they wouldn't have had Jacob Johnson in Dayton when they did. Sure, he had some experience as a pro. In the Gulf Coast League, with no one watching but the players and coaches. Stephenson probably starts the year in extended spring training, but I would say the odds that he makes it to Billings are less than 20%. Maybe I am completely misreading things here, but the Reds haven't been shy about promoting their premiere guys at all. Stephenson is exactly that type of guy.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I won't go any further into it than I did. There were some circumstances going on with JC that first year or two in Dayton. They are now behind him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Pothead? (completely made up guess)
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Pothead? (completely made up guess)
    Nothing like that at all. It is nothing bad at all.

Nothing like that at all. It is nothing bad at all.
    How is being a pothead bad? It did wonders for the minor back pains I had while in Colorado.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    How is being a pothead bad? It did wonders for the minor back pains I had while in Colorado.
    Well, for starters, it is illegal and that would bring into question maturity issues due to the fact that you are risking a whole lot by doing it as a professional athlete with potentially millions and millions of dollars on the table. Secondly, not only is it illegal, it will get you suspended at the level he is at right now. Say what you want about it being illegal being stupid.... but it is illegal and someone in his situation would be stupid and looked at as immature to be partaking in such activities with all that is on the line for someone in his position.

Well, for starters, it is illegal and that would bring into question maturity issues due to the fact that you are risking a whole lot by doing it as a professional athlete with potentially millions and millions of dollars on the table. Secondly, not only is it illegal, it will get you suspended at the level he is at right now. Say what you want about it being illegal being stupid.... but it is illegal and someone in his situation would be stupid and looked at as immature to be partaking in such activities with all that is on the line for someone in his position.
    It wasn't illegal when I was smoking it in Colorado. I could've gotten an Rx had I lived in Bakersfield, too.

Besides, in some instances, I'd say it's the smart thing to do. Not only are there the medical benefits, it can get you added to the 40-man roster sooner, which would escalate your pay. Just ask Jeremy Jeffress.

It wasn't illegal when I was smoking it in Colorado. I could've gotten an Rx had I lived in Bakersfield, too.

Besides, in some instances, I'd say it's the smart thing to do. Not only are there the medical benefits, it can get you added to the 40-man roster sooner, which would escalate your pay. Just ask Jeremy Jeffress.
    And maybe had Jeffress not served 150 games worth of suspensions he would have made it as a starter and been able to get a whole lot of future money on a contract out of it. And legal in California or not, you can't use it as a minor league player not on the 40 man roster even with a prescription. But, I was talking about his time in Dayton, where it wasn't even legal with a prescription.

And maybe had Jeffress not served 150 games worth of suspensions he would have made it as a starter and been able to get a whole lot of future money on a contract out of it. And legal in California or not, you can't use it as a minor league player not on the 40 man roster even with a prescription. But, I was talking about his time in Dayton, where it wasn't even legal with a prescription.
    Actually, it was legal for him to smoke synthetic marijuana while he was in Dayton.

Actually, it was legal for him to smoke synthetic marijuana while he was in Dayton.
    Either way, he didn't and it would have been dumb for him to do so given who he is and what he has riding on his career.

Either way, he didn't and it would have been dumb for him to do so given who he is and what he has riding on his career.
    If it was something related to glaucoma, I think it would've potentially been a great thing to do. Was it related to glaucoma?

If it was something related to glaucoma, I think it would've potentially been a great thing to do. Was it related to glaucoma?
    He wasn't smoking anything. It is not related to anything of questionable decision making.

He wasn't smoking anything. It is not related to anything of questionable decision making.
    Was it related to anxiety? Marijuana can be prescribed for that, too. And if he wasn't smoking anything, are you saying he was eating pot brownies? That's quite the accusation, Doug.

camis, I know that comment was in jest, but people google players and they might not. So no, the issue had nothing to do with anything illegal or even questionable at all and is behind him.

camis, I know that comment was in jest, but people google players and they might not. So no, the issue had nothing to do with anything illegal or even questionable at all and is behind him.
    So it was questionably legal? Interesting. Was he building kits to be used by burglars?

Turn Off Ads?