Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Organizational Depth Chart

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: 2012 Organizational Depth Chart

Fair enough, but if he were to fall behind in terms of his age versus his level he could advance multiple levels in one year. The Reds might not skip a level, but moving up from Rookie, A to high A in one year...that I could see (or A > A+ > AA)(A+ > AA > AAA). I just don't see it as a big problem. I'd be more concerned with how they introduce him into the system in the first place. And I'd shy away from Dayton for a HS kid if I had the choice. At least for a little while.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Fair enough, but if he were to fall behind in terms of his age versus his level he could advance multiple levels in one year. The Reds might not skip a level, but moving up from Rookie, A to high A in one year...that I could see (or A > A+ > AA)(A+ > AA > AAA). I just don't see it as a big problem. I'd be more concerned with how they introduce him into the system in the first place. And I'd shy away from Dayton for a HS kid if I had the choice. At least for a little while.
    You think a guy can go from rookie to Low A to High A in a matter of 2 months and 3 weeks (the length of a rookie season)? Or did you mean rookie ball one year, then split Low A and High A the next year?

Regardless, I think that an appropriate timeline to shoot for with Stephenson would be to hit AA sometime in 2014.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Regardless, I think that an appropriate timeline to shoot for with Stephenson would be to hit AA sometime in 2014.
    I agree. Which means he needs Dayton this year and High A, wherever that is, in 2013.

I think that an appropriate timeline to shoot for with Stephenson would be to hit AA sometime in 2014.
    What's the rationale for this?

I think the player's performance has to dictate, not some high-level "map" based on major league needs, prospect pedigree or whatever.

It's important for players to experience success first in pro ball. Err on the side of caution. Stephenson will have plenty of time to show he can dominate a league and skip a level. Best to give him the chance to succeed/dominate and gain confidence before you challenge him with a level jump.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post

I think the player's performance has to dictate, not some high-level "map" based on major league needs, prospect pedigree or whatever.

It's important for players to experience success first in pro ball. Err on the side of caution. Stephenson will have plenty of time to show he can dominate a league and skip a level. Best to give him the chance to succeed/dominate and gain confidence before you challenge him with a level jump.
    Sure, but because of a players pedigree (which is based on their tools/abilities), a general timetable is something you should at least have an idea of.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    You think a guy can go from rookie to Low A to High A in a matter of 2 months and 3 weeks (the length of a rookie season)? Or did you mean rookie ball one year, then split Low A and High A the next year?
    I wasn't specifying a year. I'm just saying we've seen it happen multiple times where a guy advances 2 levels in one year (sees time in 3 levels total in one year). It might be 2 years from now, but if age per level becomes a concern he can be advanced later on. Bruce in '07, Cueto in '07, Mesoraco in '10, etc. I'm just saying that I'd worry about his age in regards to his level later on. Right now the concern should be to ease him into the pros. That's all. (and I was forgetting about some leagues being short seasons...sorry for the confusion)
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 01-24-2012 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post

This is basically what I was saying. lollipopcurve just stated it clearer. :O)

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I wasn't specifying a year. I'm just saying we've seen it happen multiple times where a guy advances 2 levels in one year (sees time in 3 levels total in one year). It might be 2 years from now, but if age per level becomes a concern he can be advanced later on. Bruce in '07, Cueto in '07, Mesoraco in '10, etc. I'm just saying that I'd worry about his age in regards to his level later on. Right now the concern should be to ease him into the pros. That's all. (and I was forgetting about some leagues being short seasons...sorry for the confusion)
    I get where you are coming from. I just wasn't sure if you meant in general or the rookie to High A in one year, which is nearly impossible, which is why I questioned it.

Slightly modified version:

Code:
    	AAA	AA	A+	A        
    C	Navarro	Fleury	Barnhart	
    1B	Soto		Lutz	
    2B	H.Rod  	Greene	Lohman	Wright
    SS	Janish	Didi   Hamilton	J.Perez
    3B	Frazier	        Vidal	Arias
    LF	Puckett	        Duran	Buckley
    CF	F.Perez	LaMarre		Waldrop
    RF	Phipps		Y.Rod	

SP1	Chapman	Sulbaran Corcino Cingrani
    SP2	         Ravin	Lotzkar	Stephenson

Top Three Rookie Leaguers to Watch	
    3B	Gabriel Rosa
    LHP	Amir Garrett
    LHP     Ismael Guillon
    Anyone have any glaring objections?
    Go BLUE!!!

I think one of Janish or Frazier is in Cincinnati while Valaika mans SS or 3b in AAA. That makes more sense to me.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

-The Insider-

I would guess that Henry Rodriguez starts 2012 in Pensacola, not Louisville. Then that would mean that Greene would play third and not second.

Quote Originally Posted by cinreds21 View Post
    I would guess that Henry Rodriguez starts 2012 in Pensacola, not Louisville. Then that would mean that Greene would play third and not second.
    Perhaps, but he did put up an .800 OPS in over 300 AA PAs already. Challenge thy hitters, especially if Phillips is not extended- H-Rod could be expected to be the OD 2B in 2013.
    Go BLUE!!!

-The Insider-

Yeah, I am not ruling it out, but I just think it's more likely for him to start back in Double-A. But I could be wrong.

Phipps is more of a CF guy to me he has a pretty good arm but the draft this year the reds must take the best avalible guy just to build up depth

Turn Off Ads?