Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Chevy Volt: 1 Year Later?

Re: Chevy Volt: 1 Year Later?

Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    Is the future really electric? It seems like the technology is limiting. I don't think America will catch onto a plug and drive system. It's going to take something like hydrogen or a substance that hasn't been invented yet for the auto industry to take that next step, in my opinion.
    dilithium crystals
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

2. Turn Off Ads?

My issue with plug-in cars has already been mentioned: I park my car in a parking garage. There is nowhere for me to plug in so a plug-in car doesn't make since for me or any of the other 300 families in my apartment building.

There is however, a significant portion (25-35%?) of the population for which an electric car makes sense today. People that live in a house or some place where they have access to electrical power and are a 2 car family.

I have owned a REAL electric car for 45 days now. The Leaf. It's a commuter car. Go to work, drive home, plug it in. Rinse lather repeat.

If we have to go long distances or take a second long trip during that day we take the gasoline car. I'm up to 1500 gasoline free miles so far.

Yes the price needs to get better. I never would have bought one without the tax rebate. $7500. But I plan to drive this thing forever, and will drive it whenever feasible. I figure every time I drive it over the gas car I am saving money.
    Last edited by JaxRed; 01-29-2012 at 03:30 PM.

I don't want an electric car. I like the hum of gas powered engines. Only way I go electric is if gas goes over 6$ a gallon before I'm 60. Then maybe I consider it.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I don't want an electric car. I like the hum of gas powered engines. Only way I go electric is if gas goes over 6$ a gallon before I'm 60. Then maybe I consider it.
    If I remember correctly the two of us are close together in age and I sincerely believe we won't have the option of gas powered cars (at least not new ones) by the time we are 60.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    There is however, a significant portion (25-35%?) of the population for which an electric car makes sense today. People that live in a house or some place where they have access to electrical power and are a 2 car family.

I have owned a REAL electric car for 45 days now. The Leaf. It's a commuter car. Go to work, drive home, plug it in. Rinse lather repeat.

If we have to go long distances or take a second long trip during that day we take the gasoline car. I'm up to 1500 gasoline free miles so far.

Yes the price needs to get better. I never would have bought one without the tax rebate. $7500. But I plan to drive this thing forever, and will drive it whenever feasible. I figure every time I drive it over the gas car I am saving money.
    How many batteries will you go through during "forever"? How much do they cost?

Not sure. We also have a Prius so I follow the technology. Although they are a different chemistry, they are still going strong even on the oldest models.

Not sure. We also have a Prius so I follow the technology. Although they are a different chemistry, they are still going strong even on the oldest models.
    To build on Sea Ray's comment, what sort of warranty came with the Leaf? As a general rule I don't like to buy first generation of anything and let the bugs get worked out with the early adopters. Being so new, I'm wondering if the terms were different from a conventional Nissan.

Also to add a point of savings......maintenance. No oil changes or radiators to flush and fill or break. No leaking gaskets.

And how does it drive? & Does it really get 100 miles?

Warranty - "Every US specification Nissan LEAF™ is backed by a New Vehicle Limited Warranty providing: 36-month/36,000-mile basic coverage; 60-month/60,000-mile powertrain and electric vehicle system coverage; and 96 months/100,000 miles Lithium-Ion Battery coverage."

A lot of people getting the Leaf are leasing. I leased once and vowed to never do it again. In addition, I plan to drive the ever loving snot out of this thing, and that doesn't sit well in a lease.

There will be WAY less maintenance. Electric motors are way more dependable. No oil changes, no air filters, no transmission fluid flushes, no pollution controls. it goes on and on.

I personally think it drives like a dream, and has super quick acceleration.

You really get 70-75 miles in "normal" driving. If all your trip was 55 and less you'd get 90 or so. But work for me is about 22 miles away, so no problem whatsoever.

I never would have bought one without the tax rebate. $7500.
    You're welcome.

Just be prepared for an electric car tax. States won't be happy with you driving on the roads without paying gas taxes to help maintain them.

I do realize that is coming. And it needs to eventually. I sure don't like the GPS options. I'd rather see a "report your mileage" option.

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    dilithium crystals
    On could only hope

I think price point is the main issue. If I'm paying $40k for a car, I'm looking for size or performance. For fuel economy, I'm looking for a car is affordable. If the Chevy Volt could be had for less than $20k, more people would buy it. As it is, if I could afford a new car, I'd probably go for a Volkswagen turbo diesel.

Chevy had a car that was affordable and got 50 mpg, the Sprint. I had one. Great for a college kid trying to save a few bucks.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I think price point is the main issue. If I'm paying $40k for a car, I'm looking for size or performance. For fuel economy, I'm looking for a car is affordable. If the Chevy Volt could be had for less than $20k, more people would buy it. As it is, if I could afford a new car, I'd probably go for a Volkswagen turbo diesel.

Chevy had a car that was affordable and got 50 mpg, the Sprint. I had one. Great for a college kid trying to save a few bucks.
    So the Volt has to be priced $5K under a TDI?
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    So the Volt has to be priced $5K under a TDI?
    Yes. I can go on road trips in a TDI without worrying about where to plug in if I need to stay at a hotel. If I'm buying a car that has limits on how I use it compared to another car, it needs to come in at a lower price. In my mind, inconvenience plays a role in the cost as well.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Turn Off Ads?