Thread: 2012 Oscar nominations are out

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2012 Oscar nominations are out

Melissa McCarthy, Bridesmaids

If she got a nomination for pooping in a sink, Jim Carrey should have received the Oscar for Dumb and Dumber. I am sorry, but Braidsmaids is a vastly overrated movie and I don't see how it comes close to an Oscar nomination

My two favorite films from 2011, Drive and 50/50, got next to nothing. I see quite a few movies every year (and I'm not talking super hero movies and Adam Sandler comedies) and still I've seen only one of the best picture nominations, Moneyball. War Horse and Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close have gotten mediocre reviews *and* performed poorly at the box office, yet the Academy has to suck up to that sappy garbage?

Ryan Gosling should be nominated for something, anything. JGL was excellent in 50/50. Give me Patton Oswalt from Young Adult over Jonah Hill for playing a lovable fat guy. Albert Brooks. How about a best picture nod for Dragon Tattoo?

Thank goodness Gary Oldman, Rooney Mara, and Nick Nolte got nominations...

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post

If she got a nomination for pooping in a sink, Jim Carrey should have received the Oscar for Dumb and Dumber. I am sorry, but Braidsmaids is a vastly overrated movie and I don't see how it comes close to an Oscar nomination
    I very much enjoyed Bridesmaids and I think Melissa McCarthy was good in that role.

Re:Baseclogger. I don't see what the buzz about Moneyball is. I thought it was ok, it put my wife to sleep. There was nothing "great" about the movie. Heck if I hadn't read the book and it wasn't about baseball I probably would have joined my wife watching it through my eyelids.

For a Level Playing Field

Seems like the Oscar winners are the movies I least likely want to see, while those that are not even mentioned at the ceremony are the ones I like. Guess I just do not "get Hollywood". And for that I am thankful! lol

I suffered through about 30 minutes of The Tree of Life. I certainly did not 'get' that movie.

La Dolce Vita

melissa mccarthy is a very talented comedienne. i'm glad to see the nomination, and i don't think it was for pooping in the sink.

goin' out on a short limb here and say "the artist" will win best picture. (btw, evidently, that pooch, uggie the jack russell terrier was the same one in "water for elephants"..quite the talent, ala asta (real name skippy) from "the thin man" series and "the awful truth" cosmo is the one in "beginners" )
    Last edited by Sweetstop; 01-24-2012 at 12:52 PM.
    teach tolerance.

It's not about best anything anymore. Sadly, it's a popularity contest. George Clooney would be nominated for opening up a can of dog food.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    It's not about best anything anymore. Sadly, it's a popularity contest. George Clooney would be nominated for opening up a can of dog food.
    I disagree. "The Descendents" is a fabulous movie and Clooney is equally excellent in it. Sure he has a big name now, but I think he deserved his nominations.

And I liked Moneyball, Bridesmaids, The Help, and Hugo. Trying to keep an open mind about The Artist when I see it.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I feel like it was a weak year for films overall. I do hope Gary Oldman finally gets his Oscar for Tinker, Tailor. He's been one of the most reliably good actors in Hollywood for a long time -- he's definitely earned his statue.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

La Dolce Vita

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I feel like it was a weak year for films overall.
    couldn't agree more.
    teach tolerance.

Eh, I don't necessarily think this year's crop was any weaker than last year's. I think the major difference is that the "Academy Award movies" that get released right at the end of December in 2011 were a lot weaker than the likes of True Grit, The Fighter, 127 Hours, The King's Speech, Black Swan, etc. It was just a ridiculous December 2010.

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I really did love Drive and 50/50. I'll take Drive over anything I saw in 2010, and 50/50 is my favorite comedy since Knocked Up. While not quite as funny as Bridesmades, I don't understand how its added dramatic element didn't get it over the hump (especially JGL's performance). The Warrior and Tinker Tailor were also excellent.

RE: Moneyball

I didn't get the critical acclaim either. I enjoyed it, but it was a baseball movie that was "sleek" and "cool" but failed to build any real drama...

The nominations always prompt me to try to remember how many movies I saw last year. The Planet of the Apes one and....ah.... I think that's it.

Movie theaters need liquor licenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Movie theaters need liquor licenses.
    They've been experimenting with that in Toledo. A few months ago I went to one where they put a 21+ age limit on one screen and sold beer and mixed drinks. I was laughing a little at my friend, she bought a $5 pop from the main concession area, and when we got in the theater a beer was only $4. Don't know if it ever caught on full time.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post

Bridesmaids is one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. Not quite there with Dumb and Dumber, but it is in my top 10 comedies without a doubt.

I echo everything said about Drive and 50/50 in this thread. Drive was the best movie I saw this year and I don't think it was close. With that said, I have yet to see The Descendents or Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, though I plan on doing so soon.

Turn Off Ads?