Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2012 Oscar nominations are out

La Dolce Vita

Re: 2012 Oscar nominations are out

best comedy tangent belongs elsewhere, boys...

teach tolerance.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    La Dolce Vita

sag awards stirred up the pot a bit as far as oscar winner possibilities..viola davis instead of meryl streep at golden globes.."the artist" french actor instead of ky's own mr. clooney...christopher plummer keeps on truckin' though.
    teach tolerance.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetstop View Post
    sag awards stirred up the pot a bit as far as oscar winner possibilities..viola davis instead of meryl streep at golden globes.."the artist" french actor instead of ky's own mr. clooney...christopher plummer keeps on truckin' though.
    Dujardin has always been the favorite.

I think it's more or less a sure thing The Artist brings home Best Picture, too. Hollywood is very much enamored of itself, and that film is quite the love letter.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

In much more interesting news... HAPPY DRIVE RELEASE DAY!!!

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Dumb and Dumber wasn't even the funniest Farrelly Brothers movie.

Airplane, Top Secret, This is Spinal Tap -- those are funny movies.
    Spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetstop View Post
    Don't get the love for "The Help". It was a typical Lifetime Network movie, imo. It seems Hollywood still has a lot of white guilt.

I can live with Dujardin beating Clooney, although I personally thought Clooney was more impressive. It's much harder to play a normal guy in an exceptional way than to play a "gimmick" role. But Hollywood loves to reward "gimmick" roles.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769023

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Spot on.
    Different generations I guess. Movies my dad loves and says are hilarious, I rarely find humorous at all. Movies I think are hilarious, he rarely finds humorous.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Different generations I guess. Movies my dad loves and says are hilarious, I rarely find humorous at all. Movies I think are hilarious, he rarely finds humorous.
    Somewhat agreed. I think it ends up being more hit-or-miss with comedies from another generation. Like Airplane is great. This Is Spinal Tap has its moments but I didn't live through all that crap. Never heard of Top Secret.

I will say though... Animal House and Blazing Saddles are still hilarious...
    Last edited by *BaseClogger*; 02-13-2012 at 12:09 AM.

Top Secret was a staple (along w/ PCU) of the early comedy central days. Well actually I think Boys in the Hall were their original staple, then they started mixing in Top Secret & PCU on a regular basis along with a few others. It started an early Val Kilmer, who was kind of at the peak of his fame when this was in rotation, which probably helped garner viewership.

I predict stuff.

Best Picture: The Artist
    Best Director: Michel Hazanavicius, The Artist
    Best Actor: Jean Dujardin, The Artist
    Best Actress: Viola Davis, The Help
    Best Supporting Actor: Christopher Plummer, Beginners
    Best Supporting Actress: Octavia Spencer, The Help
    Best Original Screenplay: The Artist
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Descendants
    Best Animated Feature: Rango
    Best Foreign Film: A Separation
    Best Cinematography: The Tree of Life
    Best Editing: Hugo
    Best Art Direction: Hugo
    Best Costume Design: Anonymous
    Best Makeup: Albert Nobbs
    Best Original Score: Hugo
    Best Original Song: Man or Muppet (The Muppets)
    Best Sound Mixing: War Horse
    Best Sound Editing: War Horse
    Best Visual Effects: Rise of the Planet of the Apes
    Best Documentary: Hell and Back Again
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Man I was hoping Gary Oldman would win Best Actor tonight.

Haven't watched The Artist though, so I dunno how good that guy was.

Dujardin was superb. He is definitely one of the most charismatic fellows I've seen on screen in a while.

IMO there is a huge disconnect between the Academy and movie goers. The Artist may have been a great film and great acting, but it was black and white and silent. Not saying that it was good or bad, just that it played to the elite of the elite movie fans, and hardly to the audience that watches the Oscars. Its almost the reason why if I see an Oscar nominated film I head in the other direction.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    IMO there is a huge disconnect between the Academy and movie goers. The Artist may have been a great film and great acting, but it was black and white and silent. Not saying that it was good or bad, just that it played to the elite of the elite movie fans, and hardly to the audience that watches the Oscars. Its almost the reason why if I see an Oscar nominated film I head in the other direction.
    I've heard this argument before and I couldn't disagree more. The Oscars are there to reward the elite movies. Those type of movies typically don't have a broad appeal except in a minority of cases. People want to complain that big box office movies aren't rewarded, but in most cases that isn't what the academy is looking for. If you see a film is nominated for an Oscar and use that as the basis for not watching a movie, then why are you watching the Oscars?

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    Dujardin was superb. He is definitely one of the most charismatic fellows I've seen on screen in a while.
    Yeah he was great, much better than Clooney, unsure about Oldham

All and all the year was pretty weak IMO

Turn Off Ads?