Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Anyone Own Or Have Owned A Pinball Machine?

Anyone Own Or Have Owned A Pinball Machine?

I am thinking about buying a pinball machine for the house.

Does anyone own or have owned one? (or know someone that owns one)

I have seen a single player machine at an indoor flea market in town but that would defeat the purpose if I have company and 2 to 4 players want to play. I would probably opt for a multi-player model. Although with the single player machine, I guess you could play one person at time, write down the score and have the other person play.

The two older models I have seen, the price is reasonable ($350-$400). They both work. I saw online where those machines sell for around $2000 so they seem like a good investment and would not decline in value.

The other thing would be to find someone who could fix these if broken down.

Here is a picture of the single player machine I saw at the indoor flea market yesterday. (not the actual one)

* Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Re: Anyone Own Or Have Owned A Pinball Machine?

"Look kids, Big Ben, Parliament."
    2013 Record at games attended: 0-1

Edward Stratton III had one and other arcade games in his home.

Never owned one but if I had saved all the quarters I put in them in my misbegotten bar years, I'd own several.

Here is your machine. http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?gid=232

My favorite was Bally's "Fireball".

She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

We had one as a kid growing up. I think it was single player, but I don't think it made much of a difference. Its not like any parties were planned around the pin ball machine, we'd just take turns and try to outdo someone else's score.

My father had someone that fixed it from time to time, but for the most part it was pretty reliable. I'd imagine the mechanics of the typical pinball machine (especially an older one) is fairly simple. however, obtaining replacement parts could be hard.

My favorite was Fun House:

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?gid=966

If I was going to do this I'd be sure to get a highly rated one and do a lot of research on which pinball games were the most fun. Lots were duds.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

I had one growing up and it was a blast. That and a pool table made my house "the hangout" in high school. If it has problems there are places that'll fix 'em but the older ones are really pretty durable.

Treat yourself and go for it!

I own three pinball machines. They are great for both adults and kids.

As a new owner, before you buy any machine, I would go to mr. pinball clasifieds and see how much the machine is selling for to get the right price.

As far as repairs, the older machines, known as electro-mechanical machines, as the easiest and cheapest to repair. Basically any machine 1978 and older is electro mechanical.

The 80's machines are not bad to repair, but finding parts can sometimes be a problem. The 90s and newer machines involves computer circuit boards and such... they are amazing to play, but I dont think I would ever want to fix one myself.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

You used to have pinball machines everywhere -- movie theaters, arcades, pizza joints, etc. -- when I was growing up.

Now, I wonder if anyone under the age of 20 even knows what one is.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Tangent: does anyone remember those golf tee games they used to have on the table of diners? I figured it out once and was pretty dang proud of myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Tangent: does anyone remember those golf tee games they used to have on the table of diners? I figured it out once and was pretty dang proud of myself.
    I saw one at a Cracker Barrel in Detroit a few years ago. Strangely addictive (the game, not the food).

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    My wife's uncle actually made these as Christmas gifts one year, so I have one sitting on my desk.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

My inlaws used to have 3 pinball machines. they sold them when they moved into a smaller house.

1) they bought them at an arcade show. i suspect they would have much more selection than a local flea market. you might try an online search.

2) the old 1970s machines are cheaper than the fancy 1980s machines

3) fixing them when they break is a real problem. i think that the older the machine is the harder it is to fix. the parts are hard to find. i'd make reaaaaally sure the machine works well before plunking down your cash

Turn Off Ads?