Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Koji Uehara anyone?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Koji Uehara anyone?

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/ is reporting alot of interest in him. Rangers bullpen is full. Dude posted an 11.9 K/IP but also gave up 11 HR's in 68 IP. Hopefully I got those stats correct. He is 37 years old and set to make $4M this upcoming season. Is he better than Masset? Would he strengthen or weaken the Reds bullpen? What do you think?
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Koji Uehara anyone?

He's got one of the most unique fangraphs pages I've seen. An absolutely ridiculous K/BB rate, but a huge flyball rate, and a large amount of those leave the yard. He's not a great fit for GABP obviously, but he's an outstanding pitcher.

That being said, I don't think he fits a need or the budget. Uehara, Masset, Marshall, Madson would be absolute fire though.

And a side note, MLBTR does not "report" anything. They merely share other reports. May sound petty, but there is a big difference. The source of the information is very important.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    He's got one of the most unique fangraphs pages I've seen. An absolutely ridiculous K/BB rate, but a huge flyball rate, and a large amount of those leave the yard. He's not a great fit for GABP obviously, but he's an outstanding pitcher.

That being said, I don't think he fits a need or the budget. Uehara, Masset, Marshall, Madson would be absolute fire though.

And a side note, MLBTR does not "report" anything. They merely share other reports. May sound petty, but there is a big difference. The source of the information is very important.
    Although mlbtr is not the source for this story they do "report" a decent number of stories, heres some recent news they broke
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/0...originals.html

Quote Originally Posted by dunner13 View Post
    Although mlbtr is not the source for this story they do "report" a decent number of stories, heres some recent news they broke
    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/0...originals.html
    This is true. Most of their traffic is generated by reporting what others are reporting. Rumors usually fit this category. They do break their share of news, but rumors are usually spread by actual reporters. At least that's the way I understand it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Rangers bullpen is full.
    So is the Reds' in my opinion.

If there is another move to be made, it is to bring in a backup middle infielder. Unless of course, they can somehow fit Oswalt in.
    Go BLUE!!!

The Ballpark at Arlington is pretty hitter friendly. His HR rate is the same though, on the road vs. home. He's never had a WHIP above one as a reliever. He has ridiculous K rates.

If he's available, he's certainly an upgrade over Ondrusek.
    Suck it up cupcake.

The K and BB rates are obviously outstanding, but what about his no-trade clause? He already rejected a trade to Toronto, and can reject trades to 5 other teams. I can't imagine that he would have any particular reason to include the Reds on his list of possible vetoes, but then, I would haven't expected him to have anything against Toronto either.

I'd love to see the Reds get Koji. He's a bit of favorite of mine.

As we were leaving the O's-Reds game last season, he motioned for my 5yo son (wearing his Reds' hat and jersey) to come to the railing next to the bullpen. He then gave him a ball from the bullpen. It made my son's night.

Turn Off Ads?