Turn Off Ads?
Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617

Thread: Reds trade LHP Jeremy Horst to Phillies for infielder Wilson Valdez

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Re: Reds trade LHP Jeremy Horst to Phillies for infielder Wilson Valdez

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    No, Zavada and Mahay cannot be added easily enough. the 40 man is full, so someone would have to be dropped. ...

I'm not saying Horst was great. I'm saying there are NO LH RELIEVERS on the 40 man roster past Marshall and Bray.
    Horst wasn't on the 40 either at the time of the trade, so what was the difference between him and the other guys in that regard?
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

2. Turn Off Ads?

Frankly I think they just did Horst a favor. On our chart, he's behind at least Marshall and Bray as well as Chapman. They gave him a chance to make a 25 man roster instead of sitting the year in AAA. As to wiggle room, Chris Valaika and Kris Negron look pretty much like guys who could be removed at any time for an appropriate addition.

Whether or not you liked or disliked the trade, do you guys really think this was a significant transaction?

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Horst wasn't on the 40 either at the time of the trade, so what was the difference between him and the other guys in that regard?
    I thought he finished the year on the 40 man. But hell, last week I thought he was Ondrusek, so...
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Frankly I think they just did Horst a favor. On our chart, he's behind at least Marshall and Bray as well as Chapman. They gave him a chance to make a 25 man roster instead of sitting the year in AAA. As to wiggle room, Chris Valaika and Kris Negron look pretty much like guys who could be removed at any time for an appropriate addition.
    Jordan Smith also comes to mind.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

No, Zavada and Mahay cannot be added easily enough. the 40 man is full, so someone would have to be dropped. Now if it were a catastrophic injury, sure. But Ludwick hasn't even been added to the 40 man. There isn't any wiggle room.

I'm not saying Horst was great. I'm saying there are NO LH RELIEVERS on the 40 man roster past Marshall and Bray. And Bray seems to be hurt every other year. I'm saying Jocketty dealt from an area of weakness for an area with depth, especially when you consider he has no open spots on the 40 man roster. He's only got 4 OF's on the 40 man, I doubt he drops any of them.
    Not getting the logic here. Horst was dropped from the 40 man long before he was traded. Wouldn't he have the same problem being added back that Mahay or Zavada would? Even with Horst, the 40 man is full and Marshall and Bray are the only lefty relievers. The rest of the depth is not on the 40 man and Horst was well down the list.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I thought he finished the year on the 40 man. But hell, last week I thought he was Ondrusek, so...
    He did, but he was DFA'd before the winter meetings and no one wanted him. Not only that, he was DFA'd instead of totally flushable guys like Negron, Valaika, Smith and Fisher. The Reds must have really thought very little of Horst if they kept those guys ahead of him.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?