Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wilson Valdez to CIN

Re: Wilson Valdez to CIN

I'm pretty sure the bench will be Ludwick (assuming Heisey starts), Francisco, Hanigan, Valdez, and Cairo. Francisco kind of has to be in there due to the fact that he's out of options. Ludwick, Cairo, and Francisco all have decent power, so I don't think that the bench is all that weak. I would have liked to have just gone with Frazier instead of Valdez, but I'm okay with the move. Horst wasn't anything special, and Valdez is at least a very versatile guy who is comfortable in the backup role.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Alpha Zero View Post
    I would have liked to have just gone with Frazier instead of Valdez, but I'm okay with the move. Horst wasn't anything special, and Valdez is at least a very versatile guy who is comfortable in the backup role.
    I agree. I prefer Frazier as well but its understandable why they want a guy with more experience at shortstop as the backup.

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    A guys with six career homeruns and 43 career doubles isn't normally described as having a little pop.

Unless his dad is 5'4", in which case I retract my statement.
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

This does'nt amount to a lot.

The Reds' 40-man roster is crazy. Two catchers, five outfielders, fifteen infielders. Seems a little lopsided to me.

Oh, and yes, this was another crappy acquisition. Are we trying to corner the market on replacement level utility men? What does Valdez bring to this club that you don't already get with Cairo, Harris, Janish, Frazier, Valaika, etc? Unless Walt and Dusty foresee a lot of 19-inning games this season, I just don't get it.

Valdez' career stat line: .290/.330/.620. OPS+ of 67. So it looks like he can't get on base, he has no power at all. What is the point again?

Todd Frazier is a much better bench option. Of course Valdez is 33 so there always the Veteran Creaminess factor.

I would have kept Horst.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    Oh, and yes, this was another crappy acquisition. Are we trying to corner the market on replacement level utility men? What does Valdez bring to this club that you don't already get with Cairo, Harris, Janish, Frazier, Valaika, etc? Unless Walt and Dusty foresee a lot of 19-inning games this season, I just don't get it.

Valdez' career stat line: .290/.330/.620. OPS+ of 67. So it looks like he can't get on base, he has no power at all. What is the point again?

Todd Frazier is a much better bench option. Of course Valdez is 33 so there always the Veteran Creaminess factor.

I would have kept Horst.
    Id rather have Heisey start over Ludwick and Frasier on the 25 man, but in general, acquiring guys like Francis, Harris, and Navarro is a big win IMO if it means they have some decent depth at the minor league level with big league experience.
    I think everyone is losing sight of how many players get called up to any big league team during the course of a season. Remember how many players the Reds were forced to use last year?
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    A guys with six career homeruns and 43 career doubles isn't normally described as having a little pop.

Unless his dad is 5'4", in which case I retract my statement.
    I think what he was alluding too is this comparison or Valdez's "pop" versus Janish's:

In the last two seasons Valdez has 663 PA, with 42 XBH's.
    In that same span Janish has 594 PA, with only 30 XBH's.

to dig a little deeper...
    Janish's oRAR and oWAR are solidly below replacement level(a combined -4 and -.05 respectively according to BaseballReference), while Valdez's show him to be just slightly north of replacement level (with a combined oRAR of 6 and oWAR of .06).

Also they share an identical .09 dWAR during that stretch, but Valdez hasn't spent as much time at short. That obviously has nothing to do with their "pop", but it puts their overall value into perspective and hopefully illustrates to everyone that Valdez is likely, at the least, a better option than Janish for the 25-man roster.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    Horst will be a beast, it seems Walt is trading our entire farm system.
    Hahaha horst is a scrub I like Valdez as a back up who is basicaly the same type of guy they just signed in Harris but younger and I really would prefer to see Frazier as the #1 back up at SS

Me also with Frazier as backup shortstop.

Quote Originally Posted by BEETTLEBUG View Post
    Me also with Frazier as backup shortstop.
    And at 1B, 2B, 3B, as well as the 3rd guy in LF and 4th guy in RF

Turn Off Ads?