Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wilson Valdez to CIN

Wilson Valdez to CIN

Jeremy Horst for Wilson Valdez. Thoughts?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Wilson Valdez to CIN

Who cares.

Looks like a no-go for Tarry-Oh!

we found our 19th inning pitcher
    There are 3 guarantees in life; death, taxes, and the leadoff walk coming around to score.

I just asked in another thread: Is he anything different than Janish?

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

He's a slightly better hitter, slightly worse defender. I'm a little surprised, in that I thought Horst was a future ML middle reliever, but who knows? Apparently Valdez can also serve as an emergency fifth outfielder (and reliever, obviously), so that makes a little more sense. He has a non-roster invite to Spring Training, and I don't think Horst was on the 40-man, so they'd have to move somebody if he were to make the team.

Jim Bowden just tweeted out that Cincinnati has some concerns about Cozart coming back from Tommy John. If that's true, it would probably be more plate concerns than fielding. That might be the biggest story to watch in Spring Training.

I like this trade. When Horst was on waivers, he was passed up by all 29 teams, and Valdez has a little pop and can play some average defense at short and can fill in at 3rd and 2nd if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFan_26 View Post
    Valdez has a little pop
    A guys with six career homeruns and 43 career doubles isn't normally described as having a little pop.

Unless his dad is 5'4", in which case I retract my statement.

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    A guys with six career homeruns and 43 career doubles isn't normally described as having a little pop.

Unless his dad is 5'4", in which case I retract my statement.
    He is a backup guy and i said "little" pop, comparing him to our now backup Janish. And i dont know what your second comment has anything to do with anything

^lol
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsFan_26 View Post
    He is a backup guy and i said "little" pop, comparing him to our now backup Janish. And i dont know what your second comment has anything to do with anything
    whooooosh

I kinda hate this trade. Horst wasn't anything incredibly special but he put up some quality stats in his limited time at AAA, and pitching depth is desperately needed right now.

I don't see how Valdez is really that much of an improvement over Janish or even Valaika. None can hit, but give you a decent glove. Why give up pitching for what we already have? Unless they really have doubts about Cozart being able to fully come back from TJ and want the stability of having a veteran SS... But in that case why not just sign Theriot for cheap? He can't be commanding that much and his bat will at least give you a .315+ OBP.

The worst part is probably that this spells doom for Frazier's shot at making the Opening Day roster. I wish they'd give him more of a chance.

I'm guessing the bench will be Hanigan, Ludwick, Cairo, Valdez, and Francisco.

Quote Originally Posted by [deleted] View Post
    whooooosh

I kinda hate this trade. Horst wasn't anything incredibly special but he put up some quality stats in his limited time at AAA, and pitching depth is desperately needed right now.

I don't see how Valdez is really that much of an improvement over Janish or even Valaika. None can hit, but give you a decent glove. Why give up pitching for what we already have? Unless they really have doubts about Cozart being able to fully come back from TJ and want the stability of having a veteran SS... But in that case why not just sign Theriot for cheap? He can't be commanding that much and his bat will at least give you a .315+ OBP.

The worst part is probably that this spells doom for Frazier's shot at making the Opening Day roster. I wish they'd give him more of a chance.

I'm guessing the bench will be Hanigan, Ludwick, Cairo, Valdez, and Francisco.

Agree - this is a stupid trade IMO - that is, of course, if Cozart will be healthy. If he's not healthy then I could see making the trade.

I now fear the backups will be catcher, Heiswick, Cairo, Valdez and Harris. No pop at all but very versatile.
    Last edited by IamRV; 01-25-2012 at 08:12 PM.

Horst will be a beast, it seems Walt is trading our entire farm system.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Nice little move by Walt. Pick up the best available relief pitcher (Judy) and a reclamation project (Brackman) on waivers as the backups, trade the one who formerly filled that role for an experienced backup. Thus, Cozart gets to start, SS depth doesn't look so bad, and we don't need to waste money on Theriot.

On the other hand, competition for the bench is gonna be quite crowded. Let's be generous and assume a team carries 13 hitters, with at least five outfielders (Bruce, Stubbs, Heisey, Ludwick are locks), two catchers (Mesoraco and Hanigan are locks). The starting infielders are Rolen, Cozart, Phillips, and Votto, all locks. That leaves three spots open, which will be contested for by Cairo, Valdez, Francisco, Frazier, Phipps, Janish, Valaika, and Harris. And in the end, it may come down to Francisco or Frazier... and that leads me to believe that maybe there's one last trade coming up.

Turn Off Ads?