Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds close to deal with Jeff Francis (LHP)

Reds close to deal with Jeff Francis (LHP)

Will be a minor league deal. Provides more potential depth in the starting rotation.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds close to deal with Jeff Francis (LHP)

I like the move, previous 17 game winner. Low risk, high reward.
    Just a dude who loves the reds, and some new sneakers.

CBSSports.com now reporting that the Reds and Francis have agreed to a minor league deal.

With Wood/Maloney/Volquez/Horst all gone, it seems smart to add a little depth at AAA.

I love it. Former minor league player of the year, great depth, and has the talent to run off a very strong year or two. I wonder if this is a prelude to a starter being moved, thus bumping Chapman to the rotation and Francis as the first starter out of Louisville. Doubtful, but possible. Good insurance either way.

[redacted]

No complaints here. We really, really needed SP depth.

Quote Originally Posted by americanoutlaw1 View Post
    I love it. Former minor league player of the year, great depth, and has the talent to run off a very strong year or two. I wonder if this is a prelude to a starter being moved, thus bumping Chapman to the rotation and Francis as the first starter out of Louisville. Doubtful, but possible. Good insurance either way.
    Arm is washed up from as a strong rotation starter. The talent is gone. He is nothing more than fluff lefty in case of a emergency. Chapman isn't starting in Cincy no matter.

He's better than most teams' option for a 7th starter. Managed to pitch a full season of baseball in Kansas City last year and gave up a 4.80 ERA... not great, but were we expecting much more out of Wood? I expect he'll be a quality starter in Louisville and a quality backup if and when somebody goes down. Chapman/Francis/Lecure/Brackman as the backup starters makes me feel much more confident about pitching depth going into this season.

I'm actually surprised he was only able to get a minor league deal. He's not a savory option, but you'd think somebody would at least have room for him at the back of the rotation or in the bullpen.

Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Nice move. I thought he was going to earn a major league contract with someone. With some of the injury/inneffectiveness/inexperience that COULD (note: optimistic it won't) rear its head, Walt needed a solid body in Louisville. I could see Francis really helping this team in a pinch.

Nice signing by Walt.
    A summer watching a bad Reds' team, is still a pretty good summer.

Quote Originally Posted by WildcatFan View Post
    Nice move. I thought he was going to earn a major league contract with someone. With some of the injury/inneffectiveness/inexperience that COULD (note: optimistic it won't) rear its head, Walt needed a solid body in Louisville. I could see Francis really helping this team in a pinch.
    He still might if he doesn't make the Reds' roster out of spring training.

I like the sign though I still would like to see them sign Scott Kazmir due to the fact he is even less of a risk with even more upside due to his age

Quote Originally Posted by The Rage View Post
    Arm is washed up from as a strong rotation starter. The talent is gone. He is nothing more than fluff lefty in case of a emergency. Chapman isn't starting in Cincy no matter.
    Kinda similar to Arroyo and Willis last year....fastball sitting around mid-80s, with occasional decent breaking ball.

I'm still hoping for Scott Kazmir

Jeff Francis, who agreed to terms with the Reds on a minor league deal, can earn a base salary of $1.5MM if he makes the big league club, according to Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com. The deal could be worth as much as $3.25MM with incentives and includes a March 28 opt-out clause, reports Crasnick (Twitter links).
    Found on MLBTR.

A depth signing that, potentially, provides no depth. If he pitches poorly in spring training I would imagine he is headed to Louisville. If he pitches well in spring training and isn't headed north, I could easily see him opting out.
    A summer watching a bad Reds' team, is still a pretty good summer.

Turn Off Ads?