Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extension Candidate: Joey Votto

Extension Candidate: Joey Votto

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/0...oey-votto.html
    Nice writeup on extension possibilities for Votto. I have been planning to do a look at which teams may be looking for a 1b in 2013 but have been too busy of late. This will have to do for now.

Securing free agent years from the first basemen above cost a minimum average annual value of $21MM. Cabrera and Howard were two years away from free agency when they signed their contracts and Gonzalez was one year away when he signed his, but they didn’t have to sign at a discount. Neither will Votto.

If the Reds wanted to lock the 2010 NL MVP up now, I expect it would cost at least seven additional years for $23MM or so per season. Adding a $161MM commitment to the $26.5MM on Votto’s current contract would keep Votto in Cincinnati through his age 36 season -- the same age through which Gonzalez, Fielder, Howard and Teixeira are under contract.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Extension Candidate: Joey Votto

From Fay, quoting Jocketty:

On signing Votto: “I think Joey would like to stay. We haven’t opened up dialogue yet. But, hopefully, we’ll be able to sign and keep him here a while.”
    This shocked me. I don't think Jocketty says he thinks Votto would like to stay without having some reason to believe it. I have been convinced Votto will leave. This is the first intimation that maybe he won't. Could just be a throwaway line from WJ that carries no real weight vis-a-vis Votto's priorities, or it could be an indicator that the team has a real shot at keeping him around. Which would be a game changer for the franchise, big time.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Could just be a throwaway line from WJ that carries no real weight vis-a-vis Votto's priorities
    \

This. Gm's talk to the press all the time. That doesn't mean you believe what they say.

Weren't you a fan during the Bowden years?
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

I'm not saying that it's impossible the Reds extend Joey, but I will say that it will be impossible to extend him without hamstringing the club (and its salary structure) unless they can find a way to take the payroll to $100M (or North) by 2014.

I'm not saying that it's impossible the Reds extend Joey, but I will say that it will be impossible to extend him without hamstringing the club (and its salary structure) unless they can find a way to take the payroll to $100M (or North) by 2014. Even then, it is probably gonna take some good-faith concessions on JV's part and creativity on the part of the Reds. If he insists on full-market, I don't see how it can happen.

I think the offseason moves done this year were a result of a understanding between Walt and Joey. Bring winning baseball to Cincinnati, and Joey will consider a extension here. I don't know that the Reds will be able to re-sign Votto, but I think the chances are a lot better than when the offseason started.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I think the offseason moves done this year were a result of a understanding between Walt and Joey. Bring winning baseball to Cincinnati, and Joey will consider a extension here. I don't know that the Reds will be able to re-sign Votto, but I think the chances are a lot better than when the offseason started.
    The Cardinals and Brewers built winners around Pujols and Fielder also...and they left for the big contracts.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

I think we have our baseline for Votto, as this offer was put forth by one of what is likely to be Votto's top suitors:

www.mlbtraderumors.com

The Dodgers pushed hard for Prince Fielder for weeks and thought they had a legitimate chance of signing him, Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports. They offered a seven-year deal worth a little more than $160MM that would have provided the first baseman with the chance to opt out after four seasons. Fielder would have earned $26MM or so for the first four years of the deal and $20MM-plus for its final three years.

The Dodgers met Fielder at an undisclosed location a few weeks ago and outgoing owner Frank McCourt approved the team's proposal. Though the Dodgers aren’t unhappy with James Loney, they wanted to add an elite bat to their lineup. The Nationals and Tigers were also finalists for Fielder, whose nine-year, $214MM deal becomes official at a press conference in Detroit this afternoon.

The meeting between Boras and the Dodgers took place in Dallas, tweets Yahoo's Tim Brown. Dodgers execs visited Boras at his Newport Beach offices about a week ago, Dylan Hernandez of the LA Times tweets.
    Also of note, from Sheldon:

Reds CEO Bob Castellini believes the team could initiate extension talks with Votto this year, MLB.com’s Mark Sheldon reports. "I think Walt has been in pursuit of that for a while," Castellini said. "It's something we know is a big challenge for us. It's certainly is desirable."
    Go BLUE!!!

I think you take most of the 2012 season to see what it takes and to keep a close eye on one Neftali Soto. If he repeats what he did at AA, or improves, The Votto leaving might be a bit easier to swallow.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

I would love to see him leave so he can stop terrorizing Cardinals pitching. All kidding aside, this is another Pujols situation where Votto should always remain a Red. It will be a shame if he goes somewhere else. Some guys just fit the uniform they where and I have a hard time imagining Votto in another uniform somewhere. Pujols does not look right in an Angels uniform. Votto would not look right in a Blue Jays uni.
    Last edited by MikeThierry; 01-26-2012 at 05:07 PM.

Man I really hope the reds try their hardest to keep him in a reds uniform.My worst fear is we lose both Votto and Phillips and that would really hurt this team if we lose them by free agency.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Quote Originally Posted by WVPacman View Post
    Man I really hope the reds try their hardest to keep him in a reds uniform.My worst fear is we lose both Votto and Phillips and that would really hurt this team if we lose them by free agency.
    Yes, I can see that fear but lets face it - other teams have lost superstars and survived and the Reds will likely have to. I think its pretty likely the Reds can replace Phillips. Rodriguez , if he can improve his attitude looks to have a serious bat. Hamilton could be the guy. Maybe Gregorious.

Votto, I'm not sure any team loses a Votto or Pujols or player like that and replaces him with a single player. More an upgrading over all by spreading money across the payroll. If we lose both by free agency don't we still get compensatory picks?

Lets face the facts. For a small market team those picks and their regular draft picks are vital - they simply cannot blow many picks- their is no breathing room - maybe not get a star player every pick or every year, but they must get 3 or 4 everyday players out of every draft and extra picks improve their odds.

Look at the recent flood of players that are either playing or used as trade pieces - that has to continue year in and year out for the Reds and Royals and Brewers of the baseball world to compete.

I know everyone gets sick of hearing about the farm and drafts and prospects and wants to concentrate thinking on Votto and stars and the big team but its the farm that gets us to the main picture. It is always going to be the main thing that gets emphasized in Cincinnati.

If the Reds lose Joey I don't think it will be because they didn't make the best offer they possibly could and still feel they could remain in a position to field a team around him.

What Walt has shown me is that he can adapt to small market conditions and restrictions laid on him and work pretty creatively. Hopefully he can do the same with Votto - whether that ends up with Reds keeping him or in re-tooling the club if they lose him to minimize the damage to the offense.

Lets just extend him along with BP now and make this the single greatest Reds offseason all time!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    As I have said in numerous threads, Votto has not gone about this extension deal like "normal" players. Look at Brandon Phillips. He has talked about wanting to stay. He has made positive overtones that he wants to stay. He is out mingling with the fans. He "tweets" that he wants to stay. You get the feeling he really wants to be here.

I don't see any of that with Votto. It's like he avoids situations because he knows the subject of extension will come up. All he would need to say in order to diffuse some of the talk is something like: "The Reds want me here long-term. I want to be here long-term. I'm sure something will get done." (And say it with some sort of conviction). It makes no difference then if negotiations fall apart down the road. At least Votto "acts" like he wants to be here. To me, it seems as if Votto is intentionally trying NOT to give any false hopes about his staying.

It looks as if Votto has already made up his mind to leave. He just doesn't want to say anything.
    Last edited by MikeS21; 01-27-2012 at 08:27 AM.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

It won't be the end of the world if Votto leaves as a free agent. Pete Rose left as a free agent and the Reds won the division the next season.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Turn Off Ads?