Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Extension Candidate: Joey Votto

Re: Extension Candidate: Joey Votto

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    As I have said in numerous threads, Votto has not gone about this extension deal like "normal" players. Look at Brandon Phillips. He has talked about wanting to stay. He has made positive overtones that he wants to stay. He is out mingling with the fans. He "tweets" that he wants to stay. You get the feeling he really wants to be here.

I don't see any of that with Votto. It's like he avoids situations because he knows the subject of extension will come up. All he would need to say in order to diffuse some of the talk is something like: "The Reds want me here long-term. I want to be here long-term. I'm sure something will get done." (And say it with some sort of conviction). It makes no difference then if negotiations fall apart down the road. At least Votto "acts" like he wants to be here. To me, it seems as if Votto is intentionally trying NOT to give any false hopes about his staying.

It looks as if Votto has already made up his mind to leave. He just doesn't want to say anything.
    Apples to oranges here. I don't know either player personally, but do you really expect Joey Votto, as private as we know him to be, to be tweeting and mingling and going on caravans every year? That's just not his personality and I wouldn't draw any conclusions about his desire to stay in Cincinnati because he's not doing those things...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

2. Turn Off Ads?

As I have said in numerous threads, Votto has not gone about this extension deal like "normal" players. Look at Brandon Phillips. He has talked about wanting to stay. He has made positive overtones that he wants to stay. He is out mingling with the fans. He "tweets" that he wants to stay. You get the feeling he really wants to be here.

I don't see any of that with Votto. It's like he avoids situations because he knows the subject of extension will come up. All he would need to say in order to diffuse some of the talk is something like: "The Reds want me here long-term. I want to be here long-term. I'm sure something will get done." (And say it with some sort of conviction). It makes no difference then if negotiations fall apart down the road. At least Votto "acts" like he wants to be here. To me, it seems as if Votto is intentionally trying NOT to give any false hopes about his staying.

It looks as if Votto has already made up his mind to leave. He just doesn't want to say anything.
    Brandon was out tweeting w/ fans 2 seasons ago, involved in the community, makes the Reds Caravan every season (how many all star level vets across the league would do that every season?) At the end of the day, I think that's just who Brandon is, he enjoys the interaction and attention he gets thru these type of things.

On the other hand, Joey's always been more private. He strikes as a very "no-nonsense" type of guy. Get the job done, and just leave me alone. I wouldn't gauge Joey's lack of "mingling" with the fans as an indication one way or another that he wants to be here. In some regards, I'd look at it as a good thing for the Reds, does Joey want to be a big money guy in a big market where he'll be harassed far more than he would here?

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    It won't be the end of the world if Votto leaves as a free agent. Pete Rose left as a free agent and the Reds won the division the next season.
    I know this wasn't really the point of your statement, but 2013 Joey Votto > 1978 Pete Rose. Losing Votto will hurt this team a lot more than losing Rose did.

And I completely expect to lose Votto.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I know this wasn't really the point of your statement, but 2013 Joey Votto > 1978 Pete Rose. Losing Votto will hurt this team a lot more than losing Rose did.

And I completely expect to lose Votto.
    I thought that was an odd comparision as well. The 79 Reds still had multiple hall of famers and boarderline hall of famers on that team. As much upside as this year's Reds team has, it has no where near the caliber of proven talent as the 79 Reds. Heck, they still had Morgan and Bench for god sakes. Does the current Reds have that level of talent?

I caught just a bit of Lance McAlister talking to Jocketty last night on Sports Talk. They discussed Votto.

Jocketty sounds GM-ishly optimistic about long term signing him, but admitted that Fielder's 9 yr. contract with the Tigers hurt their chances. Before then he said he was feeling pretty good, but now he wasn't as positive. He said they would make a strong effort though.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

On the surface, the Fielder deal hurts Votto, because the Tigers overpaid to get a "legacy" player in the fold. Fielder is a monster talent, but being the son of another iconic Tiger's player will put butts in the seats. And the Tigers are coming off a successful season, this only helps their ticket sales making the contract, at least in the short term more palatable.

Votto will have many suitors, but it sounds like he's not interested in anywhere but Toronto or Cincinnati. Also, I don't see a major market with a 1B need. Maybe Miami. Possibly LA Dodgers. That's about it.

And if Soto puts up a monster year at AAA, I'll survive if Votto is gone.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I caught just a bit of Lance McAlister talking to Jocketty last night on Sports Talk. They discussed Votto.

Jocketty sounds GM-ishly optimistic about long term signing him, but admitted that Fielder's 9 yr. contract with the Tigers hurt their chances. Before then he said he was feeling pretty good, but now he wasn't as positive. He said they would make a strong effort though.
    I heard the same interview and the one Walt gave Mo Egger about 15 minutes prior, and came away with the complete opposite reaction. To me Walt sounded like someone saying he was going to try to learn how to fly by jumping off a building- he'd give it a shot but seemed to know how it would turn out.
    2013 Record at games attended: 0-1

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    Apples to oranges here. I don't know either player personally, but do you really expect Joey Votto, as private as we know him to be, to be tweeting and mingling and going on caravans every year? That's just not his personality and I wouldn't draw any conclusions about his desire to stay in Cincinnati because he's not doing those things...
    I really don't think it's wise for a player to say stuff like Phillips has been doing. If Phillips does leave as a FA, there's going to be bad feelings from some fans.
    I remember one of Mercker's season's here. He kept saying he wanted to come back, and would take a discount. The deal couldn't get done. He signed with the Cards, then told the press there that he liked the Cards because they had a good chance of contending.. That caused a lot of bad feelings on the board..

Honestly, if I was a player, I wouldn't say too much either.
    Also, I don't rule out Votto staying. There's really no urgency for him to talk extension.. He's got a ton of money on his current deal. Why not just live in the moment and worry about an extension/FA later..
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Without question, personality or not, Joey Votto is the main cog on this team. I would like to see him retire here in about nine or ten years. I think they could build a dynasty around him.

I guess all I'm saying is that Votto doesn't strike me as wanting to be here NOW. That's the main reason why I don't think he will stay any longer than he has to.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

I guess all I'm saying is that Votto doesn't strike me as wanting to be here NOW.
    oh please

I've always said I think Votto will be gone but not because he doesn't want to be in Cincy - Cincy won't be able to compete with the money. If Joey has a 2012 and 2013 in line with his past 2 seasons he will get a Fielder type contract. His numbers are monstrous and he is a special hitter.

30 years ago he would have been a lifetime Red - the legacy slugger of a generation - but this is now. Hopefully Soto is for real, Bruce improves his power numbers a bit, either Francisco or Frazier puts solid numbers up and claims third as his own and Cozart is the real deal at shortstop. If Henry Rodriguez and/or Billy Hamilton emerges as a quality major leaguer (I give Rodriguez a better chance at a stellar career) the Reds won't be too damaged.

As it always does in baseball I think the Reds A.J. (after Joey) will depend entirely on how they use the money saved from Arroyo/BP/Rolen/Votto contracts to keep the rest of their team and better their pitching staff.

Pitching is and will be the name of the game. Put the bulk of that money in maintaining a quality starting rotation the Reds will be good. Go back to the staffs of the past decade and it doesn't matter how good the lineup is does it? Trade for pitching, Draft pitching, Sign FA pitching, have a spot for the mid to late January pitching bargain that pops up each year (Madson, Oswalt). Pitching, pitching, pitching. That's how the Reds survive A.J.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Joey has never said he wants to leave Cincinnati when he becomes a free agent. He's only said he wants to test the free agent market. Everyone just jumps to the conclusion that this means he'll leave. Joey strikes me as the kind of guy who will come up with a monetary value for staying where he is, with the players that he's come up with, and the management team and environment of the Cincinnati Reds and make his decision based on that. He'll field offers from all teams and he's savvy enough to know that sticking around here has true value...what does going strictly for the money say about him? I feel certain he'll take that into account and hopefully the Reds will be able to give him an offer that is competitive enough to keep him here. They won't have to beat the other offers, just stay in the same solar system with them and treat him with the same respect they've always had. If they give him their best offer, I think he'll stick around, but that's just me...

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

I think I'll probably still root for the Reds when Soto is the 1B. Or Duran. Or whoever replaces Joey Votto.

I think we all will.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?