Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ESPN "Game Changers" - Proposals on baseball

ESPN "Game Changers" - Proposals on baseball

I've been following an article on ESPN the last few days, featuring sportswriters suggesting "fixes" for the game of baseball. Most of what they come up with is ridiculous (save the roster one), and today they were told precisely that by some baseball insiders. What's MUCH more interesting, however are some of the fan suggestions. What do you guys think?

P.S. - The reader submissions are near the bottom.

P.P.S. - I've wanted managers out of uniform for YEARS. In my travels abroad, it's BY FAR the most ridiculed thing about American sports.
    2014 Reds record: 1-2

I look like a banker in this...

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: ESPN "Game Changers" - Proposals on baseball

Quote Originally Posted by elfmanvt07 View Post
    I've been following an article on ESPN the last few days, featuring sportswriters suggesting "fixes" for the game of baseball. Most of what they come up with is ridiculous (save the roster one), and today they were told precisely that by some baseball insiders. What's MUCH more interesting, however are some of the fan suggestions. What do you guys think?

P.S. - The reader submissions are near the bottom.

P.P.S. - I've wanted managers out of uniform for YEARS. In my travels abroad, it's BY FAR the most ridiculed thing about American sports.
    I can't think of anything more ridiculous than a manager NOT in uniform. Should they wear suits, like basketball coaches? Michael Young is right: Do we really want to see Lou Piniella running out to second base to argue a call wearing a suit? And who wants to sit in the dugout in a suit on a 120-degree afternoon in Arlington, Texas? And if they're going to wear team gear like NFL coaches, they might as well just stay in uniform. Otherwise the dugout will turn into one big MLB apparel fashion show.

That suggestion does absolutely zero to improve the game of baseball. It's just not a problem.

I love using the visiting team's rules in interleague games, however. That would spice it up a little bit.
    Last edited by Reds/Flyers Fan; 01-26-2012 at 05:40 PM.

Am I the only one that not only thinks people make too much of a deal out of the speed of the game but actually likes that baseball is a time free sport? It's one of the things that makes baseball unique in world sport. Just as there are lazy, timeless afternoons that seem to go on forever during the summer, the summer sport should mirror those days. Now, I'm not saying that some of the issues brought up aren't legit. However, the main focus should be improving the level of officiating and making the game "pure", from a PED standpoint. I say save your dang ideas that will save five minutes in a four hour long game. Give me replay and I'll be fine!

The last thing I want is for the game to become more appealing to Americans with undiagnosed cases of ADD. I also want the owners to earn less money, less revenue in advertising, less exposure, cheaper tickets, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds/Flyers Fan View Post
    I can't think of anything more ridiculous than a manager NOT in uniform. Should they wear suits, like basketball coaches? Michael Young is right: Do we really want to see Lou Piniella running out to second base to argue a call wearing a suit? And who wants to sit in the dugout in a suit on a 120-degree afternoon in Arlington, Texas?
    Yes they should. They're professionals, not athletes. Dress like it. I've NEVER understood why managers wear a uniform. No other sport does it. I'm sure someone's going to say that it's something that makes baseball unique. If I started working for a consulting firm where everyone smeared ketchup on their faces before a meeting, we would certainly be viewed as unique, but it somewhat betrays my intent and my pay grade.
    Last edited by elfmanvt07; 01-26-2012 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Bolded the quote to clarify my first statement.

I can think of nothing more trivial than what the Manager wears and I hate the idea of dropping lower performing teams to a lower divison. As a matter of fact, if the Europeans think its a good idea, that's a good reason to s-can the idea from the get-go. If I had to take a stand one way or the other I'd stick with the unis since it is traditional and sets the sport apart.

I really don't like the idea to shorten the games to eight innings idea or mess with the way relievers are used. I'm lukewarm on the week-long extravaganza. I'm OK withe the umpire in the booth, the September 25-man roste and the no-pitch iBB. I also believe the DH rule should be standardized period.

Of the 10, my favorite would be bringing back Doubleheaders. Make it a tradition that the last date vefore the All-Star-break is a double dip. 15 teams host one year and the other 15 the next. Maybe even make a roster exception where the teams could bring up a starter from the minors on that day to start one of the games.

If I were to name five "Game Changers" of my own they would be:

5. A 26-man roster. Benches/Pens are too short.

4. More Doubleheaders

3. Standardize the DH rule. Keep it ior get rid of it. No midle ground.

2. Add international players to the June Draft or hold an International Draft.

1. The Ultimate Real "Game Changer": A salary cap or anything to close the gap between haves and have-nots.

Bonus: And one more (just for controversy). Form a pool that gives each team $20M that it must use toward one star player (kind of a riff on the "Franchise Player" in theNJL. It is specifically to allow each team to hang onto one star or add one. The teams can add to it and use it over a period of time for an LTC, but it must be used on one player and in addition to the regular payroll. The teams don't have to use it all, but any unused portion goes back in the kitty or is rolled forward to for the next year..
    Last edited by corkedbat; 01-26-2012 at 07:48 PM.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post

4. More Doubleheaders

1. The Ultimate Real "Game Changer": A salary cap or anything to close the gap between haves and have-nots.
    Co-sign. All would be good for the long term health of the sport.
    2013 Record at games attended: 0-1

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    I can think of nothing more trivial than what the Manager wears and I hate the idea of dropping lower performing teams to a lower divison. As a matter of fact, if the Europeans think its a good I dea that a good reason to s-can the idea from the get-go. If I had to take a stand one way or the other I'd stick with the unis since it is traditional and sets the sport apart.

I really don't like the idea to shorten the games to eight innings idea or mess with the way relievers are used. I'm lukewarm on the week-long extravaganza. I'm OK withe the umpire in the booth, the September 25-man roste and the no-pitch iBB. I also believe the DH rule should be standardized period.

Of the 10, my favorite would be bringing back Doubleheaders. Hake it a tradition that the last date vefore the All-Star-break is a double dip. 15 teams host one year and the other 15 the next. Maybe even make a roster exception where the teams could bring up a starter from the minors on that day to start one of the games.

4. More Doubleheaders

I don't think baseball should institute promotion/relegation after the fact. The entire modern baseball system is built completely against that notion. That being said, it makes everyone's season interesting in the most popular sport on Earth.

I like most of your ideas, and agree with most of your assessments for the supplied ones. I just don't know how you can look at these pictures and not see "class" and "removed from Chucky Cheese for drunkenness", respectively.

Keep the DH as it is - I'm in the minority I guess but I'd rather have it stay as is than have it in both leagues. Fine with eliminating it but can't stand it so I'd rather have it split like this than suffer it in the NL. They are different leagues, who cares if they have different rules?

Don't add players to the International June draft - but do have a separate International draft to make some sense of the mess that is international signings season

Replay is okay for certain plays but please not balls and strikes. Umps and their zones are part of the game. Always have been always should be. The game is human. I don't want a home run on the wrong side of the pole counted or a trapped flyball called out but individual balls and strikes is getting too obsessive with the camera for my taste.

I don't care that much about time saving. I enjoy the game as a long release from the cares of time - its part of what I love about baseball - I don't watch the clock when I watch a game. There is no clock. It's about the last refuge from the time driven insanity of daily life. SO when someone says I know how we can shorten the games, I usually say "yawwwnn."

Uniforms for managers - I don't care- I wish they'd allow managers to make their own decision. A suit would look no sillier and much more refined on Tommy Lasorda than a uniform for crying out loud. A roly poly gray haired 70 something shuffling out to the mound in a uniform looks silly. Period. A suit would look sensible. Or slacks and a shirt and tie. Younger managers - hey - wear the uni! Knock yourself out! Feel like one of the boys!
    Last edited by RedlegJake; 01-26-2012 at 07:47 PM.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

5. A 27-man roster. Add 1 player to the bench and one to the bullpen. Would help eliminate transactions with the farm sysstem when a major league player has a 2 to 4 day injury. A team wouldn't have to go shorthanded or waste a transaction.

4. More Doubleheaders - doesn't do much for me.

3. Standardize the DH rule. Keep it ior get rid of it. No middle ground. Agree with this one.

2. Add international players to the June Draft or hold an International Draft. Absolutely needed to give the have nots a chance too.

1b. No guaranteed contracts. They kill a team when a player gets hurt and isn't the same player anymore. Or when a player just starts to suck.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Keep the DH as it is - I'm in the minority I guess but I'd rather have it stay as is than have it in both leagues. Fine with eliminating it but can't stand it so I'd rather have it split like this than suffer it in the NL. They are different leagues, who cares if they have different rules?
    By having the DH in the AL only, you give those clubs an advantage when signing free agents. Take the Fielder to Detroit deal or Pujols to Anaheim. Without the DH, there is no way they get signed to such long term deals. That is why I want it the same in both leagues.
    2013 Record at games attended: 0-1

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    5. A 27-man roster. Add 1 player to the bench and one to the bullpen. Would help eliminate transactions with the farm sysstem when a major league player has a 2 to 4 day injury. A team wouldn't have to go shorthanded or waste a transaction.

4. More Doubleheaders - doesn't do much for me.

3. Standardize the DH rule. Keep it ior get rid of it. No middle ground. Agree with this one.

2. Add international players to the June Draft or hold an International Draft. Absolutely needed to give the have nots a chance too.

1b. No guaranteed contracts. They kill a team when a player gets hurt and isn't the same player anymore. Or when a player just starts to suck.
    While I agree guaranteed contracts stink you'd never get this one past the union unless the sport fell apart 1st like Hockey sort of did.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Most basketball managers are sstill jocks. They are not gonna want to be in suits 162 games a year (I sure wouldn't). If they have to wear suits every game, then they will have to schlep around a ton of wardrobe around - especially on long taod trips, not to mention having to get the suits dry cleaned in different cities. If they and the staff are wearing unis, they just give it tot the equipment managers with the rest of the team. Lostically alone, suits on managers are a bad idea and, most importantly, who wants to be wearing a suit outside every day when it's 80-90m degrees with 90-100% humidity? You'd scuff a lot of nice dress shows too kicking dirt on home plate.

As for the doubleheaders? i always just liked doubleheaders and would go every year if the Reds would schedule one a year. It would be an event to look forward to for me.
    Last edited by corkedbat; 01-26-2012 at 08:35 PM.

Yes they should. They're professionals, not athletes. Dress like it. I've NEVER understood why managers wear a uniform. No other sport does it.
    Have you seen what Bill Belichick wears on game day? He makes any MLB manager look like they are dressing high class.

My 1 suggestion, and one Ive actually sent to the Reds' FO:

I would LOVE to see a "throwback" day at the ballpark. I want to experience what going to a baseball game in the 20's and 30's was like. This is something I, and 99% of baseball fans, will never have the pleasure of saying we were able to experience. Just imagine, fans being recommended to dress in their Sunday's best, no music over the PA, no digital-3D-in-your-face videos, advertisements, or banner around the stadium. Have an organist (live or recorded) play between innings and during pitcher warm-ups, shut off the scoreboard except for the box score, and have the vendors dress up as well (similar to how the mobile-hot-dog-guy at GABP already does).

I want to experience baseball. Nothing else.

Make it a night game, under the humming lights, where all you can hear is the roar of the crowd, the whiz of a 95MPH fastball,the crack of the bat, and the deafening silence right before the crowd erupts after a game-winning home run.

I present to you, Cincinnati, "Crosley Field Night".

-Matt

Turn Off Ads?