Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Met Phillips tonight at the Caravan

Met Phillips tonight at the Caravan

2 words can describe him tonight.

Moody and arrogant.

The caravan was wrapping up and I give him credit for getting out of his seat and signing autographs for everyone waiting in line that didn't make it up the stage.

However, when he came to me I thought I would give him some fan appreciation and said "Hey BP we need you in Cincy for the next 4 years!" In a hateful/short/arrogant tone he responded with "you're talkin to the wrong person."

Then my sister asked him for a picture, he said yes, I told her to leave him alone. Then 2 others asked for a photo and he said "thats it I'm done" and bolted for the door.

I hope he was just in a bad mood cause I really like Brandon, but if the way he acted tonight was part of his personality then I may not be so sad to see him go if he doesn't resign after 2012, JMO.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Met Phillips tonight at the Caravan

im guessing even he has a bad day

he is gone, just too expensive. No way we pay the going rate for him. Sounds like the hometown discounts are not an option.

Might be just as well, he is getting a little older.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

he's not that old

Quote Originally Posted by R_Webb18 View Post
    he's not that old
    He's old.

I'd be pretty moody when 1/3 of the people i see during the day make a comment about a contract, or hope you stay or hope to keep you in Cincy for the next 4 years and so on. Im just saying. Every time I have been around him or talked to him he has always been classy, upbeat, positive and high on life basically.

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    He's old.
    Joey Votto will turn 30 during the 2014 season so should we only offer 4-5 years because he'll be "old." Phillips plays 2B its not that demanding of a position. He's not having drastic drops in steals, average, homers and so forth. As long as he produces between .285+ with 18-22 HR (which isn't hard to have hope in). He deserves being paid for everything he has done for Cincinnati from performance on the field to his performance in the community.

Dan Uggla will be making $13M from 2012-2015

Robinson Cano has a $15M option for 2012

Rickie Weeks will be paid $11M from 2012-2014

Chase Utley will be paid $15M from 2012-2013

Brian Roberts will be paid $10M from 2012-2013

Personally, I think he deserves a 4 year $50M contract. If you dont resign him and then after 2013, Votto still leaves you saved money for no reason.

They call me "chef"

Tone is subjective. One man's boring/casual straight forward tone is another man' rude/nasty/evil tone. Read any Yelp review where the reviewer analyzes and infers their cashier or waiter's snobby/rude/elitist/judging etc tone. Don't let it bug you.

Quote Originally Posted by NorrisHopper30 View Post
    He's old.
    no he's not

[QUOTE=dMaus14;2530069]I'd be pretty moody when 1/3 of the people i see during the day make a comment about a contract, or hope you stay or hope to keep you in Cincy for the next 4 years and so on. QUOTE]

Yeah Heaven forbid I try to tell a player that I appreciate him so much that I wish for him to remain with my favorite team.

I should have responded with "well how much freakin money do you need?" Does he really NEED 15 mil per year? I'm sure that the Reds FO would pay him at least 10 mil per year.

Again, how much freakin' money do you need?

It's not a question of how much does he need, it's a question of how much can he get.

I don't hold the money thing against these guys at all, we all do the same thing they do just on a much smaller scale. Would you take less salary than your peers to keep the company you work for competitive or would you take the offer from another company guaranteeing you a lot more money over a longer term?

Brandon may have got upset with all of the reports on trying to sign Joey long term and not him. I don't blame him, I would be too. He's done a lot for this franchise and the community.

Every time I've been around Brandon he's been very upbeat and nice but everyone has a bad day.

Quote Originally Posted by dMaus14 View Post
    Joey Votto will turn 30 during the 2014 season so should we only offer 4-5 years because he'll be "old." Phillips plays 2B its not that demanding of a position. He's not having drastic drops in steals, average, homers and so forth. As long as he produces between .285+ with 18-22 HR (which isn't hard to have hope in). He deserves being paid for everything he has done for Cincinnati from performance on the field to his performance in the community.

Dan Uggla will be making $13M from 2012-2015

Robinson Cano has a $15M option for 2012

Rickie Weeks will be paid $11M from 2012-2014

Chase Utley will be paid $15M from 2012-2013

Brian Roberts will be paid $10M from 2012-2013

Personally, I think he deserves a 4 year $50M contract. If you dont resign him and then after 2013, Votto still leaves you saved money for no reason.

I agree. is no way the Reds can outbid the Yankees for Votto. Brandon is still extremely valuable. Might as well sign him.

He was the same way last year

Quote Originally Posted by brad1176 View Post
    It's not a question of how much does he need, it's a question of how much can he get.

I don't hold the money thing against these guys at all, we all do the same thing they do just on a much smaller scale. Would you take less salary than your peers to keep the company you work for competitive or would you take the offer from another company guaranteeing you a lot more money over a longer term?

Brandon may have got upset with all of the reports on trying to sign Joey long term and not him. I don't blame him, I would be too. He's done a lot for this franchise and the community.

Every time I've been around Brandon he's been very upbeat and nice but everyone has a bad day.
    This does not excuse his cold shoulder type of behavior. The reason he is famous is because of us fans.

The best professional athletes to meet and are quick to express appreciation for their fans is old has-been pro-wrestlers. Don't believe me? Attend a local indy show where someone like the Honky Tonk Man or The Rock n Roll Express is in the main event. I've never met nicer celebs that pro-wrestlers.

My point is his comment was inappropriate. You don't rudely walk past a fan when you are simply trying to encourage him to stay on a team where the fans appreciate you as an athlete and as a person and just rudely say, "you're talkin to the wrong person."

And another thing, I don't like his Chad Johnson type of swagger. He is not a rock-star, he is a damned ballplayer. His demeanor just has left a sour taste in my mouth and right now I could care less if he resigns, the money will be better spent on Votto anyways.

WHAT REALLY MADE ME THE MOST ANGRY...

The fact that the reason we went to the caravan was that BP is my daughter's favorite. When he came up to me I said "You're my little girl's favorite." He asked where she is and I said she is behind me, she looked up him and smiled and slowly lifted her sticker for him to sign, he went on without giving her a second. Eventually I had to go back through the line to get her sticker signed and thats when we made the signing comments to each other.

You are right. The guy who took local fans who follow him on twitter on road trips with him and the team last year has no appreciation for the fans. The guy who wants to sign an extension but basically hasn't been offered one is wrong for saying "you're talking to the wrong person". The guy who made you go through the line like everyone else to get an autograph.

The nerve.

Turn Off Ads?