Turn Off Ads?

Thread: R.I.P. Harry Wendelstedt

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: R.I.P. Harry Wendelstedt

A name from my childhood. RIP

May be the first UMP I ever heard about when I was a kid.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Awww. How sad. RIP Harry.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Getting older it's always sad to hear about names from our past passing away.

As a little kid I remember hearing Marty and Joe telling us who the umpires were for the day. Wendelstedt is one that always stood out.

Rest in peace.

Stat geek...and proud

Reading the article, it talked about how he Drysdale hit a batter with a pitch and Wendelstedt ruled that the batter didn't attempt to avoid the pitch.

That's a rule that I wish was called on a regular basis.

I know he was a crew chief, because Marty commented on it many times. I can see his face from some black and white stills in Reds publications sold at Riverfront. No doubt, he po'd me off more than once with a call that went against the Reds, but nothing less than a signifigant name from my youth associated with the game I love. Hearing that he died today reminded me of how young he must have been when those passing memories of him were created, and how short life is. Seventy three is an interruption in this day and age.

For a Level Playing Field

I always remembered his name by seeing ads for the Harry Wendelstedt Umpiring School. This would have been during my youth/teen years when reading my grandfather's monthly issue of Baseball Digest. During those youthful years I thought, "Who in the world would want to go to school to be a stnking umpire?" lol

RIP Harry.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    I always remembered his name by seeing ads for the Harry Wendelstedt Umpiring School.
    Me too. I actually took Umpiring for college gym credit around the time I was seeing those ads.
    /r/reds

I'm sorry to hear this. He was an excellent umpire who served his position well for many years. Umpires today could use a lesson on his skills and professionalism.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    Reading the article, it talked about how he Drysdale hit a batter with a pitch and Wendelstedt ruled that the batter didn't attempt to avoid the pitch.

That's a rule that I wish was called on a regular basis.
    Me too. Craig Biggio will likely be voted into the Hall someday and he regularly stuck his heavily armored elbow out in order to get a free pass to 1st base. That used to drive me nuts

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Me too. Craig Biggio will likely be voted into the Hall someday and he regularly stuck his heavily armored elbow out in order to get a free pass to 1st base. That used to drive me nuts
    True, but I'm pretty sure Biggio would get in regardless of that. HBP's aside, he was still on heck of a player.

Turn Off Ads?