Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds get 3 first round draft picks this year?

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Re: Reds get 3 first round draft picks this year?

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    I'd like to see them draft pitchers with all the first round picks high school or college
    I was going to post this almost verbatim a couple days ago wrapped in quotes for you. LOL My scouting eye has you marked with having plus plus consistency

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    The last time we had this many picks this early, we ended up with Devin Mesoraco, Todd Frazier, Kyle Lotzkar, Zack Cozart, and Neftali Soto all in the same draft. Let's hope for that kind of success again.
    Wow! Lets all hope for similar success.

I am 100% behind the best player available for every pick through out the draft. Get as many legitimate prospects in the system and you can always fill out the rosters with minor league FAs. The draft spending cap will make drafting the BPA a little more difficult than in years past though.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I like the strategy employed with Alonso. Draft the most MLB ready hitter available regardless of position. It would be nice to restock with the upper levels with a great middle of the order bat.

Quote Originally Posted by Pony Boy View Post
    I like the strategy employed with Alonso. Draft the most MLB ready hitter available regardless of position. It would be nice to restock with the upper levels with a great middle of the order bat.
    I don't know if he is major league ready yet but Victor Roache projects as a middle of the order type bat. He is a 1b/of for Georgia Southern. I hope to God that this guy falls in our lap. I would suggest checking him out if you haven't already.
    Let's get weird!

Quote Originally Posted by izzy's dad View Post
    I don't know if he is major league ready yet but Victor Roache projects as a middle of the order type bat. He is a 1b/of for Georgia Southern. I hope to God that this guy falls in our lap. I would suggest checking him out if you haven't already.
    Agreed that he is by far my favorite college bat in this draft at this early time.
    Go BLUE!!!

BPA.

If all else is equal, grab the one with the most positional scarcity.

I'd argue positional scarcity as:
    1. Ace
    2. SS w/ plus bat
    3. TOR starter
    4. Catcher w/ plus bat
    5. MOR starter
    6. 2B w/ plus bat
    7. CF that can hit and field well
    7. 3B that can play the position and hit
    8. Big bopper premium bat in OF
    9. Big bopper premium bat at 1B
    10. RF that can hit and field well
    11. BOR starter
    12. Premium relief arm
    13. Solid LF bat
    14. Solid 1B bat
    15. Defense first catcher
    16. Defense first SS (premium glove)
    17. Defense first CF (premium glove)
    18. Backup middle infielder (good glove OR good hit)
    19. Backup OF (good hit, no defense)
    20. Middle relief

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    I'd like to see them draft pitchers with all the first round picks high school or college
    Agree 100% sign stud outfielders through the Latin system..

Quote Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
    Agree 100% sign stud outfielders through the Latin system..
    Interestingly, out of all the players the Reds developed, the best pitcher on the major league roster and the two best pitchers currently in the minor leagues are were all signed out of Latin America (Johnny Cueto, Aroldis Chapman and Daniel Corcino).

Meanwhile, the three [starting] OF on the major league roster that came through the Reds' minor league system (Bruce, Stubbs, and Heisey) were all drafted from the US.

I am curious as to why "pitchers should be drafted" and "stud OF should be signed from Latin America."
    Go BLUE!!!

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Interestingly, out of all the players the Reds developed, the best pitcher on the major league roster and the two best pitchers currently in the minor leagues are were all signed out of Latin America (Johnny Cueto, Aroldis Chapman and Daniel Corcino).

Meanwhile, the three [starting] OF on the major league roster that came through the Reds' minor league system (Bruce, Stubbs, and Heisey) were all drafted from the US.

I am curious as to why "pitchers should be drafted" and "stud OF should be signed from Latin America."
    Variety?

Should be higher on the scarcity list. These guys are quite rare.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    BPA.

If all else is equal, grab the one with the most positional scarcity.

I'd argue positional scarcity as:
    1. Ace
    2. SS w/ plus bat
    3. TOR starter
    4. Catcher w/ plus bat
    5. MOR starter
    6. 2B w/ plus bat
    7. CF that can hit and field well
    8. Big bopper premium bat in OF
    9. Big bopper premium bat at 1B
    10. RF that can hit and field well
    11. BOR starter
    12. Premium relief arm
    13. Solid LF bat
    14. Solid 1B bat
    15. Defense first catcher
    16. Defense first SS (premium glove)
    17. Defense first CF (premium glove)
    18. Backup middle infielder (good glove OR good hit)
    19. Backup OF (good hit, no defense)
    20. Middle relief
    I get the concept of position scarcity but I think you're drastically undervaluing premium bats from non-premium defensive positions, particularly for a small market club like the Reds. Elite bats are the most expensive commodities in baseball, both in terms of annual salary and the length of the contract commitment. Clubs like the Reds simply do not have the means to buy an elite (or even near elite) hitter on the open market, which means that they need to be developed from within.

While I can understand the argument for placing a TOR arm above a premium bat, there is no way I'd be taking a MOR starter or slight above average SS, 2B or CF over a guy that can mash.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Should be higher on the scarcity list. These guys are quite rare.

Do a fantasy draft this year... They don't really exist. (unless they're a 1b/dh type like Cabrera being moved over)
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

One mock draft that i've found has the reds taking Jake Barret a RHP out of Arizona State here is his player page
    http://www.thesundevils.com/sports/m...tt_jake00.html

Quote Originally Posted by alett12 View Post
    One mock draft that i've found has the reds taking Jake Barret a RHP out of Arizona State here is his player page
    http://www.thesundevils.com/sports/m...tt_jake00.html
    Sounds a lot like Mike Leake.

Personally, I'd prefer they go for the upside- Gioloto, Buxton, Roache, guys of that nature. They don't need a low ceiling arm that could be major league ready by next year, they need super talented players (at any position) that could replenish the talent pipeline after 2013.

Of course that said, they could certainly do worse than a guy who comps to Mike Leake.
    Go BLUE!!!

Personally, I'd prefer they go for the upside- Gioloto, Buxton, Roache, guys of that nature.
    You're talking about guys projected to go at the very top of the draft. That's not where the Reds are picking.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    You're talking about guys projected to go at the very top of the draft. That's not where the Reds are picking.
    Guys who are projected to go at the very top of the draft frequently can fall to #14 (and even much further than that), especially when it is only Groundhog Day.

By way of example:
    In 2011 it was Josh Bell, Jed Bradley and Matt Purke
    In 2010 it was Chris Sale, Josh Sale and Anthony Ranaudo
    In 2009 it was Aaron Crow and Grant Green.

You get the idea. All of those guys were projected to go at the very top of the draft, especially months before the draft, and they all fell out of the top 10 by the time the actual draft rolled around. Some were due to bonus demands, some to injuries, some to a rocky season, and some just because.

And FWIW, Roache falls to the Reds in several mock drafts that have been published.
    Last edited by Benihana; 02-02-2012 at 03:40 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Turn Off Ads?