Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reds get 3 first round draft picks this year?

Reds get 3 first round draft picks this year?

I read somewhere the Reds get two additional first draft picks for the loss of Ramon Hernandez, and Coco Cordero. Is this true? And what should the Reds in your opinion draft with those picks. High school pitchers, more catchers maybe more third baseman in the farm?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds get 3 first round draft picks this year?

Quote Originally Posted by ShaySongz View Post
    I read somewhere the Reds get two additional first draft picks for the loss of Ramon Hernandez, and Coco Cordero. Is this true? And what should the Reds in your opinion draft with those picks. High school pitchers, more catchers maybe more third baseman in the farm?
    http://www.redszone.com/forums/showt...t=93383&page=2

Reds have picks 14, 49 (for Ramon), and 56 (for Coco). The last pick could get bumped down a spot or two depending on what happens with remaining free agents.

The disclaimer is that we should always draft Best Player Available (BPA). Beyond that, I'd like to see some high upside HS arms and some big power corner bats. Names that fit that criteria to watch include Lucas Gioloto (RHP) Matt Smoral (LHP) Byron Buxton (OF) David Dahl (OF) Carlos Correa (3B) Trey Williams (3B) and Victor Roache (1B/OF). Barring major changes (which are quite possible with a full season to play before the draft), all of those guys are likely to be off the board in the first 50 picks.

Tayore Cherry is a local arm (Vandalia Butler HS) with big upside who could be available after the top 50.

The last time we had this many picks this early, we ended up with Devin Mesoraco, Todd Frazier, Kyle Lotzkar, Zack Cozart, and Neftali Soto all in the same draft. Let's hope for that kind of success again.
    Last edited by Benihana; 01-27-2012 at 03:33 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

This is an important draft for the Reds. I know they have some guys lower in the system who are projected to be good prospects, but after losing so many top tier guys, they have a great chance to rebuild the system this year if they make the right picks.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    This is an important draft for the Reds. I know they have some guys lower in the system who are projected to be good prospects, but after losing so many top tier guys, they have a great chance to rebuild the system this year if they make the right picks.
    Yep. Opportunities like this don't come around too often. 2007 was the only draft in the last 10 years where the Reds had four picks in the top 80.

That said, hopefully with potential compensation FA like Madson, Phillips, and possibly Marshall, the Reds could have a similar opportunity next year as well.
    Go BLUE!!!

With the Reds being so deep with arms in the majors/AAA with Latos, Bailey, Cueto, Leake,Arroyo, and chapman, do we take more chances on high school arms? Bring them along with next wave Concino, stephenson?

Quote Originally Posted by ShaySongz View Post
    With the Reds being so deep with arms in the majors/AAA with Latos, Bailey, Cueto, Leake,Arroyo, and chapman, do we take more chances on high school arms? Bring them along with next wave Concino, stephenson?
    I'd like to see them draft pitchers with all the first round picks high school or college

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    I'd like to see them draft pitchers with all the first round picks high school or college
    Now seriously, who here didn't see this post coming about a mile away. :O)

I'm just picking on you icehole3. It's just kinda funny that you post nearly this exact same thing verbatim every year for the past 3 or so years. *grin*

BPA. Have to get major leaguers, irrespective of position. Keep what you need, trade the others for what you need--as in this offseason.

BPA. Have to get major leaguers, irrespective of position. Keep what you need, trade the others for what you need--as in this offseason.
    True. Still, pitching is the most valuable commodity. My personal preference is that they'll go 2 pitchers and 2 position players with those 4 top 80 picks.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

If you look strictly at need in the system. LH starting pitching and solid corner outfield bats. Those seem to be the biggest holes. But since you never know how players will stick with positions and such...taking the BPA is always the best idea.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    True. Still, pitching is the most valuable commodity. My personal preference is that they'll go 2 pitchers and 2 position players with those 4 top 80 picks.
    I'd give the advantage to pitchers, and especially starters of course, when it looks like a choice involves players of nearly identical chance to be significant major leaguers. But BPA should be the presumption, IMO. What's moved the Reds forward is that, beginning with O'Brien's first draft, they have consistently gotten major league talent in the first and often second rounds.
    Last edited by HokieRed; 01-28-2012 at 11:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Now seriously, who here didn't see this post coming about a mile away. :O)

I'm just picking on you icehole3. It's just kinda funny that you post nearly this exact same thing verbatim every year for the past 3 or so years. *grin*

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    Yes. Take the best player. You can't predict exactly what positions you will need 3-6 years down the road when these guys are ready for the big leagues.

Historically, drafting high school pitchers was very risky due to injuries, but that is not as much of an issue anymore due to better surgical techniques and better player development procedures.

This year's draft is pretty weak... It figures that this would be the year that we have multiple early picks.
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Best player available. I don't care if we have twenty excellent SPs, if a SP is best, then draft him.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Turn Off Ads?