Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Reds get 3 first round draft picks this year?

Re: Reds get 3 first round draft picks this year?

Guys who are projected to go at the very top of the draft frequently can fall to #14 (and even much further than that), especially when it is only February.

And FWIW, Roache falls to the Reds in several mock drafts that have been published.
    I guess Roache doesn't come in as hot as the other two. But, what you're saying, essentially, is that the Reds should draft the guys who most people think are better than everybody else.

Guys fall for a reason. Either they performed poorly or will cost too much. I doubt you'd be agreeable with the team picking somebody just because he used to be highly ranked, regardless of his performance in 2012. Now, if it comes down to $$$, sure, we'd all like to see them spend a little more to get better players -- but with the new draft spending rules, teams are going to have to be far more strategic. It won't come down to who's more willing than the next guy to open his wallet, round after round after round.

By the way, another Mike Leake would be a great return on a mid first rounder.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I guess Roache doesn't come in as hot as the other two. But, what you're saying, essentially, is that the Reds should draft the guys who most people think are better than everybody else.

Guys fall for a reason. Either they performed poorly or will cost too much. I doubt you'd be agreeable with the team picking somebody just because he used to be highly ranked, regardless of his performance in 2012. Now, if it comes down to $$$, sure, we'd all like to see them spend a little more to get better players -- but with the new draft spending rules, teams are going to have to be far more strategic. It won't come down to who's more willing than the next guy to open his wallet, round after round after round.

By the way, another Mike Leake would be a great return on a mid first rounder.
    Yes, that's correct.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by nmculbreth View Post
    I get the concept of position scarcity but I think you're drastically undervaluing premium bats from non-premium defensive positions, particularly for a small market club like the Reds. Elite bats are the most expensive commodities in baseball, both in terms of annual salary and the length of the contract commitment. Clubs like the Reds simply do not have the means to buy an elite (or even near elite) hitter on the open market, which means that they need to be developed from within.

While I can understand the argument for placing a TOR arm above a premium bat, there is no way I'd be taking a MOR starter or slight above average SS, 2B or CF over a guy that can mash.
    Exactly. The OP might have made an accurate list for a team with really deep pockets. But the priorities are different for a team in the Reds position.
    I may not be fast, but I sure am slow.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    BPA.

If all else is equal, grab the one with the most positional scarcity.

I'd argue positional scarcity as:
    1. Ace
    2. SS w/ plus bat
    3. TOR starter
    4. Catcher w/ plus bat
    5. MOR starter
    6. 2B w/ plus bat
    7. CF that can hit and field well
    7. 3B that can play the position and hit
    8. Big bopper premium bat in OF
    9. Big bopper premium bat at 1B
    10. RF that can hit and field well
    11. BOR starter
    12. Premium relief arm
    13. Solid LF bat
    14. Solid 1B bat
    15. Defense first catcher
    16. Defense first SS (premium glove)
    17. Defense first CF (premium glove)
    18. Backup middle infielder (good glove OR good hit)
    19. Backup OF (good hit, no defense)
    20. Middle relief
    If this is 8th in order of scarcity, why are there ZERO in the Reds farm system (other than their fetish for fourth OFer's) and why weren't there several on the market this year for the Reds to deal for or sign?

I'd say they're as (or more) scarce than TOR's.

Turn Off Ads?