Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Where will Oswalt end up?

Where will Oswalt end up?

Per Rotoworld:

Jim Duquette of MLB Network Radio on Sirius XM reports that the Cardinals and Roy Oswalt are close to an agreement.
    So that's pretty much worst-case scenario.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Oswalt Close to Deal with Cards

Jeez. Every friggin year they jump on a player the Reds should have a LOT more interest in. Sickening.

A bit more detail:

The specifics of the offer aren't known, but Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported this week that the Cardinals made an offer to Oswalt earlier this winter "approaching $5 million." According to Duquette, the Red Sox, Astros and Rangers remain in the mix. The Astros would be a weird landing spot considering that the alternatives are all expected to contend, but the veteran right-hander was originally drafted by the club in 1996 and spent the first 10 years of his major-league career there. For what it's worth, Michael Silverman of the Boston Globe hears that Oswalt will not make a decision this week regarding where he'll sign. Stay tuned.
    "It's still a long way to the top if we want to rock'n'roll, but at least they dumped the tuba player."
    --M2

this is when I sigh and say /thank God Dave Duncan retired
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    this is when I sigh and say /thank God Dave Duncan retired
    I'd feel better because of this if the Cards were signing someone that once was good but has been garbage lately but Oswalt will probably be good with or without Duncan.

Carpenter
    Wainwright
    Garcia
    Lohse
    Westbrook/Oswalt?

IDK

Still lot's of questions on that rotation. Carp's older, TJ for Wain, Lohse is Lohse, I'm still thinking Garcia will wakeup and NOT be a #2, Westbrook is bad, Oswalt is hopefully not healthy...

No god please no.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Quote Originally Posted by Santo Alcala View Post
    Jeez. Every friggin year they jump on a player the Reds should have a LOT more interest in. Sickening.
    Why should the Reds have a lot of interest in Oswalt? The rotation is pretty well set IMHO.

Arroyo is the only guy I'd rather have Oswalt over going forward, and for the money they're paying Arroyo, that obviously wasn't gonna happen.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Don't say you're going "all in" and basically reject a pitcher who is something like 24-2 in his career against you. Whatever his numbers might have been in your favor, double them by what he he is likely to do to you now. They are reportedly going to get Oswalt for around $5 mil.

I love what the team is trying to do this winter. But, don't even try to say you are "all in" and stand around and watch something like this happen. I have a problem with people that keep saying that. As far as I am concerned, we are not done yet if we are truly "all in".

Don't say you're going "all in" and basically reject a pitcher who is something like 24-2 in his career against you. Whatever his numbers might have been in your favor, double them by what he he is likely to do to you now. They are reportedly going to get Oswalt for around $5 mil.

I love what the team is trying to do this winter. But, don't even try to say you are "all in" and stand around and watch something like this happen. I have a problem with people that keep saying that. As far as I am concerned, we are not done yet if we are truly "all in".
    So do you propose we simply just cut Arroyo then, because he is the only pitcher Oswalt seems to surely outpitch moving forward?

Going all in doesn't mean the Reds should break the bank for a 34-year old pitcher who only pitched 139 innings last year and saw a pretty big drop in velocity.

To be honest, I think he'll be a serviceable pitcher this year but I actually don't believe he'll be much (if any) better than what the Reds have.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Don't say you're going "all in" and basically reject a pitcher who is something like 24-2 in his career against you. Whatever his numbers might have been in your favor, double them by what he he is likely to do to you now.
    Here's his last four starts against the Reds:

7IP, 4ER
    5IP, 4ER
    7IP, 3ER
    5IP, 6ER

Those games were in 2009-10, and the Reds won all four. He may have owned the team in the mid '00s, but that isn't relevant any more.

I hope you guys are right.

Lord I thought we was rid of this guy!! You watch and see he will pitch ten times better just b/c its with the Cards.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

In 2011:

Francis 2.6 WAR
    Oswalt 2.5 WAR

Turn Off Ads?