Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #28 prospect?

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • RHP Alejandro Chacin

0 0%
  • RHP Drew Cisco

5 12.82%
  • RHP Drew Hayes

1 2.56%
  • LHP Blaine Howell

0 0%
  • RHP Josh Judy

5 12.82%
  • LHP Chris Manno

0 0%
  • RHP Jonathan Perez

0 0%
  • SS Juan Perez

0 0%
  • RHP Dan Renken

1 2.56%
  • OF/1B Bill Rhinehart

0 0%
  • RHP Josh Smith

13 33.33%
  • IF Chris Valaika

3 7.69%
  • RHP Pedro Villarreal

4 10.26%
  • OF Kyle Waldrop

2 5.13%
  • 2B Ryan Wright

5 12.82%
  • other (please list below)

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #28 prospect?

Who is Redszone's #28 prospect?

#1 C Devin Mesoraco
    #2 SS Billy Hamilton
    #3 SS Zack Cozart
    #4 RHP Dan Corcino
    #5 RHP Robert Stephenson
    #6 1B Neftali Soto
    #7 OF Yorman Rodriguez
    #8 UT Todd Frazier
    #9 SS Didi Gregorius
    #10 2B Henry Rodriguez
    #11 LHP Tony Cingrani
    #12 OF Juan Duran
    #13 RHP Kyle Lotzkar
    #14 3B Gabriel Rosa
    #15 C Tucker Barnhart
    #16 3B David Vidal
    #17 RHP J.C. Sulbaran
    #18 OF Ryan LaMarre
    #19 1B Donald Lutz
    #20 OF Denis Phipps
    #21 RHP Tim Crabbe
    #22 RHP Andrew Brackman
    #23 LHP Amir Garrett
    #24 UT Brodie Greene
    #25 LHP Donnie Joseph
    #26 1B/3B Sean Buckley
    #27 3B Junior Arias

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who is Redszone's #28 prospect?

Chris Valaika is good enough to make the top thirty. He's my choice from now on until this all stops.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Pedro Villarreal for me. Good fastball, good breaking ball, good control, solid numbers and decent success in AA.

Josh Smith. A winning curveball, acceptable fastball, and better numbers than Corcino suggest that he deserves to be considered a prospect as well.

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    Josh Smith. A winning curveball, acceptable fastball, and better numbers than Corcino suggest that he deserves to be considered a prospect as well.
    He was also three years older than Corcino too. Let's send Corcino back to Dayton in 2014 and see what kind of numbers he puts up.

Smith is in this range for me though, because of the curveball and fastball, though I like him more as a reliever than as a starter. While I think there is a chance he is a #5 type of starter in the future, his stuff plays up out of the bullpen (where we saw him at in 2010) and I figure that eventually he is going to be moved there.

Been voting Villareal for several rounds now. I also like Smith, but, on the age matter, since that's come up, it's worth nothing Villareal is actually several months younger than Smith and had success last year at two levels higher than Smith. I also like Villareal's K/W ratios and the way he finished AA last year. He had a very good August.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Chris Valaika is good enough to make the top thirty. He's my choice from now on until this all stops.
    Chris Valaika has had three years in AAA to show he can take a walk and he has yet to even flash that ability. Last year's regression to an ugly .657 OPS was certainly discouraging.

I was between Pedro Villareal and Josh Judy and chose Judy for his ability to strike guys out and his proxmity to the majors.

I would bet Josh Judy is more valuable to the Reds in 2012 & 2013 than Valaika.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Chris Valaika has 1200+ PA's in AAA with a sub .675 OPS. He is also going to be 26 next year and hasn't even had one good season in AAA. Not really a guy I see as a top 30 prospect.

Ryan Wright for like the 10th time in a row....
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Chris Valaika has 1200+ PA's in AAA with a sub .675 OPS. He is also going to be 26 next year and hasn't even had one good season in AAA. Not really a guy I see as a top 30 prospect.
    That makes perfect sense to me. I think he's better than his numbers indicate, but I basically see him as another Adam Rosales. It has value, but it's not enough for me to vote for him yet.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    That makes perfect sense to me. I think he's better than his numbers indicate, but I basically see him as another Adam Rosales. It has value, but it's not enough for me to vote for him yet.
    When I watch Valaika swing, I feel like he is a better hitter than his numbers say he is. He just has a decent looking swing, but the results simply don't match.

Josh Judy, the waiver claim, wasn't good enough to even have a spot in the Indians system, yet he's considered a top 30 prospect in ours? That doesn't smell right too me. It's like once a guy is in our system he's worth double what he truly is worth.

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    Josh Judy, the waiver claim, wasn't good enough to even have a spot in the Indians system, yet he's considered a top 30 prospect in ours? That doesn't smell right too me. It's like once a guy is in our system he's worth double what he truly is worth.
    You seem to be forgetting that all not being on their 40 man roster means is that of their minor leaguers who were Rule 5 eligible, they didn't think he was inside of that top 15.

Quote Originally Posted by powersackers View Post
    I'm with you here. As a whole, RedsZone overrates Reds prospects. Just look at Danny Dorn for example. Some of us were furious the first couple times he wasn't protected from the rule five draft.

It's common knowledge (among people who pay attention to this sort of thing) that Josh Judy's stuff won't play as well in MLB. He's not going to post anything close to his minor league K rate of 10.2/9IP. The minor leagues are full of guys like that.

But like dougdirt said, just because Judy is a castoff (for lack of a better word) from a different organization doesn't necessarily mean he isn't worthy of a top-30 spot on an organizational prospect list. The fact that he was ever put on a 40-man roster likely means he's more worthy of being on the list than a lot of the guys who have already been selected. Just a couple years ago, Sean Watson made our top-10 list. David Shafer, Calvin Medlock, Ty Pelland, Josh Ravin, Cody Strait, Wirfin Obispo, etc. were selected for the top-20 despite never sniffing the Majors. Unfortunately, until people see a major drop-off in production, they're going to latch onto the idea that Judy and others might have success similar to what they had in the minors. We just have to wait it out.

Dougdirt, can you give me a more detailed report on Villareal? I've been interested in him, but haven't found all that much information.

Cisco seems like a good choice here as well. He may have had TJ surgery, but he's a polished high school arm with great command and results. He's got plenty of time to recover and could be shooting up these prospect boards as soon as he hits the mound again. That's worthy of a selection around here, for me.

Turn Off Ads?