Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any Maine Coon Lovers Here?

Re: Any Maine Coon Lovers Here?

Had a Maine Coon and when we room mates split up and went our separate ways, he ended up with one of them. Great cat, wonderful personality...and a great leaper too.
    And a big boy.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

2. Turn Off Ads?

When I was a kid, we had a summer cottage on Long Lake in the Harrison, Maine. There was this elderly local lady who used to visit and told us that Maine coon cats were the results of wild raccoons mating with domestic cats.

I believed the story until I was in my teens and just happened to be paying attention in my tenth grade biology class.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

We brought the 6 yr old cat back to the house last night and he's none too pleased. It's like Garfield and Nermal. As of today he still wants us to take the kitten back to wherever he came from. He's sulking in the crawl space right now. I will say the kitten is not backing down. If the big cat blocks his way, he just runs around or over him and answers hiss with hiss. We'll see how long this goes on for but I think they'll eventually be friends because the original cat is used to being around other cats. He lived with our other cat up until about two weeks ago when we took him to the vet for the last time so it's not like he's used to having the house to himself.

A feral tiger cat, with some Maine Coon features has shown up at the farm. He is super wild and is only observed from about 100 ft away right now. I did see him stroll by the barn this morning while I was inside the barn. He drank from a puddle, and I could clearly identify his black ear tips and shaggy mane. The rest of his body has short hair, and a thin tail though.

Kind of like this guy with a thin tail.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

First of all, Sea Ray, sorry for your loss. We just lost our beloved golden lab, and I'm having a pretty hard time getting over it.

Never heard of this cat, but it's a gorgeous breed. We have two, a mutt and a Bengal, which looks a lot like the picture Logan posted, though with the thin tail.

We also had a Savannah, which is a mix between a Serval and Bengal, I think. Wild, feral, a hoot to own...

They have a pelt instead of the normal coat of hair- just like a rabbit. They are the smartest cat I've ever been around.

And wow, do they talk. I have to keep them in the garage at night or I get no sleep.

Our kitten is doing great except he seems to "have the runs" . He can make it to the litterbox and all but afterwords his coat back there and his feet can get smelly and we have to clean him up. We're trying to mix some yogurt into his food and we're going to give him food with a higher starch content. Any Pepto-Bismo suggestions for this trouble?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Our kitten is doing great except he seems to "have the runs" . He can make it to the litterbox and all but afterwords his coat back there and his feet can get smelly and we have to clean him up. We're trying to mix some yogurt into his food and we're going to give him food with a higher starch content. Any Pepto-Bismo suggestions for this trouble?
    Try mixing some canned pumpkin in with his food. My wife did that with our previous cat and it helped. She had read about it somewhere that pumpkin can either help the stools become firmer or make them softer. In this case it helped our cat with the firmer part of it.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    Try mixing some canned pumpkin in with his food. My wife did that with our previous cat and it helped. She had read about it somewhere that pumpkin can either help the stools become firmer or make them softer. In this case it helped our cat with the firmer part of it.
    Thanks for the tip! Never would have thought of that

We have a Maine coon and a Maine coon mutt. Great hunters. (Except for the mouse that was loose on the second floor for a month ....... I will never let them live that down.)

I can pill a cat pretty easily by myself.

Liquids are another story if you don't have anyone to help you.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCasey View Post
    We have a Maine coon and a Maine coon mutt. Great hunters. (Except for the mouse that was loose on the second floor for a month ....... I will never let them live that down.)
    The Maine Coon mutts are great too! That's all we've had up until now.

The one surprising thing about the Maine Coon purebred is, although he's young, so far he's an "in your face" kitty. He climbs up our chests and can't sleep alone. Typically Maine Coons are known as hang out cats where they tend to be with you but not on you. My daughter is loving this. She's fine with it.

This kitten also is the first cat I've had in a long time that is insistent on taking the food right off your plate. He's pushy.

Turn Off Ads?