Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Votto frontrunner for MVP in 2012?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Votto frontrunner for MVP in 2012?

The road is certainly a clearer path with Braun's troubles, and Fielder and Pujols gone.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Votto frontrunner for MVP in 2012?

Matt Kemp who should have won it this year is still hanging around.

Kemp will be there, particularly if the Dodgers have a good season. Justin Upton will be there, and if the Marlins put together a good season, maybe someone like Reyes or Stanton. But I'd certainly label Votto the favorite as of right now.

As a favorite, but not THE favorite. I stated in another thread I think he's a frontrunner. I also agree that Kemp and Upton are also right there.

Joey Votto is poised to make a lot of money. He's also poised to be considered the best player in the NL. Votto had a better year last season than Sir Albert. IMO he had a better season than Prince. I do think Braun and Kemp had better seasons than Votto, but I think it is closer than people realize.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

I'd definitely put him in the top five. I'd also add:

Kemp-- LA
    He had the best year statistically last season, but his team sucked. He's likely to have to overcome that again this year, though, in the NL West, anything could happen.

Tulowitski-- COL
    Has been, IMO, the most valuable player in baseball the past three years-- but he can't seem to stay on the field all season. If he can play 150+ games, he could very well win it, especially if Colorado finds enough to compete this season.

Utley-- PHI
    Philadelphia will contend, that much is certain. Whether Utley comes back or not may mean the difference between playoff team and World Series champ. Since Howard is gone, he'll have to carry the load. Too, with Victorino in front of him, he should have opportunities to hit.

Upton-- ARI
    Lots of talent and a team loaded with it. He's their best player and was undoubtedly the best player of the second half of 2011. The problem is that Arizona strikes me as a team that played over their heads for most of the year. They're playing a poorer player next to Upton than the guy they had last season and their pitching's questionable. If they struggle, he won't win.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Kemp will be there, particularly if the Dodgers have a good season. Justin Upton will be there, and if the Marlins put together a good season, maybe someone like Reyes or Stanton. But I'd certainly label Votto the favorite as of right now.
    Hanley Ramirez has the talent too.

Then there's the group of guys who have the potential to have a MVP season if they stay healthy: Chase Utley, Lance Berkman, Matt Holliday, Carlos Beltran, and Buster Posey.

That said, I have to agree that right now Joey Votto is your front-runner...

Willie Hernandez once won the MVP award in 1984 with Detroit. You never know...
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Bruce.

Ridiculous to speculate at this point to be honest. No one is the front runner yet. Does he have a chance? Sure. But so could any of about 30 players. Stanton and the kid in Atlanta are young and full of potential. Chipper Jones could find the fountain of youth. Beltran could thrive in St Louis. Lincecum could go nuts and win 25+ games in the Bay. Tulo is a beast. Kemp was deserving last year. Arizona has talent too.

Just pointless to discuss at this moment. Wait til we're a couple months in. At least late May.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Matt Latos, 21-6 2.56 ERA 220 IP and a 1.02 WHIP

Seriously though I agree with Joseph on this one. June 1 is too early. Feb 1 is ridiculous (im in Kuwait/the future).

Totally agree with you thatcoolguy. Heck, teams aren't even finished trading players or aquiring players in the offseason. Plus a lot of it has to do where teams are in the standings and where they finish up. Who knows how the division races will shape up. The only thing I would say Joey Votto is a front runner on would be the starting first baseman for the 2012 All Star Game.

I don't know about 2012 but here is your 2015-2020 MVP:

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Utley-- PHI
    Philadelphia will contend, that much is certain. Whether Utley comes back or not may mean the difference between playoff team and World Series champ. Since Howard is gone, he'll have to carry the load. Too, with Victorino in front of him, he should have opportunities to hit.
    I agree with your other three but Chase Utley's knee issue isn't going away. He simply doesn't have the cartilage -- it's like an NBA player who isn't "injured" per se', but loses his burst. I think he'll still be a very productive player, but his MVP days are behind him.

My big sleeper is Mike Stanton. He's scary and just 22 this year. With Reyes, Bonafacio and Hanley on base base ahead of him and Logan Morrison behind him, he could hit 40 bombs, drive in 120 and score 100. Meanwhile, he's a good defender and has a great arm, so it's not like that can be held against him.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Good call on Stanton, though I think he's going to wilt a bit in Miami. Too, the Ks will be held against him, despite his production.

I'm basing Utley on the idea that baseball writers have no clue who's more valuable and he'll hit around 300/350/500 with grit. On a possible 100-win team, he'll be the guy they pick as most valuable.

-The Insider-

Since we're on the subject of MVP and Joey Votto, I think he is definitely the frontrunner for the 2013 MVP since players usually step their game up on their walk year.

/somewhattrolllin

Turn Off Ads?