Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: MLB Network top 10 left fielders right now

  1. #1
    Member Captain Hook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    columbus,ohio
    Posts
    2,223

    MLB Network top 10 left fielders right now

    I don't think it's a stretch to say that the Reds could get top 10 production from LF this upcoming season. I'm not real impressed with this list.Not saying MLB net has done a bad job, just that there's not much out there other then the guys in the top 5.

    1. Ryan Braun
    2. Matt Holliday
    3. Josh Hamilton
    4. Carlos Gonzalez
    5. Mike Morse
    6. Alex Gordon
    7. Josh Willinghm
    8. Desmond Jennings
    9. Brett Gardner
    10. Carl Crawford

    BTW MLB net is using some kind of system they're calling "The Shredder" that they say combines analytics and scouting.They will do SS next this Sunday at 9pm.
    Last edited by Captain Hook; 01-31-2012 at 11:05 PM.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Moderator RedlegJake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    North Kansas City, Mo
    Posts
    5,764

    Re: MLB Network top 10 left fielders right now

    I agree that the Reds should do well compred with this list but they won't (probably) come close to the numbers the top three should put up - but my top three are different - I've got Braun 1, Gordon 2 and Hamilton/Holliday tied (depends on durability of either) at 3. Being in KC and seeing Gordon in person a lot, I think he'll have an even bigger 2012 - he's just going to get better. Holliday is on the slide side of his career and health may be an issue and it always is with Josh H. Either is top three if he plays most of the season. I think a Heisey/Ludwick platoon can come close to the numbers the rest of that group will put up.

  4. #3
    For a Level Playing Field RedFanAlways1966's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Oakwood, OH
    Posts
    11,728

    Re: MLB Network top 10 left fielders right now

    All lists can and will be argued. However, do Braun and Holliday have the whole-package like Hamilton does (fielding/speed)? Not putting down Braun and Holliday (I have them as top-5 players in the NL for the last two years when discussing this at work).
    Small market fan... always hoping, but never expecting.

  5. #4
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,295

    Re: MLB Network top 10 left fielders right now

    Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    All lists can and will be argued. However, do Braun and Holliday have the whole-package like Hamilton does (fielding/speed)? Not putting down Braun and Holliday (I have them as top-5 players in the NL for the last two years when discussing this at work).
    Have to wonder if Hamilton's inability to stay on the field came into play. Hamilton has averaged just 114 games per season over the last three years.

  6. #5
    Member klw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    6,308

    Re: MLB Network top 10 left fielders right now

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Hamilton has averaged just 114 games per season over the last three years.
    Topic: With a 50 game suspension, the most games Braun could play this year is 112. Will Braun or Hamilton play more games in the big leagues this year, discuss amongst yourselves.

  7. #6
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,295

    Re: MLB Network top 10 left fielders right now

    Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    Topic: With a 50 game suspension, the most games Braun could play this year is 112. Will Braun or Hamilton play more games in the big leagues this year, discuss amongst yourselves.
    Until MLB actually announces the suspension, I think we need to remember that there may not be one.

  8. #7
    Rally Onion! Chip R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    34,395

    Re: MLB Network top 10 left fielders right now

    Whither Johnny Gomes?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

  9. #8
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,423

    Re: MLB Network top 10 left fielders right now

    I'm shaking my head wondering how if recent past performance is taken into account ANYONE thinks the Reds will crack this list next year. I see a whole lot of Ludwick in the immediate future. And he does not impress me.

    I'd love to have Brett Gardner. No power, but he gets on base at a decent clip, and paired with Stubbs, he'd make opposing pitchers and catchers have fits.
    Suck it up cupcake.

  10. #9
    Member Captain Hook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    columbus,ohio
    Posts
    2,223

    Re: MLB Network top 10 left fielders right now

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I'm shaking my head wondering how if recent past performance is taken into account ANYONE thinks the Reds will crack this list next year. I see a whole lot of Ludwick in the immediate future. And he does not impress me.

    I'd love to have Brett Gardner. No power, but he gets on base at a decent clip, and paired with Stubbs, he'd make opposing pitchers and catchers have fits.
    When someone that had a .285 obp last year cracks the list anything is possible.Not to mention that there's one guy on there that doesn't even have 400 MLB ABs to his name .

  11. #10
    Member MikeThierry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, Mo
    Posts
    3,593

    Re: MLB Network top 10 left fielders right now

    All lists can and will be argued. However, do Braun and Holliday have the whole-package like Hamilton does (fielding/speed)? Not putting down Braun and Holliday (I have them as top-5 players in the NL for the last two years when discussing this at work).
    What's interesting about Holliday is that he doesn't look pretty in the field but he rates as one of the better defensive left fielders in the game. He has had a realitively high UZR the past couple of years.
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

    “I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

    Mike Shannon

  12. #11
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,423

    Re: MLB Network top 10 left fielders right now

    Braun's better than Holliday, by a country mile. And if it is proven that 2011 wasn't a PED driven season, make it two country miles. Hits for average and power, steals some bases, 20 a year.

    Holliday is great, but he didn't burst on the scene like Braun did, and he started in a hitter's park.
    Suck it up cupcake.

  13. #12
    Member MikeThierry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    St. Louis, Mo
    Posts
    3,593

    Re: MLB Network top 10 left fielders right now

    Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Braun's better than Holliday, by a country mile. And if it is proven that 2011 wasn't a PED driven season, make it two country miles. Hits for average and power, steals some bases, 20 a year.

    Holliday is great, but he didn't burst on the scene like Braun did, and he started in a hitter's park.
    I don't think anyone is saying that Holliday is a better player than Braun. To also hold the "hitters park" scenario over Holliday's head is a bit silly though. Braun plays in one of the best hitters parks in baseball and Holliday has proven he can still be an elite left fielder in a pitcher friendly park.
    “Our next home stand follows this road trip.”

    “I just want to tell everyone Happy Easter and Happy Hanukkah.” says on the day before Easter

    Mike Shannon

  14. #13
    Member klw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    6,308

    Re: MLB Network top 10 left fielders right now

    I know it isn't fair but when I think of Holliday as a fielder, I think of this:
    St. Louis "Blues" - YouTube

  15. #14
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,423

    Re: MLB Network top 10 left fielders right now

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeThierry View Post
    I don't think anyone is saying that Holliday is a better player than Braun. To also hold the "hitters park" scenario over Holliday's head is a bit silly though. Braun plays in one of the best hitters parks in baseball and Holliday has proven he can still be an elite left fielder in a pitcher friendly park.
    Miller Park may be friendly.

    Coors Field allows for intimacy. If ya know what i mean.
    Suck it up cupcake.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25