Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Reds players who are out of options...

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Reds players who are out of options...

I know this is something that ALWAYS comes up here, and since Mark Sheldon was kind enough to post the info, here's a good place to post it. :O)

*Since it will likely be asked often over the next two months, here is the list of the Reds players that are out of options:
    Jose Arredondo
    Bronson Arroyo
    Homer Bailey
    Bill Bray
    Miguel Cairo
    Carlos Fisher
    Juan Francisco
    Nick Masset
    Brandon Phillips
    Wilson Valdez
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

2. Turn Off Ads?
    All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Reds players who are out of options...

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I know this is something that ALWAYS comes up here, and since Mark Sheldon was kind enough to post the info, here's a good place to post it. :O)
    Good. Because we may need to send Votto or Bruce down to get their offense going.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Good. Because we may need to send Votto or Bruce down to get their offense going.
    Rolen also.
    This is the Cal Ripkin Jr. of typos.

If you ask me to join your fantasy baseball league and I select Legolas in the first round, don't be angry at me. It's not my fault I've read up on the players and you haven't.

Seems like a tenuous position for Carlos Fisher to be in. Especially with Ryan Ludwick needing a spot on the 40-man. (At least, it looks that way according to the roster on reds.com.)

What about Wily Mo Pena?

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    What about Wily Mo Pena?
    They reworked his contract.

I had thought that Frazier would have a decent shot because he can play both 3B and OF and even 2B and SS in an emergency, but seeing that Francisco is out of options changes that. Barring injuries or a fantastic spring, it looks as if Janish, Frazier, and Phipps will be headed to AAA. That would mean 4 OF and 7 IF. Not happy with Valdez staying on the 25 and getting some starts at SS, but it is shaping up that way.

I wonder if the Reds could have Leased Wily Mo to Japan for two seasons.

I'm only half joking. You can't send him down to affiliated minor league baseball without him clearing waivers, but you can SELL his contract. Or could have, like they did Blalentein. But what if they just leased his contract?

Unless there is a legal precedent as to why they can't, I suppose if the player agreed, it would be possible.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Paul Janish is conspicuous by his absence on this list. So Valdez makes the roster as the 25th man and Janish is optioned to AAA to play SS every day. If Cozart goes down, they'll be glad they have both to split the role while playing championship caliber defense and not just one of them to flail away each day. They both have a much better chance at productivity if they can keep the PT down to 3 days per week.

Hopefully Cozart plays 150 games and these two become an insurance policy that doesn't need to be used.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Seems like a tenuous position for Carlos Fisher to be in. Especially with Ryan Ludwick needing a spot on the 40-man. (At least, it looks that way according to the roster on reds.com.)
    Well I think Negron gets moved off the 40 for Ludwick but Fisher isn't real likely to make the team all the rest of these guys are in a good spot to make it though.

Maybe they can deal both Negron and Fisher for a better arm than Fisher with options. Then again Fisher could make the roster I suppose given an injury.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I'm confused about the rules. When must Ludwick be added? If he is on a major league contract, shouldn't he have been added when he signed?

-The Insider-

Quote Originally Posted by RED VAN HOT View Post
    I'm confused about the rules. When must Ludwick be added? If he is on a major league contract, shouldn't he have been added when he signed?
    That's usually the case, but I've noticed this off-season that teams (not just the Reds) have been extremely slow to making everything official.

Turn Off Ads?