Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays 2/2

Birthdays 2/2

A little early, but my mornings are bespoke the next few days:

Reds:

Jared Fernandez (40) -A Red in 2001-02. Was he the last Reds pitcher to rely on a knuckleball?

Manny Sarmiento (56) -I always liked Manny and thought the Reds undervalued him. He also had a very good singing voice.

Dale Murray (62) -One of the few, few Reds I ever rooted against because he was acquired at the cost of my favorite Red, Tony Perez.

Others:

Scott Erickson (44) -One of the top five pitchers of all time in ground ball/fly ball ratio. Married to TV personality Lisa Guerrero.

Pat Tabler (54) -From Cincinnati's McNicholas High. A terrific hitter with the bases loaded; career 43 for 88.

Red Schoendienst (84) -I can spell his name without looking it up, which I consider an accomplishment. Fought back from a serious eye injury and TB to have a HOF career. Still a part of the Cardinal organization.

Wes Ferrell -A great hitting pitcher, and not a bad pitching pitcher either. His brother Rick is in the HOF and Wes isn't. I would have taken Wes over Rick, but really neither one should be in.

George Halas -Had something to do with that game they play with the oblong ball, too....
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?
    6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Re: Birthdays 2/2

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    A little early, but my mornings are bespoke the next few days:

Reds:

Dale Murray (62) -One of the few, few Reds I ever rooted against because he was acquired at the cost of my favorite Red, Tony Perez.
    *BESPOKE? Oh boy, I'm off to check my online dictionary. Never heard that one before.

*I rooted FOR Dale Murray simply because he was a Red but it obviously didn't help much.

Manny Sarmiento (56) -I always liked Manny and thought the Reds undervalued him. He also had a very good singing voice.

There are so many rumors about what happened to Manny. There were several BRM reunion shows and he was the only player they couldn't find or maybe didn't wanna find.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

I got Sarmeinto's autograph once along with Ed Armbristers and George Foster's. Me and my dad arrived early for a game in 1976,next to last day of the season,IIRC. The usher gave me an autograph card and said to go to a particular section and there would be three Reds that would come to give autographs. So I went and got in line. Most people thought none of the regulars would be there. But lo and behold George Foster was one of them. I remember Foster being really nice and cordial. Sarmiento and Armbrister were low key and quite honestly and probably couldn't speak much English. Another good memory from my youth.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Red Schoendienst (84) -I can spell his name without looking it up, which I consider an accomplishment. Fought back from a serious eye injury and TB to have a HOF career. Still a part of the Cardinal organization.
    It's great still seeing him before games in his Cardinal uniform helping our infielders with fielding practice. He is almost an institution in St. Louis. Matt Holliday for a couple of games last year wore his old school pants as a good luck charm and had one of his best offensive runs last year.

I'll add John Tudor (59) to the list. John is the last major leaguer to reach double figures in shutouts; he threw 10 of them in 1985.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

I'll add John Tudor (59) to the list. John is the last major leaguer to reach double figures in shutouts; he threw 10 of them in 1985.
    That may hold up for awhile as a starting pitchers does not get 10 COMPLETE Games anymore.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Turn Off Ads?