Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: More Votto to the Jays chatter

Reds offseason moves didn't indicate a team looking to plan for the distant future...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Well, that settles it then. Phil Rogers has spoken.

LMAO

Votto might very well end up in Toronto in a couple years. But this guy doesn't know anything more than anyone on this board about Votto's situation.

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Before this off season I would have done Votto/Bailey/Cozart for Romero/Cooper/Thames/Escobar,. Now I'm happy to ride out the next two years.
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

* If the Reds make he playoffs, I can see them hanging onto Joey and trying for two in a row and letting him leave in FA if he doesn't sign an extension.

* If the Reds fall short of the playoffs though. I can see them making Joey their best LTC offer and if he refuses then considering a deal with the Jays.

* I realize that Joey has never categorically stated he will not re-up with the Reds and that Jocketty and Castellini have both said the Reds plan to resign Votto.

* I also know though, that Joey has said he will see what the market will offer and that he owes it to himself and his family to do so. A $20-25M extension for JV would severly hamstring the Reds payroll while the Jays have much deeper pockets and signing a hometown boy like Votto would give them a huge boost in the murderous AL East.

If I we were going to make a deal for Joey with the Jays, they'd need to ante up:

* Two starters from:

- Deck McGuire
    - Drew Hutchinson
    - Aaron Sanchez
    - Justin Nicolino

* An infielder from:

- Yunel Escobar
    - Brett Lawrie

* An OF from:

- Anthony Goss (if he continues to improve)
    - Brice Brentz (Jays send a catcher and Reds send another prospect to the BoSox)

* One from:

- Daniel Norris
    - Noah Syndergaard
    - Asher Wojciechowsk
    Last edited by corkedbat; 02-02-2012 at 01:02 AM.

I wonder if the Jays signed Coco in an attempt to lure Votto there

I'm content to enjoy Votto for 2 more years and let the chips fall where they may.
    In fact, I will predict the Reds do not trade Votto.
    Good organizations can absorb free agent defections.
    Bad organizations are too worried about replenishing the prospect pipeline.
    Let's keep trying to win.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    If I we were going to make a deal for Joey with the Jays, they'd need to ante up:
    But..... if Votto's desire is to play for Toronto, and the feeling is mutual, then all the BJs have to do is wait for free agency and sacrifice draft picks. I guess it would depend on how badly, as far as urgency goes, the BJs would want Votto. IMO, the Reds are not in the driver's seat in this situation. Most teams aren't. The only thing that would help the Reds is if several teams are interested, and a bidding war ensues. But again - if Joey's desire really is to play in Canada, then that may have little effect unless it could force the hand of the BJs who don't want to take the chance of him signing elsewhere.

But this is all speculation on my part.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Out of The Jays Organization I like these guys for Votto if we ever make a trade:

1)Brett Lawrie- takes over for Rolen at 3rd.
    2)Drew Hutchinson-SP in AA
    3)Deck McGuire-SP in AA
    4)Anthony Gose-OF in AA

we get some guys back into the system in positions of need and get a MLB ready 3rd baseman where we have virtually no depth. As we then move Soto to 1st base.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Jays will wait until Joey is a free agent. That way they won't have to give up anything. Count on it.

It sucks, but that's what I expect. And I fully expect Joey to bolt for his hometown Toronto.

Makes me wonder if the Reds should give Joey an ultimatum of signing an extension by a certain date, and if he doesn't accept, let the Reds fans know and get what they can for him.

I love the guy, but the thought of him leaving and the Reds getting nothing in return bothers me.

It would be smart for the Reds to take the best run they can at Votto before next offseason gets going. If it fails, see what the trade market is. Toronto would be a real good trade partner, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by REDREAD View Post
    I wonder if the Jays signed Coco in an attempt to lure Votto there

I'm content to enjoy Votto for 2 more years and let the chips fall where they may.
    In fact, I will predict the Reds do not trade Votto.
    Good organizations can absorb free agent defections.
    Bad organizations are too worried about replenishing the prospect pipeline.
    Let's keep trying to win.
    Actually, the reason good organizations can absorb free agent defections is because they already have a well stocked prospect pipeline. If they lose a guy to free agency, they better have youngsters ready to step in or they won't be a good organization very long.
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Jays will wait until Joey is a free agent. That way they won't have to give up anything. Count on it.

It sucks, but that's what I expect. And I fully expect Joey to bolt for his hometown Toronto.

Makes me wonder if the Reds should give Joey an ultimatum of signing an extension by a certain date, and if he doesn't accept, let the Reds fans know and get what they can for him.

I love the guy, but the thought of him leaving and the Reds getting nothing in return bothers me.
    No ultimatiums needed, just a solid conversation between 2 grown ups.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post

Agreed on the first part. If Toronto can wait until 2014, it'll save them a lot of talent.

Mostly agreed on the second part, but it would be difficult-nigh-impossible for a trade to make the Reds better during the next two years. Getting just draft picks for him wouldn't bother me as much as trading him before 2013 and then finishing one game out of the playoffs. The Reds have been a long time getting into position to grab at the ring, it's time to grab. Later can take care of itself.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Let's just enjoy this two year ride. When the time comes and if Votto leaves the Reds should have an idea who will replace Votto.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Turn Off Ads?