Thread: Votto to Jays inevitable?

Votto to Jays inevitable?

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...e-acquisition/

not sure if anyone has seen this yet?
    Bowled 12, 300 games, I'm BACK!!

Bowling a 300 game never gets old

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Votto to Jays inevitable?

In my opinion that is a load of crap. I think when Votto hits the free agent market he will end up in toronto but I don't see the reds trading him anytime soon. If they did trade him however i wouldn't mind seeing Jose Bautista and Brett Lawrie in Reds uniforms.

You will not get both Bautista and Lawrie because 1 year of Votto is not worth that. I would like to get Escobar and pitching prospects like McGuire and Nicolino. Move Cozart to 2B and sign David Wright.

Quote Originally Posted by dMaus14 View Post
    You will not get both Bautista and Lawrie because 1 year of Votto is not worth that. I would like to get Escobar and pitching prospects like McGuire and Nicolino. Move Cozart to 2B and sign David Wright.
    No you won't get near that much but that is what I think the reds should start the asking price at if they were to trade him. I do like the pitching prospects though but just get Lawrie and either put him at 2B or leave him where they have him at 3B

I think that if we are out of it at the deadline this year or don't make the playoffs this year, we need to trade him. Our farm system is backloaded and position player heavy. We should look to get 2 of their top 5 pitching prospects, an OF prospect and maybe LInd or Escobar. That pushes our pitching prospects higher and could help us continually produce cheap producing players like the Rays.

The only problem I would have with trading him is who would you have take over? Fazier? Fransisco? Neftali Soto? Cairo? bring in Casey Kotchman? I just don't see them trading him at this point or even if they are out of it at the all star break

I'm fairly certain the Reds will not trade Joey Votto.

I'm also fairly certain Joey Votto will walk away in two years.

Cincinnati won't have any leverage in any trade scenario - every person involved in baseball knows that Votto will probably walk after 2013. If they know we need to trade him, the offers won't be as strong - especially considering he'll probably test free agency regardless. Toronto won't blow up its farm for Joey Votto when they can just be a little patient and throw a huge contract at him in two years.

The only time his value will be at its peak is during the season - fringe playoff teams will always overpay for a player that can push them over the edge. For us to entertain something like that, though, we'd have to be totally out of it at the deadline. I don't see that happening in the near future.

I think the Reds will keep their heads down and push through the next few years with everything they've got. They'll make Votto offers, he'll pass, sign a 200 million+ deal in Toronto or LA or wherever, and we'll re-allocate those funds into something else to help the team.

Biggest Key to Votto is Will the fans respond this year. Fans need to come to the ball park in full force and fill it up. I believe if the fans bring the money in the ownership will offer what he wants. Then its his personal decision. That you may never know. He seems happy in Cinci and has a good realationship with his teamates. So hopefully he will want to stay. If they are winning the next to years and everything is still intact I think he would stay.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Red Hoss View Post
    Biggest Key to Votto is Will the fans respond this year. Fans need to come to the ball park in full force and fill it up. I believe if the fans bring the money in the ownership will offer what he wants. Then its his personal decision. That you may never know. He seems happy in Cinci and has a good realationship with his teamates. So hopefully he will want to stay. If they are winning the next to years and everything is still intact I think he would stay.
    I highly doubt the fans supporting the team or even their embracing Votto to a greater extent will ultimately play any factor in Votto's choice as a free agent. Joey has always appeared detached from Cincy and even the Reds to a certain extent. He's always been a bottom line guy and in free agency his bottom line will no doubt be money. The Reds have made the move to win now so I'd be very surprised if they trade him at any point, but if they did I wouldn't fault them for it.

Quote Originally Posted by SidneySlicker View Post
    I highly doubt the fans supporting the team or even their embracing Votto to a greater extent will ultimately play any factor in Votto's choice as a free agent. Joey has always appeared detached from Cincy and even the Reds to a certain extent. He's always been a bottom line guy and in free agency his bottom line will no doubt be money. The Reds have made the move to win now so I'd be very surprised if they trade him at any point, but if they did I wouldn't fault them for it.
    I think you hit the nail on the head. Joe is prob going to leave, need to make 2 serious runs in the next 2 years and the only way Joe is traded is at the deadline in 2013 if the Reds are seriously out of it.
    Bring on 2018! #%?*!

Quote Originally Posted by SidneySlicker View Post
    He's saying if the fans come out in full force the next two years, we'll be able to afford him.

Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    He's saying if the fans come out in full force the next two years, we'll be able to afford him.
    Maybe. And I really, really hope you're right. But assuming that happens, our payroll would still only rise to the level of the Brewers or Cardinals in a best case situation. Playoff revenue could help supplement that, but our current TV deal isn't spectacular.

It's just tough for small-market teams to cut checks that big, for that long, unless they have a creative way to account for it in the years that contract spans. It will be interesting to see how they handle it.

I doubt he moves before he hits free agency. As others have pointed out, the Reds don't really have a ton of leverage at this point. Makes sense for both sides to wait.

Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    Unfortunately, that is only half of the equation.

I've been saying for a while that I think the Reds should trade for Bautista or a package deal of Lawrie. I now realize that neither trade would happen on the Jays part.

So I think the Reds should hold on to Votto for the length of the contract. Get there compesations picks in 2014. By then the Reds should have drafted another 1b prospect to go along with Soto.

I will say the longer the Reds hold onto Votto the more comfortable he will be in this environment. From what I read he is a different cat. Along with that, after the 2013 season the Reds and Jays might be two teams going in opposite directions completely. One contender and one at the bottom of the scrap heep. Lets all hope the Reds are the one on top. As of now Walt is trying to do his best to make sure the Reds is that team that makes a player want to stay.
    Last edited by Redsnake; 02-03-2012 at 08:36 AM.

I'll be curious to see how soto adjusts to AAA if he does well then i'll be fine

Turn Off Ads?