Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays: 2/3

Birthdays: 2/3

Reds:

Eric Owens (41) -Reds utility man from 1995 to '97. In 1999, he shared a locker with Garth Brooks when Garth went to spring training with the Padres, and he and Brooks have remained close friends.

Scott Klingenbeck (41) -Product of Cincinnati's Oak Hills H.S., he ended his career with a brief curtain call with the '98 Reds.

Freddie Tolliver (41) -Back-of-the-bullpen pitcher acquired from the Yankees in the deal that sent Griffey Senior to New York. He atoned for this somewhat by later being traded for Bo Diaz.

Slim Sallee -21-7 2.07 with the 1919 world champion Reds.

Others:

Fred Lynn (60) -One of only two players to win the MVP and Rookie of the Year awards the same year (Ichiro is the other). Only Stan Musial has hit more homers in all-star games.

Bake McBride (63) -His real first name is "Arnold". Would begin every at bat by scuffing the batter's box chalk lines until they disappeard. Once ended a 25-inning game against the Mets by scoring all the way from first on a wild pickoff throw. Clashed with Cardinals manager Vern Rapp over his facial hair policy, back when that kind of thing was an issue.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Birthdays: 2/3

I believe Lynn hit the first grand slam in All-Star game history.

And McBride, one of my favorite players, always had great hair...

Hoping to change my username to 75769024

Yes Lynn did hit the first grand slam in ASG history. It may still be the only one too. Lynn may have been a HOFer but he ran into too many walls and had injuries that hampered his career.

McBride and Oscar Gamble had the best hair of the 70's.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post

Fred Lynn (60) -One of only two players to win the MVP and Rookie of the Year awards the same year (Ichiro is the other). Only Stan Musial has hit more homers in all-star games.
    Lynn played for 5 different teams but considers himself a member of the Red Sox family. "I didn't want to leave the Red Sox. I'm a Red Sock".

What the...! I thought that the unanimous RedsZone opinion was that this is incorrect usage. In this case, for example, Lynn should have said "I'm a Red Sox". I know it sounds goofy but I'm sure that's what I read here on the board. I only know what I read on the ORG.

Turn Off Ads?