Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Report: Former Red Josh Hamilton has alcohol-related relapse

Report: Former Red Josh Hamilton has alcohol-related relapse

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Report: Former Red Josh Hamilton has alcohol-related relapse

Also on ESPN. Very sad new, and I hope he kicks it. Imagine what he could have done, if only he could have resisted temptation.
    Last edited by RedsfaninMT; 02-02-2012 at 10:46 PM. Reason: wrong word choice, made little sense. Sorry!

Vottobot

At least he wasn't smoking crack again (hopefully)... This is why he is gonna be out at least 1 or 2 months a year, because his body is weaker than everyone else in the league because of all the substance abuse. I root for the guy like crazy but you can't be an idiot :/
    Go Redlegs!!

Is anyone suprised to see this happen again??

I know that it is not the popular opinion on this board, but I'm glad that the Reds got rid of this guy when they did. I have never had confidence in his ability to stay healthy due to the damage that his body has sustained from substance abuse. The constant threat of relapse is also a sad factor that has to be consdiered.

I would hate to have the Reds be the team who gave this guy a lucrative longterm contract based off of his immense physical talent, only to have to watch a large portion of that money be wasted as the guy sits the bench 30-80 games a year with random injuries, or worse yet isn't able to keep a grasp on his addiction and once again puts a hiatus on his career.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Red Path View Post

I know that it is not the popular opinion on this board, but I'm glad that the Reds got rid of this guy when they did.
    Apparently the front office wasn't too high oh his presence in the clubhouse beyond the physical durability concerns. I just would have liked to gotten real value back for his production, though. Hindsight's 20/20 and all, but boy does it sting to see him rake when Volquez and Herrera aren't even with us anymore. And I half expect the Indians feel the same when when BP comes back to town.

It's really a shame in the big picture, though. I always pull for Hamilton and this isn't what you want to see during potential extension negotiations. I know after Narron stepped down as his accountability partner, they were going to appoint his father-in-law, but thought that went out the window for family reasons. Does anyone know it someone had been appointed since that happened a few weeks ago? Just hope it's something he is able to overcome, especially once his playing days are over.
    Last edited by Larkin88; 02-03-2012 at 07:18 AM.

Something is wrong when a man can't have a beer. I love Hamilton and he is my favorite player in baseball but this has happened every offseason let the man have a beer

Quote Originally Posted by alett12 View Post
    Something is wrong when a man can't have a beer. I love Hamilton and he is my favorite player in baseball but this has happened every offseason let the man have a beer
    Sure a beer with a shooter,maybe a couple.

You're kidding, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Larkin88 View Post
    You're kidding, right?
    There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I'm 18, so I don't drink but I see no problem with someone who can legaly drink going out and having a few beers even if they have his history he knows his limits and i feel truly sorry for him that he has to put up this this ****. He paid for his mistakes and he's worked his ass off to get back to being able to play baseball. He deserves to knock one back.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I'm 18, so I don't drink but I see no problem with someone who can legaly drink going out and having a few beers even if they have his history he knows his limits and i feel truly sorry for him that he has to put up this this ****. He paid for his mistakes and he's worked his ass off to get back to being able to play baseball. He deserves to knock one back.
    I'll give you a pass since, as you said, you're 18. But I'm guessing you've never known someone who was out and out addicted to a substance, otherwise I know you wouldn't be playing the "know your limits" card.

Beyond alcohol being an issue at its face for a person recovering from an addiction to alcohol (among other things), it warps inhibitions that could allow him to feel more compelled to use harder drugs. Hamilton has demons that make it borderline impossible to just "knock one back" and will for the rest of his life.

There's a difference between going out and drinking because you are legally allowed to do so and having a relapse as a recovering addict. I'm sorry you aren't more sensitive to the disease-like nature of these types of addiction, but am grateful you apparently haven't had it hit close to home in your life. Otherwise I would find it hard to believe you'd have such a cavalier attitude about it.
    Last edited by Larkin88; 02-03-2012 at 11:38 AM.

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

In theory, you make a lot of sense here. The only catch is that people with addiction problems will almost always not be able to limit it to just one. I took my mother out to dinner a few years ago (she's been recovering for 10 years.) and offered her an olive from my martini. She turned it down because the prospect of a relapse still scares her.

There is a reason why recovering alcoholics/addicts won't have even a drop. I truly hope Josh can handle it, but he shouldn't be compared to a person without addiction problems.

Pimpin...literally!!! dubc47834's Avatar

I feel this was a big reason the Reds got rid of him in the 1st place. I still feel bad for the guy, he seems to be a pretty good guy.

Hamilton did exactly the same thing in the offseason after 2009 and nothing happened here is an article from that one. Over blown just like this one.
    http://www.dallasnews.com/incoming/2...sstep-1474.ece

Completey overblown. Not saying his addictions aren't a serious matter. Most of us have been effected by Addiction in some way. But this does not effect his baseball value. Still the second worst trade in reds history. The guy is a yearly Allstar and MVP canidate, Please.

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse View Post
    Completey overblown. Not saying his addictions aren't a serious matter. Most of us have been effected by Addiction in some way. But this does not effect his baseball value. Still the second worst trade in reds history. The guy is a yearly Allstar and MVP canidate, Please.
    Thank you at last someone says that.

Turn Off Ads?