Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Oswalt II

Oswalt II

mlbtraderumors.com says Reds/Walt have talked with him recently, but the Reds would likely need to move payroll.

Not sure who they would get rid of to offset costs, but I would fall off my chair if they pulled that off at this point. It would cost a lot, but I will be ticked if the Cards get him instead.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

Re: Oswalt II

ESPN Insider is saying it is down to the Reds, Phillies & Red Sox -- but -- gasp -- they have been known to be wrong in the past.
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I wouldn't mind him in STL but will be be worth the $10MIL he wants?

Over $5-7MIL & a team is taking a HUGE chance IMO.

Oswalt news is rehashed mumbling. His head is so far up his backside, he won't even take a reasonable deal from any organization.

[redacted]

I've posted a bunch in the other Oswalt topic about why I think he'd be a steal for between 7-10 million, so I'll let that speak for itself. I think picking him up would be the absolute best move for this team. I like the moves we've made this off-season, but am still very worried about our lack of starting pitching. Oswalt would provide the talent and depth needed to make us favorites in a division that I still believe St. Louis has the upper-hand in (if they land Oswalt, ouch...

That being said, how do we manage to get him? Money is tight, and it seems he's looking for a 10 million deal. This could be a Madson 2.0 scenario, given that if he hasn't received that kind of offer from Boston, St. Louis, or Texas yet, he likely won't (unless they're catching on to the game and waiting for the market to collapse as well). It's also pretty transparent he wants to stick around the midwest, which is why I think the Cardinals are the favorite and the Reds still have an outside chance. The roster management is certainly possible, despite what most posters say (move Arroyo to the bullpen, his contract be damned. He's a glaring weakness in the rotation anyway).

So it all comes down to finances, as it always seems to. It's possible the FO will just push the budget out a little and widen the purse strings, given how much buzz has been made about the team being "all-in" for Votto's shortening tenure. Outside of that, moves would have to be made, and I don't see where a significant amount of money could be freed up. Does anyone know off-hand how much wiggle room we currently have? Would shipping off someone like Masset leave us enough to secure Oswalt? I would make that happen in a heart beat.

This team sorely needs more starting pitching. Oswalt is not only a top talent, but obtaining him also robs him from our biggest rivals.

I agree. Get it done. Oswalt will do a lot for this team. I get tired of people talking about how he is done and over the hill. He is 34, and would still be the 2nd or 3rd best pitcher on this team.

They need to move payroll to get a legit lead off hitter or a legit clean up hitter not another starter.
    I was in the ORG once, best 6 months of my life.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    They need to move payroll to get a legit lead off hitter or a legit clean up hitter not another starter.
    They have a legit leadoff hitter. His name is Brandon Phillips. They have a legit cleanup hitter. His name is Jay Bruce.

Get Oswalt.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I haven't seen it suggested, and it would not be my favorite move, but they could move Chapman, freeing up the necessary salary, and perhaps get some pretty good return on the move.

I suggest it as a possibility only because with Marshall and Bray in the pen, there would already be 2 lefties, and with an Oswalt signing, the likelihood of Chapman moving back to the pen increases substantially.

Sign him. You're missing a golden opportunity that won't come around again. What budget? The increase in ticket sales would go along way in offsetting an increase in payroll....along with anticipated postseason revenue.

No way I get rid of Chapman to sign Oswalt. With Latos, Cueto, Leake, and Chapman under team control for the next 4 years, we have the potential to have a solid staff, and thus a very good team over that period regardless if we sign Votto and Phillips long term.

You don't give that up for one year of a 35-year-old Oswalt. If we can get creative to fit him in this year, I say go for it, but if you're getting rid of anyone but Arroyo to to it, then let him go.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Rosenthal now reporting that Reds just "kicking the tires" and not actively pursuing Oswalt.

I don't remember hearing the same thing about the Reds and Ryan Madson about a week before they signed him either.

Hope it is another such surprise, but, like others, cannot see Arroyo in the pen, and I don't want to see a young affordable Bailey traded.

1. Cueto
    2. Latos
    3. Leake
    4. Arroyo
    5. Bailey

How the heck would he fit into the rotation ? He would almost have to take Leake's spot and then Leake would be the 6th starter in the event of an almost certain injury.

I say save the money for the Phillips extension and go with what we got.
    Pete Rose will be leaving the Montreal Expos to become player - manager for the Cincinnati Reds

Turn Off Ads?