Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Any photographers on here?

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Any photographers on here?

Just curious if anyone out there is into photography? Over the last 2 years or so I have really gotten into it. I shoot digitally with a Canon DSLR. I really enjoy shooting landscape panoramas but also enjoy shooting portraits outdoors. It has been a lazy Sunday so far while waiting for the Super Bowl to start and I have spent most of it reading about some flash photography issues (mostly issues with high speed synching) and I thought I would just see if anyone else on Redszone is into photography and what they are into. So, share some information if anyone else is out there that also enjoys carrying around their camera everywhere they go.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Any photographers on here?

I used to be quite an avid photographer and a part-time freelancer for a couple years when I got out of college. I kind of stopped shooting when digital took over, mostly due to costs of processing and the fact that I have not been able to afford a DSLR. I can process and print B&W the old fashioned way and I really enjoyed color transparency films. THose days are gone. I'm getting the itch again however. I really want to start back up and I'm just now saving up for a nice DSLR (probably Canon, which is what I shot with int he past; an AE-1).

I liked to shoot lots of things, but my favorites have always been photojournalistic, especially focusing on humans. I like images that tell stories about the world. I'll see if I can dig up some old shots and post them.

If you have any style or composition questions feel free to post here or PM me. One thing I'll leave with is to really get a sense of depth of field & how it relates to aperture. It's very important.

What are you saving up for spazzrico?

I have a "savings" envelope that I toss cash into each week for my next camera purchase, I just don't know what I am going to go with. I could really use a flash, but a nice wide angle lens for landscapes would also be a nice addition to my current lenses (50mm 1.8, 55mm-250mm and the kit lens that is 18-55mm). I could probably get a nice wide angle lens for about 60% of what I could get a 580ex II flash for (I would start out with this one since it can be a master for other flashes, while the others can only be slaves).

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Doug,

I'm spending a month back packing through Europe in May. I know nothing about photography other than to click the button. I'm loooking for something I can use without needing to spend a month leveling up my photo skills but can still take quality pics. Luggage space will be an issue so I will probably not opt for anything needing me to carry multiple lenses. If I gave you a budget of 500$ what would you recommend for me?

I don't do anything high end- I leave that up to my father who has taken this on as a post retirement hobby. The thing I have enjoyed the most from all the recent advances and the change to digital is the ability to just take a bunch of pictures and not worry about the blurry or bad shots that result from taking pictures of dogs/kids/ playing around with setting. The immediacy of the download and avoiding the cost of processing has been a beautiful thing.

I couldn't help but think of this old skit when I read the title.
    Photography bit starts at 1:13
    Monty Python Nudge Nudge Wink Wink - YouTube
    Last edited by klw; 02-13-2012 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    Doug,

I'm spending a month back packing through Europe in May. I know nothing about photography other than to click the button. I'm loooking for something I can use without needing to spend a month leveling up my photo skills but can still take quality pics. Luggage space will be an issue so I will probably not opt for anything needing me to carry multiple lenses. If I gave you a budget of 500$ what would you recommend for me?
    I honestly wouldn't even know where to begin on something like that. I haven't used a "point and shoot" camera in probably 5-6 years. Just know that more megapixels don't always = better quality photos. Pixels themselves are different sizes in different cameras and the pixel size can change the quality of the picture at 100%, though if you aren't going to be printing/framing any of your pictures any larger than 8x10, this won't come into play at all.

I would suggest being sure you get a camera that supports SDHC cards instead of just SD cards. I don't know if that is a standard on all newer point and shoot cameras though, so be sure to ask when you are shopping. SDHC = SD High Capacity. They are cards that are over 4GB and with a trip that long, you might need as much space as possible. SDHC cards are cheap these days. I would also recommend buying a San Disk brand memory card. If you camera shoots HD video, you will likely need a card that is at least a Class 6 or higher card so the buffer rate can keep up. If you don't plan on using the video function, or if your camera doesn't support it, you should be fine.

As for the camera, I would suggest figuring out what you want out of it, then scouring the internet for cameras with those options. Look at Amazon.com and check out the reviews for those cameras and look at the submitted images taken with that camera.

Quote Originally Posted by klw View Post
    I don't do anything high end- I leave that up to my father who has taken this on as a post retirement hobby. The thing I have enjoyed the most from all the recent advances and the change to digital is the ability to just take a bunch of pictures and not worry about the blurry or bad shots that result from taking pictures of dogs/kids/ playing around with setting. The immediacy of the download and avoiding the cost of processing has been a beautiful thing.
    Processing is still out there and it certainly costs money.... if you want to go that route. Even doing the digital processing at home costs money. I have Adobe Lightroom 3, which was $200 and I have Photoshop that I got as part of Creative Suite 4 from someone who was in college for chump change when they bought it from school "for a class". While it isn't the same as it used to be before the digital age, especially since I can use my programs forever if I truly wanted to, the money is still there for processing and I do have to do it myself or pay a little extra at the place who prints my images for me if I want them to do it.

I shoot a Nikon D90 and process with Lightroom 2.7. I send by pics to Walgreen's or online places for printing and have for the most part been quite satisfied. I just shoot family stuff mostly but have also done some sporting event pictures. Always able to learn something more in this field, the possibilities are endless.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson24 View Post
    I shoot a Nikon D90 and process with Lightroom 2.7. I send by pics to Walgreen's or online places for printing and have for the most part been quite satisfied. I just shoot family stuff mostly but have also done some sporting event pictures. Always able to learn something more in this field, the possibilities are endless.
    I just bought my first external flash and set of wireless triggers and plan on picking up a few more as the year gets along. I want to get into some more strobist type of shooting. It is an addicting.... and expensive hobby.

Turn Off Ads?