Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Is this team built for its ballpark?

Is this team built for its ballpark?

I really dislike a high strikeout/low OBP% approach to hitting, regardless of power. I don't think you can win a division with too many of those guys in your lineup at the same time. Good pitching will usually beat a team relying almost solely on the HR to score. I've fretted over it and complained about it, openly wishing for at least one (and preferably two) more low strikeout/high OBP% hitter(s) to stick in the lineup either before or immeditely after Votto. My worst fear on this matter was that the Reds organization was ok with this high risk/high reward approach. Then, this week my fear seemed to again be confirmed when (1) Stubbs reiterated that he didn't see a problem and didn't intend to make any adjustments; and (2) Phillips reiterated that when hitting 4th he changes his approach to hitting trying to generate more power, and doesn't worry about his average, just his RBI totals.

So, at that point I just gave up on the hitting. But, the thing is the Reds keep winning. So, now I have to consider that maybe I'm just wrong. I know the Reds have guys making the decisions who, as they say, have forgotten more baseball than I'll ever know. So, I've started thinking maybe the Reds built this team with their ballpark in mind. With the way the ball flies out of Great American Ballpark, maybe this approach makes sense. I still don't agree, but what do you think?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is this team built for its ballpark?

This hitting philosophy can win games if everyone is on the same page. Although I wish they would try to take the bat out of players hands in certain situations, like hacking on pitches on a 3-0, 3-1 or 2-1 count. I'd just love to see this team take more pitches and force opposing pitchers to multiple 20+ pitch innings. There's ways to get into the opposing bullpen early other than pummeling the scoreboard.

Yeah....just have more players work the pitcher more often and don't get too HR happy....Votto hits the HR but is more looking for the gapper but will settle with a single or a walk. Hanigan, Heisey and Phillips of late also have been hitting it where it's pitched. Too many insisting to pull HR like Bruce every time up and doom will follow.

27-20

Magic Number down to 113?

Quote Originally Posted by DocRed View Post
    27-20
    15-9 at home.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Not sure about GABP....but we definitely are missing Willie Harris.

The pride is back. Assembly Hall's Avatar

I dont think the team is put together quite right myself as far as the position players go. But it is basically the same guys that won a couple of years ago, and they are winning right now. But if Stubbs could develop into a true lead-off man and Heisey keeps doing what he is doing, I could change my thoughts in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    15-9 at home.
    Yeah, but in all fairness to the Reds, that's not unique to them.

2 or 3 years ago or so our great sage DustyPick commented that he hoped baseball wasn't turning into the NBA or NFL, whichever it was, where home field/home park advantage was just unbelivably strong. I mean that same year I think it was the Braves, you almost couldn't touch them in Atlanta. But get them on the road and even the worst teams in the league could beat them.

Quote Originally Posted by Assembly Hall View Post
    I dont think the team is put together quite right myself as far as the position players go. But it is basically the same guys that won a couple of years ago, and they are winning right now. But if Stubbs could develop into a true lead-off man and Heisey keeps doing what he is doing, I could change my thoughts in a hurry.
    Stubbs developing into a leadoff hitter? Stubbs won't develop into anything other than what he is. And I can live with him in CF, but PLEASE bat him down in the order (7 or 8) to minimize the damage.
    Huh? Huh-uh. Oh yeah, uh-huh.

Turn Off Ads?