Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays- 7/29

Birthdays- 7/29

Reds:

Johnny Ruffin (41)- Would have been better with a better organization, IMHO; the Reds of Ruffin's time could never get him to refine his natural gifts enough to be successful.

Dan Driessen (60)- For whatever reason, he never really had the big year everyone thought he would have.

Others:

Chad Billingsely (27)

Ryan Braun (31)- Yet I keep thinking of him as a young player.

Greg Minton (60)- Had a long career and never really had a bad year.

Don Wert (73)- Best remembered as a throw-in in the deal that sent Denny McClain to Washington.

Felix Mantilla (77)- His swing was supposedly perfect for Fenway Park; check out his stats for his Boston years as opposed to the years before and after.

Chief Meyers- Catcher in the first part of the 20th century, mostly with McGraw's Giants. A Native American, an intellegent and dignified man, and a fine offensive player. Would be a HOF candidate if his career had been longer. Lived to be 91; recited "Casey At The Bat" on the TODAY show when he was way up in his eighties.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: Birthdays- 7/29

Wiki has Ryan Braun's birthday as Nov. 17, 1983,
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Oops...sloppy work on my part. This is another Ryan Braun; a pitcher who appeared briefly for the Royals. Sorry...
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

I was a huge Johnny Ruffin fan. He was the key to the Tim Belcher trade. I really thought Ruffin would be the next Rijo or Soto.
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Dan Driessen (60)- For whatever reason, he never really had the big year everyone thought he would have.
    No, but he had a career filled with lots of good years. Until I checked his stats I didn't think he belonged in the Reds Hall of Fame. After I checked...well, I'm a believer.

Turn Off Ads?