Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cooperstown

Cooperstown

I'm trying to make plans to travel to Cooperstown for Larkin's induction the weekend of July 21-22. Currently, it looks like I'm going to fly into Albany, rent a car, and get a hotel in Oneonta.

I'm looking for advice. Has anyone else made plans for this summer? Those of you who have been to Cooperstown -- are my plans solid? Is there anything I should know, like Oneonta is infested with zombies or something?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Cooperstown

Oneonta is a not a bad little town. I attended a baseball game there in 2007 I believe it was. The Tigers NY-Penn League was there then. They've been hi-jacked to Connecticutt since then. I recall that alcohol sales were not permitted at the park. My friend and I went across the street, bought a 12 pack, and went in and out between innings for some suds. The lady at the gate didn't mind at all.
    Cooperstown has a couple of breweries worth looking at. Ommegang Brewery is not far outside town at all and is nationally known, they make good beer. There is another brewery outside town and I can't recall the name of it right now. It is a smaller brewery. The brewery has a baseball related name for what it is worth. There is a nice lake on the skirts of Cooperstown. They have an eatery or two down by the water and a tour boat...or two. It is an absolutely beautiful part of the country there. That's my recollection of our trip up. Of course, the HOF is a stop you'll never forget. Enjoy your trip.

Albany's definitely the right place to fly into.

Also, Oneonta's zombie issue is vastly overblown.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

I've decided my growing dislike of crowds will keep me from going up for the ceremony. I'm getting old. I do plan on driving up before the end of summer. I've never been and, well, I'm getting old. Besides, my father tells me I need to visit the camp for the blind that my great-uncle founded in central Pennsylvania, and I want to go wandering.

So, is there a particular route I should take to avoid the zombies? Are they as bad as the deer are around here?

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tixe View Post
    So, is there a particular route I should take to avoid the zombies? Are they as bad as the deer are around here?
    They're not as bad as deer because they don't do as much damage to your vehicle when you hit them at 70 mph.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Speaking of zombies WEHT zombie-a-go-go?

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Speaking of zombies WEHT zombie-a-go-go?
    Yikes, I just checked and his last visit was in May of '07!

What in the heck happens to all of these people who are heavy-duty regulars and then fall off the face of the earth?

I along with my brothers and my cousin are driving to Cooperstown to see Barry get inducted. We are staying the day and then heading back. The hotel costs seem to be too high in that area during that time. We will probably stop near Buffalo on the way back to sleep. We have also planned to go off course a bit and stop by Canton on the way back. We figure that we can all cross two things off our bucket lists in one weekend. I hope that the whole town will be painted in Reds fans for Barry.
    Jack Eliot: I'm a World Series MVP!
    Skip: That was four years ago, Jack. Last season, you hit .235.
    Jack Eliot: LAST SEASON, I led this team in ninth-inning doubles in the month of August!

---Mr. Baseball 1992

Quote Originally Posted by tommycash View Post
    I along with my brothers and my cousin are driving to Cooperstown to see Barry get inducted.

I hope that the whole town will be painted in Reds fans for Barry.
    That's the main reason I'm going. There probably won't ever be another opportunity like this, when the lone HOF inductee is a lifetime Cincinnati Red.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    That's the main reason I'm going. There probably won't ever be another opportunity like this, when the lone HOF inductee is a lifetime Cincinnati Red.
    You are exactly right. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity. (Unless Dave Concepcion gets in under the Veteran's Committee) This will probably be the last time in a long time before a player who spent his entire career with the Reds goes into the Hall. We can all hope that Joey stays with us for his whole career, but it is not likely. There is no guarantee that he makes the Hall anyway.
    Jack Eliot: I'm a World Series MVP!
    Skip: That was four years ago, Jack. Last season, you hit .235.
    Jack Eliot: LAST SEASON, I led this team in ninth-inning doubles in the month of August!

---Mr. Baseball 1992

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    There will probably be a smattering of Cubs gear around town too, with Ron Santo being inducted posthumously.

I wish I could make the trip, but don't think I can swing it.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    There will probably be a smattering of Cubs gear around town too, with Ron Santo being inducted posthumously.

I wish I could make the trip, but don't think I can swing it.
    Possibly, but those will be die-hard Cubs fans, not the rowdy bandwagoners who like to get drunk and invade GAB.

I'm hoping to make the trek myself, it'll be my 1st time as well. I can't think of a better time to go than when your favorite all time player is inducted. Perhaps we can have a RZ get together also, maybe a lunch or something if nothing else. I imagine I'll drive up or perhaps take a bus.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I booked my trip yesterday. Oneonta hotels appear to be booked up (at least the nice ones are), so I'm staying in Albany. Looking forward to seeing a sea of Reds fans that weekend.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I'm going to get my van out of semi-retirement for that weekend and just drive up there and spend the weekend at a truck stop.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-DeMaris/e/B07BD4JBQB

Turn Off Ads?