Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buster busting on Reds

Re: Buster busting on Reds

Quote Originally Posted by alett12 View Post
    There is a differnce when it comes to coming back from tommy john and a combination of back stiffness, mono, and carpal tunnel. I expect bronson to actually be better than Wainwright just due to the fact it generally takes two years to fully recover from tommy john and as long as bronson starts the season healthy i think he will be fine.
    I agree with this. It seems people think Wainwright will just be back to his old self from day one. He has to learn to have faith in that arm first. that may take a while. Then there is the physical side of getting the arm back to shape.
    2012 is Going To Be a Great Year!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

We will know very shortly what kind of year Bronson will have, if his fastball isn't back up in the 89-91 range, he will be awful again.

Quote Originally Posted by brad1176 View Post
    We will know very shortly what kind of year Bronson will have, if his fastball isn't back up in the 89-91 range, he will be awful again.
    that i agree with. if nothing else dusty will leave him in to eat innings

[redacted]

The big difference is that these guys aren't on the same talent level to begin with. They aren't even close. A healthy Adam Wainwright is one of the best pitchers in the majors, while Bronson in his prime was never much better than decent.

Last year Arroyo was the absolute worst starting pitcher in all of baseball. Even if he bounces back some and Wainwright is slow to recover, it's hard to imagine a scenario in which Bronson outpitches him.

There is not a baseball analyst on earth who predicts a better 2012 from Arroyo than Wainwright. None. There's a reason for this. You're setting yourself up for some huge disappoinents if that's the kind of season you see us having.

Quote Originally Posted by [deleted] View Post
    The big difference is that these guys aren't on the same talent level to begin with. They aren't even close. A healthy Adam Wainwright is one of the best pitchers in the majors, while Bronson in his prime was never much better than decent.

Last year Arroyo was the absolute worst starting pitcher in all of baseball. Even if he bounces back some and Wainwright is slow to recover, it's hard to imagine a scenario in which Bronson outpitches him.

There is not a baseball analyst on earth who predicts a better 2012 from Arroyo than Wainwright. None. There's a reason for this. You're setting yourself up for some huge disappoinents if that's the kind of season you see us having.
    For for the first 4 years bronson was with the reds he was as solid as they come. Just because he wasn't flashy doesn't mean hes not a great pitcher. Bronsonwas great for the reds everyseason but one. Now everyone is agaisnt him and not willing to give himself a season to redeem himself. Is he a #1 or2? No but he is solid and could regain that form.

Quote Originally Posted by [deleted] View Post

Take a deep breath, we're just randomly talking baseball stuff until the season starts. Bronson is not better than Wainright in any stretch of the imagination. I suspect that Wainright won't do much pitching this year though, it's too soon since the surgery.

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by alett12 View Post
    that i agree with. if nothing else dusty will leave him in to eat innings
    Eat innings and lose ballgames. I fear that will be the case.
    Zero chance the Reds miss the playoffs!

Yea we have Paul yanish to eat inngs and lose games. Don't need it from Arroyo.

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by brad1176 View Post
    I am pulling for him but you are correct. If he toes the rubber with a mid-80s heater it is gonna be another long season. I am cautiously optimistic because it is spring. And that's what spring is for.
    Zero chance the Reds miss the playoffs!

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I am pulling for him but you are correct. If he toes the rubber with a mid-80s heater it is gonna be another long season. I am cautiously optimistic because it is spring. And that's what spring is for.
    Bronson has some things going for him in that he doesn't throw from one position. He has everything from an over the top release to a 3/4 release. He has never gotten people out based on heat. He mixes velocity quite well also.

You're right though, a max of 85-88mph fb will make for plenty of work for the defense.
    "Baseball is 90% mental -- the other half is physical."
    - Yogi Berra

[redacted]

Quote Originally Posted by Big Red Hoss View Post
    For for the first 4 years bronson was with the reds he was as solid as they come. Just because he wasn't flashy doesn't mean hes not a great pitcher. Bronsonwas great for the reds everyseason but one. Now everyone is agaisnt him and not willing to give himself a season to redeem himself. Is he a #1 or2? No but he is solid and could regain that form.
    I agree to an extant: Arroyo was quite decent for us for a few years. That first year (2006?) he was especially good, but the rest he's been mediocre. Don't confuse that for me saying he was bad - he was passable as a back-end starter, no doubt. But the question isn't "what kind of career has Bronson Arroyo had," it's "will he help us going forward?" And I simply can't look past how remarkably bad he was last season. So many fans seem okay with looking past this, assuming he'll bounce back... and even if he comes back 100%, it's still not like we'd be getting an above-average pitcher. We'd be getting a 35-year-old mediocre one on the decline... if he bounces 100% back. I'm just not comfortable crossing my fingers and handing 1/5 of our games over to what has a very good chance of being a travesty again.

Personally I'm optimistic Bronson will bounce back will he be as good as he was? No but he should throw around 200 innings again which is what they need it isn't like he has to start in the playoffs

I hope Bronson bounces back, but I'm not betting on it. I say he has an ERA over 5 this year.

that very well could be true but he'll still lead the team in IP

[redacted]

If someone throws 200 innings but is bad, that... That hurts the team more than it helps. Does that need to be said?

Turn Off Ads?