Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Anyone here an Elk?

Anyone here an Elk?

There's a clubhouse just blocks from my work. In fact, it's the Oldest Elk's Club in the country. I'm thinking of joining.

The clubhouse features a gym, pool, courts, sauna, steamroom, pool tables, bar with cheap drinks. All for dues which I don't think are very expensive -- less than a gym membership.

My quandry: I'm not much a joiner. Besides that you're supposed to be a believer and I'm not. I'm also a little afraid of the investigation/indoctrination/initiation process. I hate being the center of attention and I'm not a ritual guy.

I understand this stuff is supposed to be secret but any experiences one can share would be appreciated.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Anyone here an Elk?

If it's like being a Mason I think you just have to believe in a "higher power" and it's pretty non-specific.

I've considered Freemasonry, but I'd probably be the youngest guy there by far and I'm not sure how I feel about that. Most of the induction stuff for that can be found online, even though it's supposed to be secretive, I'll bet it's the same for Elks.
    Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfaithful View Post
    I've considered Freemasonry, but I'd probably be the youngest guy there by far and I'm not sure how I feel about that. Most of the induction stuff for that can be found online, even though it's supposed to be secretive, I'll bet it's the same for Elks.
    I can't really find it. Although I haven't looked exhaustively. I think there's more about the Masons because they're so scaaaaary. Alex Jones doesn't care about the Elks.

Higher power? I could fudge that. I think there are powers in the universe that we don't know about. Higher? Sure. Why not?

I wouldn't worry about being too young. You're in your early 30's?

Yep, 30. From what I've read some lodges are largely 60+. It's kind of a slowly dying thing.

I'm getting ready to join a tennis club and softball is coming up, I think that's probably going to be my attempts for being more social for the next little bit. It is a struggle at times, because I don't really have work colleagues like most people do.

Yep, 30. From what I've read some lodges are largely 60+. It's kind of a slowly dying thing.
    Yeah. Which is why you'd get in easy.

You should be thankful you don't have work colleagues. I've always resisted the idea that I should hang out with people the system has compelled me to be with.

Ha, true.

I think my issue is that I have family, and I have a few deep attachments/friends, but I don't have the casual after work get a beer thing I think a lot of people have. Possibly (probably?) that's overrated.

You've got me thinking about it again.

I am an Elk. Have been for several years. You will get as much out of it as you put into it. Don't just take what they stand for lightly, it means a great deal to those that belong to the order.

The one you described sounds like a more active lodge what the one I attend. We have meetings twice a month, special activities about every other month and the bar is open 7 days a week with reasonable hours but not real late. Most of the membership here is older but there are some younger guys. My lodge was established in the 1890's I believe.

You also have to be invited to become a member, someone has to sponsor your application.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

Here is some more information about membership:

To be eligible for membership in the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, you must be a citizen of the United States over the age of 21 who believes in God.

You must be sponsored by a member of the Elks Lodge and reside in the jurisdiction of the Lodge you wish to join. You also need two other Elks who will be your co-sponsors. The Elk who proposes you for membership must obtain a Membership Application from the Lodge Secretary.

After your proposer fills in the required portion, you will be given the Application for Membership. Fill it in, following the instructions and answering all questions. Return the completed application to the Lodge Secretary.

Your application will be read at a regular Lodge meeting. It will then be forwarded to the Investigating Committee, who will call you and set up a time for you and your sponsor to meet with the committee so that they can interview you.

After the interview is concluded, the committee will report to the Lodge concerning your membership. The members will be given a notice not less than 10 days nor more than two months before the vote will be taken.

When the vote is concluded, you will be notified and asked to present yourself and your spouse for indoctrination. During indoctrination, you will learn more about the Order's programs and charities. You will also be told during the program the date you will be initiated.

After initiation as an Elk, you can take part in all meetings and social functions of the Lodge.

If for any reason your application is rejected, you cannot make application for membership for six months from the date of rejection.

I think my issue is that I have family, and I have a few deep attachments/friends, but I don't have the casual after work get a beer thing I think a lot of people have. Possibly (probably?) that's overrated.
    I think it is a bit overrated, if you actually like who you get to go home to after work, which I do. It's not a bad extra little social outlet to have though.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Ha, true.

You've got me thinking about it again.
    "You say you hate your job. There's a support group for that, it's called everybody. We meet at the bar." - Drew Carey.

If you want to get a beer, get a beer. I've cultivated a number of "locals" over the years: the Silver Spur, Chances, the Little Shamrock, Terry's Lodge, the Gold Cane and the Blarney Stone. I love dive bars, and not in some patronizing, ironic way. Dive bars are refuges from digital corporate banality and have some great people -- and a quite a few hopeless drunks.

Or you could join a pool league. Don't know how well you play but if they have a handicapping system, like mine does, they want low-skill players.

http://www.apacolumbus.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson24 View Post
    Here is some more information about membership:

To be eligible for membership in the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, you must be a citizen of the United States over the age of 21 who believes in God.

You must be sponsored by a member of the Elks Lodge and reside in the jurisdiction of the Lodge you wish to join. You also need two other Elks who will be your co-sponsors. The Elk who proposes you for membership must obtain a Membership Application from the Lodge Secretary.

After your proposer fills in the required portion, you will be given the Application for Membership. Fill it in, following the instructions and answering all questions. Return the completed application to the Lodge Secretary.

Your application will be read at a regular Lodge meeting. It will then be forwarded to the Investigating Committee, who will call you and set up a time for you and your sponsor to meet with the committee so that they can interview you.

After the interview is concluded, the committee will report to the Lodge concerning your membership. The members will be given a notice not less than 10 days nor more than two months before the vote will be taken.

When the vote is concluded, you will be notified and asked to present yourself and your spouse for indoctrination. During indoctrination, you will learn more about the Order's programs and charities. You will also be told during the program the date you will be initiated.

After initiation as an Elk, you can take part in all meetings and social functions of the Lodge.

If for any reason your application is rejected, you cannot make application for membership for six months from the date of rejection.
    Thanks for all this. On second thought I'll probably not do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson24 View Post
    I am an Elk. Have been for several years. You will get as much out of it as you put into it. Don't just take what they stand for lightly, it means a great deal to those that belong to the order.

The one you described sounds like a more active lodge what the one I attend. We have meetings twice a month, special activities about every other month and the bar is open 7 days a week with reasonable hours but not real late. Most of the membership here is older but there are some younger guys. My lodge was established in the 1890's I believe.

You also have to be invited to become a member, someone has to sponsor your application.
    What are some of the benefits of being a member of one of these groups? I assume camaraderie, a new group of friends, a chance to help out with charitable projects are part of the attraction. What else is involved?

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    What are some of the benefits of being a member of one of these groups? I assume camaraderie, a new group of friends, a chance to help out with charitable projects are part of the attraction. What else is involved?
    You are not required to attend the meetings but some do, however the bar is closed during meeting times.

You can also hold an office if elected or appointed. If you like the ritualistic/history/mystery type of thing it can be fun. The initiations seem like you step back in time a few hundred years, which I think is interesting. Men and women are both allowed to be members, however most are men.

We have activities every Sunday geared around the Nascar races. Not sure if all lodges do this. We also have dinners before the regular meetings.

There are different committees to be a part of, like the scholarship committee or DARE partnership.

Many of the issues you brought up are the bigger reasons though. Like I said what you put into the lodge you will get out of it.

It's not for everyone, but for some people it fills a void. That is especially true with single people or older retirees that just like to belong to something and have somewhere to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    "You say you hate your job. There's a support group for that, it's called everybody. We meet at the bar." - Drew Carey.

If you want to get a beer, get a beer. I've cultivated a number of "locals" over the years: the Silver Spur, Chances, the Little Shamrock, Terry's Lodge, the Gold Cane and the Blarney Stone. I love dive bars, and not in some patronizing, ironic way. Dive bars are refuges from digital corporate banality and have some great people -- and a quite a few hopeless drunks.

Or you could join a pool league. Don't know how well you play but if they have a handicapping system, like mine does, they want low-skill players.

http://www.apacolumbus.com/
    More good points. I'd been putting off the tennis thing, but this thread gave me a kick in the pants and I made an appointment today to go look at Olympic Tennis Center. I was a member of a different club in Columbus a couple years ago (Wickertree) and wasn't impressed, but I think I was a little disillusioned coming from Atlanta where the tennis was abundant and so low cost it might as well be free.

Turn Off Ads?