Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who is Redszone's #31 prospect?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • RHP Nick Christiani

1 2.44%
  • RHP Jonathan Correa

1 2.44%
  • LHP Vaugh Covington

0 0%
  • LHP Matt Fairel

1 2.44%
  • RHP Drew Hayes

2 4.88%
  • RHP Jordan Hotchkiss

0 0%
  • RHP Josh Judy

6 14.63%
  • SS Juan Perez

2 4.88%
  • RHP Dan Renken

2 4.88%
  • RHP Chad Rogers

0 0%
  • OF Bryson Smith

0 0%
  • RHP Dan Tuttle

1 2.44%
  • IF Chris Valaika

3 7.32%
  • RHP Pedro Villarreal

6 14.63%
  • OF Kyle Waldrop

16 39.02%
  • other (please list below)

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is Redszone's #31 prospect?

Who is Redszone's #31 prospect?

#1 C Devin Mesoraco
    #2 SS Billy Hamilton
    #3 SS Zack Cozart
    #4 RHP Dan Corcino
    #5 RHP Robert Stephenson
    #6 1B Neftali Soto
    #7 OF Yorman Rodriguez
    #8 UT Todd Frazier
    #9 SS Didi Gregorius
    #10 2B Henry Rodriguez
    #11 LHP Tony Cingrani
    #12 OF Juan Duran
    #13 RHP Kyle Lotzkar
    #14 3B Gabriel Rosa
    #15 C Tucker Barnhart
    #16 3B David Vidal
    #17 RHP J.C. Sulbaran
    #18 OF Ryan LaMarre
    #19 1B Donald Lutz
    #20 OF Denis Phipps
    #21 RHP Tim Crabbe
    #22 RHP Andrew Brackman
    #23 LHP Amir Garrett
    #24 UT Brodie Greene
    #25 LHP Donnie Joseph
    #26 1B/3B Sean Buckley
    #27 3B Junior Arias
    #28 RHP Josh Smith
    #29 2B Ryan Wright
    #30 RHP Drew Cisco

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who is Redszone's #31 prospect?

I like Waldrop here. He's a quick, high-upside outfielder whose stats look like that of a younger LaMarre. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do in Dayton this year.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Still going with Pedro Villarreal here. I think of the pitchers left, he would have the best combo of stuff and polish.

For the record, Baseball America had Waldrop at #22 on the Reds' prospect list. Baseball Prospectus had him #13, with this blurb: "Athletic outfielder impressed Pioneer League scouts in 2011, has excellent chance to move up."

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    For the record, Baseball America had Waldrop at #22 on the Reds' prospect list. Baseball Prospectus had him #13, with this blurb: "Athletic outfielder impressed Pioneer League scouts in 2011, has excellent chance to move up."
    His lack of plate discipline has him further down the list for me. I want to see him adjust when guys stop throwing him strikes.

I've been voting for Hayes because I'm not really sold on any of the guys who are left. Really, the guy I like best is Correa, but there have been so many issues.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

So a rookie baller who had 10 BB in 293 PAs is going to win a prospect vote over a starting pitcher who had success in AA last year with solid peripherals and good stuff? Wow.

I will like to follow Waldrop over the next few years and I do think he could develop, but there is no way I would trade a Pedro Villareal to get him.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    So a rookie baller who had 10 BB in 293 PAs is going to win a prospect vote over a starting pitcher who had success in AA last year with solid peripherals and good stuff? Wow.

I will like to follow Waldrop over the next few years and I do think he could develop, but there is no way I would trade a Pedro Villareal to get him.
    I would. Villarreal's hardly a spotless prospect either. He's a 24 year old who will probably have to spend more time in AA next season after posting a 4.42 ERA there in 91 innings. The peripherals have been decent, and seem to be generally improving as he moves up, but he's going to have to start distinguishing himself as he gets closer to the majors.

Waldrop hasn't blown us away yet, but he could shoot up this list if his plate patience and some more power shows up. Dayton should be a good test of his worth as a prospect.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The DARK View Post
    I would. Villarreal's hardly a spotless prospect either. He's a 24 year old who will probably have to spend more time in AA next season after posting a 4.42 ERA there in 91 innings. The peripherals have been decent, and seem to be generally improving as he moves up, but he's going to have to start distinguishing himself as he gets closer to the majors.

Waldrop hasn't blown us away yet, but he could shoot up this list if his plate patience and some more power shows up. Dayton should be a good test of his worth as a prospect.
    Of course Villareal isn't a spotless prospect, no team's 31st best prospect will be spotless. I would just much rather have an advanced starting pitching prospect who has average ML stuff compared to a rookie baller who showed no ability to take a walk in his brief minor league career. Waldrop may have a higher ceiling, but Villareal is worth more to me considering he pitches and has pretty good results along with pretty good stuff.

Who wants a mustache ride Ohayou's Avatar

I'd like to see somebody make a case for Waldrop over Perez. I really would.
    Arise and walk, come through. A world beyond that door is calling out for you. Arise and walk, come through. It's calling out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    My only argument there is that we simply don't know a whole lot about Perez. The few scouting reviews floating around that I've seen have been pretty good, but haven't mentioned much beyond him having decent skills all around and being a guy to watch. Waldrop was widely touted as a raw, toolsy guy to watch last season after we went over slot for him, and he flashed some of it this year in his extra base hits.

I'm keeping my eye on Perez and will pick him soon, but right now I see a pretty big shrug from the scouts and half a season of stats split between two rookie ball leagues that got worse as he started to move up. Nothing against him, but he was a 26th rounder and I'd like a bit more evidence in his favor first.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohayou View Post
    I think Dark said it well: We're simply a bit more familiar with Waldrop, from the touting of his athletic ability when he was drafted to the buzz he created last year in the Pioneer League to the nice (surprising) rankings given him by the industry publications. But you make a good point by calling our attention to Perez, who put up excellent numbers last year. Can you give us more? A little background? Will he stick at shortstop?

As for the earlier Waldrop/Villarreal comparison . . . First off, I don't think there's a right or wrong here. Just preference. For me, Waldrop has a little more dimension to him, a better chance to be special. He's a very young, rangy athlete who has already demonstrated an impressive ability to drive the ball into the gaps and churn around the bases. Villarreal, while progressing nicely and offering up a lot to like, has never really separated himself.

On the other hand, Drew Hayes has. If I were opting for a pitcher here, he'd be the guy.

Perez isn't going to stick at shortstop in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Perez isn't going to stick at shortstop in the long run.
    I'll acknowledge this, though: I've had Brandon Dailey ranked ahead of Perez; but having been pointed in Perez's direction, I'll probably have to reconsider that one. I thought Dailey was younger than Perez, but it's only by three months. (Although, being from Ontario, Dailey might have to be regarded as even younger, baseball-wise.)

I noticed that the Reds site listed Sal Romano as the 17th prospect. I had been considering him as well based on his BA scouting report and the substantial over slot money he received. A tall RHP with a 94 MPH fastball at age 18 sounds like a high ceiling to me. Please add to the list.

Turn Off Ads?