Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Birthdays: 2/7

Birthdays: 2/7

Reds:

Charlie Puleo (57) -When the Reds allowed Seaver to finish out his career with the Mets, Charlie was part of what we got back for him...Okay... When I was a little kid, there was a group that used to appear on shows like Ed Sullivan called "Johnny Puleo and the Harmonica Gang". Johnny was a dwarf, or little person, and the act consisted of Johnny and his bandmates playing harmonicas and doing slapstick stuff- kicking each other in the shins and the like. I guess you had to be there; is anyone else out there old enough to remember this? Anyway, I'm wandering far afield here, but my point is that it's hard to take a guy seriously as a pitcher when you're wondering if he's related to a harmonica-playing dwarf.

Pat Moran -19th-century catcher who managed both the Reds and the Phillies to their first world championships. Also given credit for developing Grover Cleveland Alexander as a pitcher. Might have been one of the great managers of all time, but he drank himself into an early grave.

Others:

Carney Lansford (55) -In the 1994 remake of "Angels In The Outfield", Carney plays "Hit Or Die Kesey", who gets struck out by Tony Danza in a climactic scene.

Dan Quisenberry -Bill James wrote a nice obit for Dan in the New Historical Abstract; read it if you can. One quick note: In the 1983 and '84 seasons, Dan pitched 268 innings combined, and walked only 23.

Burt Hooton -Went directly from college to the majors. Pitched a no-hitter in his fourth career start. Relied on a knuckle curve he called "The Thang"...

Charlie Jamieson -Another largely forgotten guy, but he could play: 222 hits in 1923 and 213 in 1924. Triple plays are rare, and triple plays started by outfielders are even rarer; Charlie started two triple plays from the outfield in the same season (1928).
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?
    6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Re: Birthdays: 2/7

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Reds:

Charlie Puleo (57) -When the Reds allowed Seaver to finish out his career with the Mets, Charlie was part of what we got back for him...Okay... When I was a little kid, there was a group that used to appear on shows like Ed Sullivan called "Johnny Puleo and the Harmonica Gang". Johnny was a dwarf, or little person, and the act consisted of Johnny and his bandmates playing harmonicas and doing slapstick stuff- kicking each other in the shins and the like. I guess you had to be there; is anyone else out there old enough to remember this? Anyway, I'm wandering far afield here, but my point is that it's hard to take a guy seriously as a pitcher when you're wondering if he's related to a harmonica-playing dwarf.
    Man, am I glad that I'm not the only one whose mind runs in directions like this. We are few and far between on this board, chico.

Yes, I remember the Johnny Puleo group well. They were on all of the early TV variety shows like Millton Berle, etc. Talented and pretty entertaining, I thought, but, of course, back then just having a test pattern on the screen was enough to keep me watching.

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    Anyway, I'm wandering far afield here, but my point is that it's hard to take a guy seriously as a pitcher when you're wondering if he's related to a harmonica-playing dwarf.
    I think this is one of my all-time favorite sentences on RedsZone.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Burt Hooten never smiled. So Tommy LaSorda gave him the nickname "Happy".

I remember watching Ed Sullivan but don't remember the Puleo band.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post

I remember watching Ed Sullivan but don't remember the Puleo band.
    Here's Johnny Puleo but not from a Sullivan Show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Pnv42IRmNY

7. Likes:

cumberlandreds (02-08-2013)

Good old fashion slapstick comedy. That's something that's never seen anymore.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?