Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wilmington NC is the possible home of the Atlanta Braves A ball team in 2014.

Wilmington NC is the possible home of the Atlanta Braves A ball team in 2014.

I just saw on WWAY TV3 news that Frank Wren the Gm of the Atlanta Braves and Former Braves Manager Bobby Cox is in Wilmington, NC. They are discussing with city officials about getting a stadium built and options for either a 20 or 30 year lease.They want the A ball team to start play in 2014. Wilmington has previously hosted the Port City Roosters and the Wilmington Waves. Has anyone else with baseball connections heard anything about this?
    Last edited by Gallen5862; 02-07-2012 at 06:13 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    -The Insider-

Re: Wilmington NC is the possible home of the Atlanta Braves A ball team in 2014.

That doesn't surprise me. Atlanta owns all their minor league teams except High-A.

Re: Wilmington NC is the possible home of the Atlanta Braves A ball team in 2014.

Regarding the possibility of two California teams moving to the Carolina League...interesting development. This move would leave Lynchburg open if Atlanta moved to Wilmington. It would, under right circumstances, give Kinston a shot at getting another team. Very interesting. This could possibly land Cincy in the Carolina League after all.

Very interesting. They've been kicking around the idea of moving 2 California teams to Carolina for several years.

Frankly if Braves get Wilmington, I want Reds to zone in on Myrtle Beach. I don't think Kinston is ever getting a team again. I would think Fayetteville, NC and either Columbia or Charleston, SC would be the best fits if they don't stretch the league too far south.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Very interesting. They've been kicking around the idea of moving 2 California teams to Carolina for several years.

Frankly if Braves get Wilmington, I want Reds to zone in on Myrtle Beach. I don't think Kinston is ever getting a team again. I would think Fayetteville, NC and either Columbia or Charleston, SC would be the best fits if they don't stretch the league too far south.

You may be right about Kinston. Things would have to change there, that's why I said "under the right circumstances." To have had a team and sell them and immmediately say you're looking for another team has never made sense to me. I don't think Columbia or Charleston would be stretching the league too far geographically. I would like to see one of these cities get a team in the Carolina league. Charleston, S.C. currently is in the South Atlantic League. The article posted by Gallen5862 suggests the Braves are dead serious about this.

http://www.starnewsonline.com/articl...ail_newsletter

The Wilmington City Council on Tuesday unanimously voted to start negotiations that could lead to the Port City getting an Atlanta Braves minor league team.

The council passed a memorandum of understanding with Mandalay Baseball Properties and the Atlanta National League Baseball Club that started Tuesday and ends July 31 with the option for it to be extended. The city will be looking at how much it would cost to build a stadium, potential locations and what the level of public support would be.

http://www.starnewsonline.com/articl...ail_newsletter

Opponents of baseball plan trying to block deal

Josh Fulton, who lost his run for city council in November, and Ben McCoy, a critic of city council and also a former city council candidate, announced in a press release Wednesday they would attempt to get the necessary signatures for a "citizen-initiated ordinance."

City code allows the public to establish a city law if the ordinance has signatures from 25 percent of people who voted in the previous election. The ordinance then goes to the city council, which either must approve it or allow it to go to a public vote in a special election.

I'm posting the link below because it is somewhat relevant to this thread. The link is from Baseball America and written by David Hall of the Kinston Free Press. The article is on the Carolina Mudcats twitter page. Apparently Steve Bryant, owner of the Carolina Mudcats, has committed to helping Kinston get a minor league team. Knowing this, I would not rule out a return of MiLB to Kinston.

Gallen5862, keep the updates coming, this is very interesting.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...2/2612833.html

I didn't realize Charleston already had a team. I know if I were a business man trying to locate a team. Columbia and Fayetteville in that order would be on my radar. Kinston would not.

Lot of stuff rumors and potential stuff today:

Eerie may be going to Montreal

New Hampshire, Buffalo, or Birmington to Ottawa

Vermont, Batavia, or Jamestown to the team that goes to Ottawa

Lynchburg to Wilimington

Bakersfield and High Desert to Lynchburg and Kinston

If that falls, Braves will move Danville to Lynchburg

and one last thing Huntsville going to Bixoli, Mississippi
    Last edited by 19braves77; 02-09-2012 at 07:41 PM.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    That would be huge. Cincinnati already has well-established relationships with Goodyear, Billings, Dayton, and Louisville. Pensacola seems like it's off to a great start, too. If Bakersfield moves to a new city, the Reds could have an affiliate to be proud of at almost every level.

Quote Originally Posted by 19braves77 View Post
    Lot of stuff rumors and potential stuff today:

Eerie may be going to Montreal

New Hampshire, Buffalo, or Birmington to Ottawa

Vermont, Batavia, or Jamestown to the team that goes to Ottawa

Lynchburg to Wilimington

If that falls, Braves will move Danville to Lynchburg

and one last thing Huntsville going to Bixoli, Mississippi
    Erie to Montreal rumor is a surprise. The Tigers AA team was in London, Ontario years back before they ended up in Jacksonville, Florida. I looked at the Eastern League attendance page and they have removed all the stats from last year so I don't know where they placed in that category. I'm trying to figure out why they would go to Montreal.

I had wondered if Danville would get consideration for Lynchburg. Lynchburg couldn't wait to see Cincy leave and now they're looking at a situation where they're apparently going to be shopping for a team.

The ownership of the Hagerstown Suns (Low Class A; Sally League) has signed a letter of intent to move the team to a new Winchester (Va.) ballpark for the 2013 season under the terms of a pretty sweet lease proposal.

Got to get these stadiums built with interest rates low and builders willing to work around the clock to complete a project.

Erie and Bimington were last in the Eastern League in attendance.

When the Blue Jays signed a PDC with Vancouver, they had in mind moving all their affiliates into Canada. Currently, the flight from Las Vegas to Toronto is the longest distance for a MLB team from its AAA affiliate. It just makes sense for the Blue Jays to try to get Minor League Baseball back into Montreal, Ottawa, or Edmonton.
    http://diamondvisits.blogspot.com/ My Minor League stadium review site.

Good Stuff 19Braves77. If this info is on your web site I sure don't see it. Poking around I found this linl on Baseball America http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...2/2612956.html

It says that as part of the deal the Braves will insure Lynchburg gets a pro team, so the insurance of Danville going there makes sense.

Hope the 2 California teams to Carolina League happens.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    Hope the 2 California teams to Carolina League happens.
    According to the Lynchburg GM, it has already been decided for sure that Lynchburg will leave the Carolina League if Wilmington takes the Braves High A team. I find it a bit odd that this decision is already made regarding their future. I wonder if he is basing this on the attendance of the park in recent years, or maybe through some understanding with Atlanta on what level team they will help relocate there. Plus, it clouds the discussion on the two California teams to Carolina. If Lynchburg is out, Kinston's chances improve quite a bit if there are two teams moving east.
    Last edited by muddie; 02-11-2012 at 06:02 AM.

Turn Off Ads?